Author Topic: Canna Lilies  (Read 2270 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Canna Lilies
« on: Oct 19, 2007, 03:00:26 PM »
I think I have canna lilies growing in my pond.  They do not like my zone.  What am I supposed to do, so that I can put them "away" for the cold fall and winter?  Should I wait for it to naturally die down or hack off the leaves and put in my cellar.  I've read about putting them in perlite or wrapping in newspaper?   :unsure: :ScratchHead:  Suggestions??

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Canna Lilies
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2007, 03:11:11 PM »
May I ask what zone you are in? I know here in zone 8 they spread like crazy, but have heard others in lower zones have trobles with them.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

christy

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2007, 03:39:14 PM »
most cannas are tender perennials in colder zones,  im in zone 6 n have to dig m up in fall to store overwinter, i folded em in newspaper, stuck em up in the coubard,then have to start them early indoors in spring to blooms,
i left mine out to long last year n lost em. they didnt die back as soon as they use to,
if they still have good groth on em you could pot em up n stick in your cellar n wait till they die back. then cut the dead off n store em.
there are some that are hardy for my zone,  i didnt know that till njoynit gave me one, she said its hardy n should withstand my cold zone, so im leavin it in the ground.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2007, 07:16:56 PM »
I am in zone 5b or 6a.  I've been told they do not like our winters which occasionally drop below 0.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal