Author Topic: Sewing Help and Questions  (Read 15459 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Re: Sewing Help and Questions
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2007, 01:53:35 PM »
I think those will work great together! (I have some of the same as the next to bottom one! :BigGrin: )

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

MassMama

« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 2007, 02:36:54 PM »
Now to figure out what color will go here or there.. should all the blocks be the same or should I switch the colors around in each one?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #27 on: Nov 09, 2007, 08:36:44 PM »
Being as you have all of the material in one place and there are multiple, repeat shapes, you could cut enough for a couple of blocks and lay them out to decide what appeals to you.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2007, 08:51:59 PM by Tina »
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

MassMama

« Reply #28 on: Nov 09, 2007, 08:45:58 PM »
OK thanks I will do the same one several times and then see if it is what I want.. I know some colors are only a couple squares soo I was wondering if I switched it I could save on yardige SP only if it wouldn't compremise the quilt  :dunno:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #29 on: Nov 09, 2007, 10:16:04 PM »
Those colors are awesome Rita... do you have a thought on what is going to go where yet?

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

christy

« Reply #30 on: Nov 10, 2007, 03:40:44 AM »
i love those fabrics rita!!!  :ThumbUp:  i was playin in paint with em  :Whis:  :grinnnn:  gives ya kinda ideas without havin to cut your fabric up.

alls ya need is a pick of your fabric, cut out the shapes  n draw the block in paint.  just  copy n past the shapes were ya want em.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 04:31:22 PM by Dianna »

MassMama

« Reply #31 on: Nov 10, 2007, 06:36:47 AM »
 :Wow: Christy THANKS!! What a great Idea.. I am going to try and figure out how to use the paint program!!  :ThumbUp:  :clap:

:Wacko: Was trying to figure it out and Wellll its going to take some time  :laughpound:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #32 on: Nov 10, 2007, 01:30:55 PM »
Very cool Christy.  I love how the bottom left one looks.  The star points in gold are so pretty.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

MassMama

« Reply #33 on: Nov 10, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
I like that one too...  :ThumbUp:
I just cut out all the pieces for my 5th denim quilt... Will this ever end  :Groaner:

christy

« Reply #34 on: Nov 11, 2007, 11:34:37 AM »
rita you could just save the cut out pics i did of you fabrics n either right click n open it with paint , or go to paint n edit it in, just click on edit , n pick "past from" n it lets ya choose what to put in it.
how many denim quilts are ya doin?

MassMama

« Reply #35 on: Nov 11, 2007, 05:29:53 PM »
I just finished #5 .. I still have I think only 4 left to do.. I finally figured out how to use my serger and I am using that to finish the edges .. Works out alot faster .. I can make one a day  :ThumbUp: well when I am not feeling lazy!!  :BigGrin:

christy

« Reply #36 on: Nov 11, 2007, 08:31:54 PM »
cool rits those mechines are alot faster than hands lol  wow your gettin em done fast!!
i did more pics with your fabrics,  are ya gonna do the blocks all the same or diffrent? if ya do em diffrent you could take one of the colors out the blocks, n add a block border around em, or buy another fabric to put around em,  or just put em all together without a border between em.

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 04:31:39 PM by Dianna »

MassMama

« Reply #37 on: Nov 11, 2007, 08:48:16 PM »
 :ScratchHead: :unsure: they all look good .. I think that is why I was thinking of changing em up a bit and doing one of each block. the possibilities are endless  :SlapSelf: and I am very indecisive
The denim ones are fast.. I have had a LOT of practice though  :Whis: Kills my rotary blade like mad though.

christy

« Reply #38 on: Nov 11, 2007, 09:10:20 PM »
good thing you have plenty of time to figure it out,   when you get the idea of what to do you'll know,
its like havin all these ideas commin at ya till one hits ya lol.

MassMama

« Reply #39 on: Nov 12, 2007, 06:27:22 AM »
Yeah I have a graph of the blocks that if I get an idea I just scratch out a drawing most of them are too hard for me.
I kinda goofed on Making the pattern.. The angles did not line up as well as I hoped .. Next time I will piece it together alot better so I don't have the same goofs  :ThumbUp:

christy

« Reply #40 on: Nov 22, 2007, 10:19:59 AM »
heres some helpful how tos n patterns links, x x x x x x x x x x x

Quilting Lessons

free quilt Patterns
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008, 08:54:41 AM by Rita »

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #41 on: Nov 22, 2007, 10:21:57 AM »
Hey, these are great links......thanks so much Christy!!!
I have saved these ones!

MassMama

« Reply #42 on: Nov 23, 2007, 07:49:59 AM »
Great sites Christy.

I am having a problem with the actual quilting part I don't get it.

OK you do the top then you layer it .. I get all that . Then you baste it together with the heavy material I use it still shifts around. :tickedoff: Should I use the spray or something different? The pins are Not working and it would be to tough to do it by hand  :unsure:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #43 on: Nov 23, 2007, 08:16:38 AM »
You can use a quilting hoop. looks like a big wooden embroidery hoop. Start in the center & work your way out.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

christy

« Reply #44 on: Nov 23, 2007, 12:15:01 PM »
i wanna get one of thoses hoop n give it a try!!
safty pins [the kind ya use for cloth baby dipars] works better then the needle lookin pins, keeps it latched in so meterial dont shift around,  i use the needle lookin pins cause their easier n faster to take out as im sewin.
i herd the spray works great but remember to spray lighty, or it makes your meterial rougher n hard to sew through, leat that what i read bout it, cant do no more n try:}

MassMama

« Reply #45 on: Nov 23, 2007, 07:14:31 PM »
I tried the big ones(safty pins)  and the hoop would not fit either I tried so I think I will have to use a spray,,  :SmileyFit: Thought the denim would of been heavy enough to sit flat but the seams are what is making it tough :rolleyes1:

christy

« Reply #46 on: Nov 25, 2007, 08:59:35 PM »
never know rita ya might find ya like the spray,  let us know how it works for ya, you could spray a few scraps first just to got a feel for it, like whats to much spray n whats not enough spray

if any one wants to try makin a bootie slipper heres the link  :ThumbUp: these are so easy to do!
http://www.tomfarrell.org/textiles/articles/slippers/
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008, 08:38:02 PM by Rita »

MassMama

« Reply #47 on: Nov 25, 2007, 09:45:34 PM »
I think I will try it I just have to find time to go and get some  :razberry: :razberry: this is such a busy time of year for me!!

MassMama

« Reply #48 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:09:26 AM »
There are a couple things that will cause thread break.. Here are a few things you can do and check..
Oil the machine. should be done every few weeks if you sew alot.
Change the needle
Change the thread and the bobbin thread
Losen the tention.
Wrong needle or wrong fabric being used with the wrong settings .. I am going to copy and paste this in the sewing help area in hobbies as well.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #49 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:42:50 PM »
There are a couple things that will cause thread break..

Also, remember that thread (like any other fabric) deteriorates with age, so don't be fooled into thinking that you're getting a bargain when you buy thread at yard sales & thrift shops! (Somebody is getting rid of them for a reason!) :wink5:

I learned this the hard way & almost gave up sewing! :tickedoff:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal