Author Topic: Any ideas? [Solved] Alternanthera Red Threads  (Read 4182 times)

Offline patches

Any ideas? [Solved] Alternanthera Red Threads
« on: Oct 19, 2007, 06:25:02 PM »
I was trying to clean out between the garden shed and fence, but it's hard to get to since there's not enough room for a human body to get through there.  :smileyNo: When I was raking out some of the sticks and leaves I uncovered something that is kinda pretty, but I don't know if it's a weed.  :ScratchHead: Geesh, even if it looks nice I don't want it getting in my beds and taking over everything.  :SmileyFit:  Any ideas???   ???

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2007, 09:16:11 PM by Jim »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2007, 06:38:18 PM »
Google these:Tradescantia pallida, Setcreasea purpurea,Setcreasea pallida

It really reminds me of a houseplant I have had off and on through the years. The part in the lower left corner relly looks like Tradescantia zebrina.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2007, 06:59:20 PM »
The part in the lower left corner relly looks like Tradescantia zebrina.

Would that be a "Purple Wandering Jew" in plain language, Sarah? That's what I thought when I first saw it, too...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2007, 07:08:57 PM »
It is...but I've been yelled at so many times for calling it that.

It's a good houseplant, and if that is what it is in Patti's yard, it should die with the first frost, unless she takes a clump of it indoors.

I wonder if a bird could have dropped it there? I know if I put mine outside birds pick at it...
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2007, 07:14:24 PM »
Why in the world would someone yell at you for using a name that most people would recognize and be able to pronounce? :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

MassMama

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2007, 07:40:45 PM »
Ive been yelled at for saying that word too.. It is the common NAME for crying out loud!!  :unsure: :ScratchHead: :Whis: Looks like the same one to me too..  :ThumbUp:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2007, 10:25:38 PM »
The lower left corner is for sure Wandering Jew... I have it in the house and LOVE it... an awesome houseplant.  All of the stuff in the middle, I dunno but if it is in the same family, I would love some if you decide to salvage it.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline patches

« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:33:08 PM »
Well, I knew what the Wandering Jew was because the fence is right next where my neighbor puts her yard waste.  When we got the heat wave she dumped two pots of   Wandering Jew there, so I figured some of it just came through the fence.   :ScratchHead:

I was wondering what the red plant is?  :dunno: The leaves that weren't buried under leaves are fire engine red, but the ones that didn't get any sun are darker.
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:35:59 PM »
Are they rounded leaves as they appear in the pic?

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline patches

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:38:45 PM »
Actually, they are very long and narrow, but I couldn't get the camera any closer.   :smileyNo:

christy

« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:40:21 PM »
i agree the two in the corners are wanderin jews the stuff in the middle look abit more like rhodo same family as the wandering jew
http://www.gflora.com/index.php?cmd=genus&family_id=20

christy

« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2007, 01:26:57 AM »

Offline patches

« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2007, 01:41:14 AM »
Hey, Christy, I think you got it!  :ThumbUp: The first picture at the link you sent is exactly what it looks like when I clicked on full size image.   ;)  Thanks!!!   :NewHug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal