Author Topic: Convection Ovens  (Read 2590 times)

Offline patches

Convection Ovens
« on: Oct 17, 2007, 02:19:16 AM »
Hey, I just wondering if anyone has a convection oven or if they have ever used one of them?  :SmileyQmarks:  I just recently purchased one and it came with some general instructions regarding suggested cooking time and temperatures for certain meats, but there were NO recipes.  :SmileyFit: Actually, except for saying that it cooks much faster and at lower temperatures than recipes usually call for, there really was not much else in the way of information on how to use it.   :ScratchHead: 
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007, 02:22:29 AM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Re: Convection Ovens
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2007, 11:50:48 AM »
I don't have one but I've heard they cook much faster than regular ovens.  Conversion Information

Some additional info: Most recipes can be adjusted for convection oven use by decreasing the temperature by 25 degrees F and decreasing cooking time about 25%. Dishes with cooking times over 45 minutes, and that might dry out too much (like lasagna, or meatloaf) you should cover for the first half of the cooking time, and then remove the cover.

you could check and see if you're library has any convection cookbooks like : The best convection oven cookbook by Linda Stephen.  Maybe they could do an interlibrary loan for you, if they don't have any.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2007, 12:14:05 PM »
Hi Patti.....i do have one and the first few times you cook, just stay close by and keep an eye on the food, the key is NOT to open the door often, but they are great and do cook things faster.

Offline patches

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2007, 12:23:06 PM »
:Wow: THANKS!!!  The information at the link you posted is great!  :ThumbUp:  I don't know why they couldn't have included something like that with my oven.   :unsure: I never think to try our library because they tend to be a little behind the times when it comes to the more practical (how-to) books,  :smileyNo: and I always come up empty handed when I go there, but I will check with them.  I will also check at school since I believe their inter-library loan system is more extensive.  

Thanks again!!!   :kissies:  
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline patches

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2007, 04:42:17 PM »
Okay, I've been messing around with this oven.  :Whis:  Penny, does yours have the option of turning off the convection feature?   :SmileyQmarks:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2007, 07:28:35 PM »
Mine was a convection/microwave, Patti. I could cook in either mode or in a combo. I gave it to my son a year or so ago. The micro wasn't as powerful as more modern ones. But the convection worked well. I just didn't take advantage of it.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline patches

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2007, 08:16:12 PM »
Well, this is all new to me, and I'm very interested in getting to know how to work it.  I bought this because my regular oven hasn't been as reliable as it used to be for pies and cakes.  :smileyNo: The biggest problem seemed to be when I was making custard pies and bread pudding, so I thought maybe this could fill the gap for the holidays.  :idea: 
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007, 08:18:06 PM by patches »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal