Author Topic: Whats for dinner 2  (Read 14600 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Re: Whats for dinner 2
« Reply #25 on: Nov 03, 2007, 06:50:05 PM »
Patty, I've heard the same things and I use a thermometer to make sure pork has the right temp.  A certain temp will kill off the bacteria and the meat will still be wonderfully moist.  I cook my pork tenderloin on the grill also, but usually I slather it up with some Curly's Hickory BBQ sauce.  Tonight we're having one of the best mexican dishes I've ever made: Mexican Style Shredded Pork.  Unfortunately, I ran out of money for the lime and cilantro for the rice, but I'm sure it is going to be great anyway.  You know, Chipotle's rice in lime and cilantro, and now I'm really starting to wish I'd bought the ingredients for it.   Bad Sarah! :Whack:    I've learned my lesson.   This pork is also going to make pork tacos, and pork enchiladas in the next few days.  Would be great for a Once A Month Cooking plan.

By the way, I've never cooked venison but I've got no problems eating Bambi.   :laughmao:
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2007, 06:51:55 PM by landofoz »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #26 on: Nov 03, 2007, 07:31:43 PM »
I love venison. I like Bambi burgers. I just don't think of Bambi while  cooking or eating. Tonight it is hamburger and something. I just haven't decided on the something yet and it's 4:30 already. Last night we had T-bones w/baked taters and green beans.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline patches

« Reply #27 on: Nov 03, 2007, 08:14:10 PM »
Sarah/LOZ, I checked your recipe and it sounds good, but with three pounds of meat I would be eating this for a month.  I saved the recipe and may use it sometime when I have some people over. :wink5:

Geesh, Tina, your T-bone steaks, with baked potatoes and green beans sounds great, too.  :ThumbUp:  Of course, everything sounds better than the Sloppy Joes, baked beans and the potato chips combination that I didn't get to make last night, so that was my dinner for tonight.  Pretty boring!    :Whis:
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2007, 08:18:01 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 03, 2007, 08:53:43 PM »
You could always freeze the extra, Patches.  Then pull it out and make it into whatever as you go.  Or you could just shrink it down to fit.  It's so very good!  I love it!!  And it's surprisingly filling or maybe it was the rice.  I tried this new stuff: Basamati or something like that.  It's an indian rice and cost just as much as regular white rice so I thought I'd try it.  It smelled so good cooking -- who knew rice had a smell?  And the taste and texture were much better than regular long-grain white. 

Offline patches

« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2007, 12:16:11 AM »
Actually, Tina, that is something I will do when I have company and can freeze what's left over.  :idea: The only freezer I have is one on my refrigerator which is fairly small, so I have to have a pretty quick turnover of the things in my freezer, and I really don't think this is something I would eat once or twice a week.  :smileyNo: 

It sounds like you're talking about Basmati rice, but it's a lot more than regular rice at store here.  Is it longer than regular rice?  Does it have a nutty taste?  Actually, I've never cooked it, so I don't know how it smells when it's cooking.  Last year, at our Christmas party one of the professors brought a rice dish that was awesome! :Yahoo:  I asked him what it was and he gave me the recipe, but I never tried it.  Honestly, I forgot about it until I saw this.   :SlapSelf:   

"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #30 on: Nov 04, 2007, 12:58:53 AM »
I love Basmati. I love Jasmine rice too. I can eat that plain just because of the aroma. It doesn't smell like jasmine or perfume-y. It just smells heavenly. And is larger than long grain and cooks more separately, not sticky. Jasmine does cost a little more than the regular rices but it is worth it.
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2007, 01:00:40 AM by Tina »

Offline patches

« Reply #31 on: Nov 04, 2007, 01:26:33 AM »
Tina, do you think the Basmati rice has a nutty flavor?  :SmileyQmarks:  I couldn't think of anything else in the recipe I got which would cause that nutty taste.  :dunno: I love all kinds of rice, and I guess that's why I first started making stir-fry.  I will even make some extra white rice so I can have some for dessert with cream and a little sugar.  ;)  Of course, when I have steak, London Broil, baked chicken or turkey, it seems I only like the wild rice with those meals.  :wink5:
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2007, 01:37:06 AM by patches »

MassMama

« Reply #32 on: Nov 04, 2007, 06:46:32 AM »
I was tired and lazy to go too wild with dinner last night ..
We had Delminico steak with lipton chicken flavored rice..  :Blush: yep that was it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #33 on: Nov 04, 2007, 08:11:51 AM »
If you take the pork loin off the grill when it is still slightly pink in the middle and then let it rest for 30 or 40 minutes it will finish cooking and it will be much moister than if you cook it all the way through on the grill. 

For moister pork chops bread them and then bake them but do not salt them until they are on the dinning room table.  Again remove them from the oven while they are still slightly pink in the center and let them rest for 10 to 15 minutes so they will finish cooking.  This allows the juice to return to the inside of the meat.

America Test Kitchen strikes again.  I love that program. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #34 on: Nov 04, 2007, 08:25:07 AM »
I need to buy some basmati and test it out, Patti. I just don't remember. I've used only jasmine the last few years. I tried out several kinds for a while. I wasn't too happy with the brown rices I tried. They were nuttier in flavor but cooking to a nice texture was tricky. And long.
I love food textures as much as flavors.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 04, 2007, 11:32:38 AM »
The basmati is definitely longer than regular white rice.  The brand is Mahatama.  It was on a lower shelf with the same brand white rice and Jasmine, which is also new to my store.  All were packaged in 32 oz bags for 1.99.  It was a lot less sticky and starchy tasting then regular white rice.  I don't think the flavor was nutty but it was mixed in with the pork, so the flavor may have been more in the background.  Even Adam said, "Don't know what you did to the rice but it's good."  And he usually hates rice.

Offline patches

« Reply #36 on: Nov 04, 2007, 02:25:41 PM »
Geesh, Sarah/LOZ, I don't know what brand the Basmati rice I saw was, but it very certainly more expensive than $1.99.  :( However, I went to the store the professor told me about and it was a specialty shop, so everything was expensive.  Actually, I never even thought about checking the regular supermarkets. :SlapSelf: Hmmm, maybe the new Super Wal-Mart would have it.   :idea:
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2007, 02:30:25 PM by patches »

MassMama

« Reply #37 on: Nov 04, 2007, 04:11:46 PM »
tonight I am having Chicken.. Not sure what kind yet but Kinda leaning toward spicy chicken burritos.. fast and easy..

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #38 on: Nov 04, 2007, 04:35:14 PM »
Well, I have a pot roast in the crock pot. Not sure what I'm going to do with it exactly. But I have time to plan yet.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #39 on: Nov 04, 2007, 04:44:01 PM »
Tacos for us tonight, kids requested them and it is a nice and easy dinner for a football night.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline patches

« Reply #40 on: Nov 04, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »
Hey Tina, I'm doing pot roast, too, but I'm making mine of the top of the stove!  Due to a change in plans it was too late to use my crockpot. :SmileyFit: They are having our annual Wurstmart over at church today. I was planning on going and meeting a couple of friends there, but then decided I wasn't in the mood for sausage and sauerkraut,  :smileyNo: so pot roast sounded like a good option.    ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2007, 04:53:22 PM by patches »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #41 on: Nov 04, 2007, 04:56:12 PM »
I dumped mine fully frozen into the crock at 10ish on high. Hopefully it will be ready to eat at a decent time. It doesn't have to be falling apart. I would kind of like to slice it.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #42 on: Nov 04, 2007, 06:04:29 PM »
Geesh, Sarah/LOZ, I don't know what brand the Basmati rice I saw was, but it very certainly more expensive than $1.99.  :( However, I went to the store the professor told me about and it was a specialty shop, so everything was expensive.  Actually, I never even thought about checking the regular supermarkets. :SlapSelf: Hmmm, maybe the new Super Wal-Mart would have it.   :idea:

I do almost all my shopping at Super Wally World, it is where I got my rice.  We're having that pork from last night in tortillas, with a generous amount of cheese, rolled up and smothered in homemade enchilada sauce and some additional cheese and then some sour cream.  Mmmmmmm, it's gonna be good....

MassMama

« Reply #43 on: Nov 04, 2007, 06:23:07 PM »
 :Wow: what is wrong with me.. I  switched my dinner to a toss in the oven pot pie  :Blush:
Everyones dinner sounds yummy!!

Sarah have you seen my taco sauce canning recipe? It is really good Keith says he will never buy store brand again :grinnnn:

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #44 on: Nov 04, 2007, 06:33:22 PM »
Really?  I may have to hunt it down, is it on here, Rita?  I know that we love your salsa recipe. 

MassMama

« Reply #45 on: Nov 04, 2007, 08:44:49 PM »
 :Blush: I already used up all my salsa this year  :Blush:
It is hold on I will look for ya Ok here it is.. Really good!!

http://www.southernspirithunters.com/smf/index.php/topic,603.0.html

Also love it cause you can make it any time of the year ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2007, 08:48:01 PM by Rita »

Offline patches

« Reply #46 on: Nov 04, 2007, 11:40:15 PM »
Hey, Rita, it sounds good, but I don't do canning.  :smileyNo: I could, however, add some of your ingredients to my salsa recipe, but I'll do mild.  :laughpound: 

MassMama

« Reply #47 on: Nov 05, 2007, 07:17:13 AM »
you don't have to can it Patti.. It will last a few months in the fridge.
 :ThumbUp:
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2007, 08:51:03 AM by Patty S »

Offline Tonya

« Reply #48 on: Nov 05, 2007, 05:28:23 PM »
Tonight is Fried chicken, pinto beans and cornbread. :542: And it is done, so :wavey: :542:

Offline patches

« Reply #49 on: Nov 05, 2007, 05:35:04 PM »
Okay, Rita, thanks!!!   :thx:

Tonight I'm trying something different with chicken.  :unsure: It's Balsamic Chicken and it really sounds good.  ;) I'm fixing some wild rice and Blue Lake whole green beans with it, so that should hold me through my class tonight.  I get hungry when I have my night clesses because the students are always bringing in food and it always looks so good.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal