Author Topic: So do you Sew ~~3~~  (Read 12510 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Re: So do you Sew ~~3~~
« Reply #50 on: Nov 08, 2007, 07:40:09 AM »
I used rice in my "corn pillows".(microwave the bag and use like a heating pad) no chance of those darn grain moths. I personally wouldnt chance the wheat. I dont know how well the rice would do with the freezing though. Ya know how effective it'd be. Have to keep it dry too.
CORN PILLOW INSTRUCTIONS
another CORN PILLOW INSTRUCTIONS

I stuff my draft guards with regular poly fil stuffing. And yes they do work. Sand is way dusty and wears through the fabric quickly. I have made them with corn cob bedding you'd get on a pet shop. I have one of those I've had for about 15 years. {holy cow!} I've seen instructions with, rice, lentils and polypropelyne pellets(teeny plastic pellets like in bean bags, expensive and bad if kid or pet swallows any)for stuffing. Polyfil is the most economical.

If you make the guard or heat pillows just be sure whatever you stuff them with wont hurt a pet or kid if it gets ripped apart.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

MassMama

« Reply #51 on: Nov 08, 2007, 08:00:13 AM »
Good point wrennie.. I think I would use the rice as well.. I was looking through some sites and it said DON'T USE instant rice.. it will catch on fire easier.. and spritz it with some water or put a cup of water in the microwave with the pads  :ThumbUp:

Offline Patty S

« Reply #52 on: Nov 08, 2007, 08:44:39 AM »
I've always used pearl barley for my ice/heat pads & draft catchers. (The weight helps hold them in place in front of the doors, but they still slide away when the doors get opened. I don't have pets now, so I don't know if dogs would like them for chewies.) :dunno:

BG likes the smell of them when they're heated. (I don't smell anything!) Keith won't let me take 1 to church with me anymore, cuz he says it smells like somebody brought their lunch! :BigGrin:

christy

« Reply #53 on: Nov 08, 2007, 09:09:02 AM »
those are nice wrennie! i need to make a few for here too.   
penny sent me that rita i put it in my favs,  i lost the backers clay so woohoo got it again!! 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #54 on: Nov 08, 2007, 09:22:54 AM »
Yes, I'm glad they included putting a cup of water in with and next to the pillows.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #55 on: Nov 08, 2007, 09:34:49 AM »
Those are really nice Wren, and a great idea for a gift basket Triss!!
I found that link the other day too Rita, isnt it cool!

MassMama

« Reply #56 on: Nov 08, 2007, 10:25:03 AM »
it is a great link..  :Whis: all I need is another project right now  :laughmao:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #57 on: Nov 08, 2007, 11:42:04 AM »
Thanks for that link, it does give some good ideas and alternatives to put inside.  My worst moth problems have come from rice though so that one kinda worries me but I also keep my rice in the freezer so I know it can be safely frozen.  I worry about the corn popping if I used that one and someone stuck it in the microwave fro too long.  I will be including instructions with these.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #58 on: Nov 08, 2007, 05:50:56 PM »
Don't used popcorn, Triss. But cracked corn would be OK. I also keep my rice in the freezer.

christy

« Reply #59 on: Nov 09, 2007, 09:12:16 AM »
cracked corn ? as like ya buy for bird seed?
i got two more blocks to go on my quilt. then ill be puttin a black border around em. with the light green around it, n  my aunt is giving me a black sheet for the back. so its comming together.

Offline Tonya

« Reply #60 on: Nov 09, 2007, 09:59:28 AM »
Can't wait to see the finished product, Christy- you make some beautiful quilts!!

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #61 on: Nov 09, 2007, 11:40:07 AM »
I cannot wait to see it also Christy.  And nice that you have the backing already!  That is such a plus.

Thanks for the tip on the corn Tina.  I will be checking out all of the alternatives for price when I can get over to the feed store.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #62 on: Nov 09, 2007, 12:28:05 PM »
Grain moths can get into any of the above mentioned grains. But a microwave will keep those away if it is used often enough. Keeping them in a freezer will also keep the critters out and moisture in. Then you might need to micro a bit longer to warm.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #63 on: Nov 09, 2007, 12:30:43 PM »
I was thinking of having the instructions say to store in the freezer when not in use.  That will keep any buggers out of them.

MassMama

« Reply #64 on: Nov 11, 2007, 12:47:35 PM »
My Fifth quilt.. I still have several more to make .. I really like the way this one turned out though.  :ThumbUp:

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 04:45:24 PM by barleychown »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #65 on: Nov 11, 2007, 01:46:18 PM »
That is really nice looking, Rita. You go girl! 10 10 10 10 10 10

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #66 on: Nov 11, 2007, 01:48:01 PM »
Rita, that one turned out great! I really like the star. :ThumbUp:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

MassMama

« Reply #67 on: Nov 11, 2007, 01:51:46 PM »
Thanks!!  I really like how it turned out.. I think I only have 3 or more to make .. But I am having a tough time deciding on a design  :razberry:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #68 on: Nov 11, 2007, 06:43:25 PM »
That star is awesome.  Great job on that one Rita!  What about intertwining circles? The first inital of the last name?  a heart?

MassMama

« Reply #69 on: Nov 12, 2007, 06:41:50 AM »
I was kinda thinking of a heart too but am trying to stay away from Curves  :SmileyFear: With the denim being so thick I think it would pucker  :razberry: and be hard to handle ..
I spent a good part of the day trying to figure out how this thing worked..  :Whis:

Picture removed...

I think I finally figured it out. I have had it for about a year and was too intimidated to really try and figure it out..
But I thought it would be nice to finish the edges with it .. It won't cover any of the disigns and I can use alot of different colors if I want to  :ThumbUp:
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008, 08:01:35 AM by Dianna »

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #70 on: Nov 12, 2007, 01:33:32 PM »
you could do a heart with angles. Let me see if I can 'draw' one to show what I mean.....

OK cant figure out paint, but if you do a square 1/2 light & 1/2 dark thats the corner or rounded part....
Do you have some graph paper? Draw a heart but stay on the graph lines and where you'd want a curve go diagonally across the square. {{Make sense?}}
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2007, 01:39:56 PM by Wrennie »

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

christy

« Reply #71 on: Nov 12, 2007, 01:34:13 PM »
 :SmileyFear:  wow! that thing dose look scary with all the gagits on it!  :ThumbUp: good luck with it dose look like a neat [yet scary] toy to play with,

n i love the star denim!!! thats awsome!

goy done with my block today only one more to go, im takin a small break, got more holes in my finger than i care for  :laugh1:  :Crybaby: outch!

MassMama

« Reply #72 on: Nov 13, 2007, 06:08:13 AM »
OK I know why you don't have a machine ... but Where is the thimble Christy  :giggle: they have alot of really good ones out there.. If I ever need to get another one I think I will get the one made out of leather :ThumbUp:

I have a few days to think on it I have to get 2 backed .. one of which I am appliquing pictures on. takes a while .. I will post a pic when I am done  :clap:

I made a graph of 7x11 one inch squares. that is the basic dementions of my blanket. but they are 6 inch squares in reality  :ThumbUp:
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2007, 06:10:23 AM by Rita »

MassMama

« Reply #73 on: Nov 13, 2007, 08:41:35 AM »
And after picking out all the colors ect.. go figure Keith wants me to do a maltese cross one instead  :Groaner: :tapfoot1: I think I will still do both though  :ThumbUp:

christy

« Reply #74 on: Nov 13, 2007, 09:51:45 AM »
 :laughmao:  :Groaner:    those dag hubbys!  :laughmao: mine did the same, i got the pattern all drawn out to do a cat one next n my hubs wants me to do a dog one,  :rolleyes1: ill do both too  :laughpound:
i do have a thimble just never use it, drives me crazy when i do. never seen a leather one, will have to look for one n try it.  :ThumbUp:
alls i need for the cat is some black or dark blue with stars fabric, ill look for the leather thimble when i go for the fabric,  those sound neat!, bet they dont feel like you gotta big bulky thing on your finger gettin in the way!  :grinnnn: thanks rita  :grinnnn:

i said i was takin a break but i did 2 strips of the last block last night,  :laughpound: couldnt help myself,

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal