Author Topic: Sewing Help and Questions  (Read 15458 times)

christy

Re: Sewing Help and Questions
« Reply #75 on: Dec 27, 2007, 11:01:39 AM »
penny my hubs got it at rite aid,  for only 20bucks!! 
ill take notes rita! didnt think of that thanks,  ill have lots of time to practice, this appliquein is gonna take awile, i hurryed up with perry n noticed the stiches arent so great so in takin my time with dixies, so ill have lots of time to get the feel fot the tension thing, n how it dose on what kinda fabric n  wich speed to use n all that,
dianna im so happy too lol were was the internet when i had the big singer machine! bet i wouldnt of tossed it out the door! waaaaaaa [ k i tried to toss it, didnt go very far since it was so heavy! ]

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #76 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:35:08 PM »
Holy cow.....$20.00 bucks, really, geeeez i wish we had a Riteaid up here......gonna check some second hand stores to see what they have here.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #77 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:37:21 PM »
I am hoping that with Aunt Bonnie's and everyone's online help, that I won't be tempted to throw my new machine out the door, Christy. Mine is pretty light, so I bet I could toss it off the porch. ;)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

christy

« Reply #78 on: Dec 27, 2007, 03:13:27 PM »
dianna i bet you do great with it, specialy with bonnie showing you how hands on  :ThumbUp:  hands on learning is easier than just reading instructions, least for me it is,

my mechine is doin good!!  :banana02:  i got 2 blocks of 4 sewd together with it!! ill put em up for a futchure scrap block quilt. figured id pratice with them cause it realy dont matter if i mess em up. so far i learned to give the thread a little tug to judge the tension n see if i need to fix it before sewin

MassMama

« Reply #79 on: Dec 29, 2007, 06:13:55 PM »
 :ScratchHead: wonder if Dianna will be getting the sewing lessons this weekend at Aunt Bonnies..  :grinnnn:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #80 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:08:40 AM »
Hands on learning and teaching is way much easier for me too Christy! $20! Wow! googling now to find the closest Rite-Aid!

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

christy

« Reply #81 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:25:51 PM »
hope ya get one wrennie!! they went fast here

thought id share a link, wallmart has free patterns
free Patterns from Wal-Mart

:ScratchHead: never seen em at our wall mart, but then i didnt know to look, guess next time ill look,
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008, 08:57:08 AM by Rita »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #82 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:13:13 PM »
While quilting is the subject right now, I have a question...

I have some hand-sewn quilt tops that my mother-in-law gave me that her mother-in-law gave her. What is my next step to see them made into quilts? :dunno:

Do I have to have a frame and six ladies helping me sew it together?

If I do, will anyone be visiting in the area any time soon? :BigGrin:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

MassMama

« Reply #83 on: Dec 31, 2007, 12:08:26 AM »
would love to come visit with all the snow were getting right now..
Would you happen to have a picture Dianna?
It sounds like it would be sandwich time for you.
where you would put the layers together and sew a design on them.. 

Here is a video that will show you how..
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/video/index.html

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008, 08:58:05 AM by Rita »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #84 on: Dec 31, 2007, 12:45:56 AM »
Layers? Layers of what? I don't have the first clue about quilting, either! :giggle:

Here are a couple of the quilt tops:

Mom Moore had lots of tops stored in an old farmhouse. I have a few more that she let me have...

MassMama

« Reply #85 on: Dec 31, 2007, 12:49:36 AM »
the top piece the squishy middle and the backing. You pile them all together and quilt the top. I used the basting spray and LOVED it a little goes a LONG way.. that Video link I posted will show you a Lot  :ThumbUp:
Those are beautiful pieces.. I love the colors in them
I think I did this right this is the Quilt top directions
Video
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2007, 01:06:05 AM by Rita »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #86 on: Dec 31, 2007, 01:06:40 AM »
Hmmmm. :ScratchHead: I read through a couple of the "how-to's" and it is sort of intimidating to me...

:SmileyFear:

I might ought to concentrate on learning how to sew, before I worry about it, anyway.....

:grinnnn:
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2007, 01:13:11 AM by Dianna »

MassMama

« Reply #87 on: Dec 31, 2007, 01:39:20 AM »
Is this your machine?  If so just thread it up .. you put the thread in the guides and should have no problems

christy

« Reply #88 on: Dec 31, 2007, 05:14:42 AM »
layers is like a cake
your backing is your plate,  :ThumbUp:   you can use a sheet, or any huge pice of fabric thats the size of your top
your batting  is your cake,  :ThumbUp: the fluffy stuff in the middle, you can buy at walmart, or use a old blanket
your top pice is your decorative icing,  :ThumbUp:  the quilt you put together n decorated yourself,

after ya samwiched em together ya sew em together,

:idea1:  dont know if that helped,  i need to go to bed,  :yawn:  :Wacko:

those are beauitful tops dianna!
love the block pattern
n love the string pice! i wanna try one some day,

MassMama

« Reply #89 on: Dec 31, 2007, 08:47:36 AM »
I think I found Just what you need Dianna here it is A learn to thread a machine Video..
Lets see here ..

Yep here we go Learn to sew!
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2008, 09:18:28 AM by Rita »

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #90 on: Dec 31, 2007, 09:47:54 AM »
Wow, what a cool link Rita, saved that link myself, lots of info there!!!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #91 on: Dec 31, 2007, 09:57:55 AM »
I love that 9 patch Dianna!(the one on the left) The other is pretty too.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

christy

« Reply #92 on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:24:13 AM »
 :Wow: awsome site rita!  lots great info there,  :ThumbUp:  :ThumbUp:  :ThumbUp:  :ThumbUp:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #93 on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:39:49 AM »
Hands on learning and teaching is way much easier for me too Christy! $20! Wow! googling now to find the closest Rite-Aid!

There's one in Kingston, i see  :grinnnn: :grinnnn: :grinnnn:
Maybe we can check it out in February  :banana02: :banana02:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #94 on: Dec 31, 2007, 12:08:52 PM »
There are a couple in Kingston. Hmm now where did I se that post? Hold on.....

zHere it is. Read this Penny
http://www.southernspirithunters.com/smf/index.php/topic,1531.msg36751.html#msg36751
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2007, 12:11:22 PM by Wrennie »

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #95 on: Dec 31, 2007, 12:14:27 PM »
 :Glee: :Glee: Well i still want to go to Riteaid, looks like a cool store!!!  :ThumbUp: :ThumbUp:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #96 on: Dec 31, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Is this your machine?

Yes, it is, Rita. I sure would hate to see a complicated one if this one is simple! :BigGrin:

Thank you for the link. Would you whack me on the head if I told you that my machine came with a dvd that may show me how to thread it? :giggle: I just haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but I think that all my friends here can help me more than a dvd, anyway. :grinnnn: I might get up the nerve to try sometime later this week. You are on "call", right? :laugh1:

layers is like a cake
your backing is your plate,  :ThumbUp:   you can use a sheet, or any huge pice of fabric thats the size of your top
your batting  is your cake,  :ThumbUp: the fluffy stuff in the middle, you can buy at walmart, or use a old blanket
your top pice is your decorative icing,  :ThumbUp:  the quilt you put together n decorated yourself,

after ya samwiched em together ya sew em together,

:idea1:  dont know if that helped

Yes, it did. Thank you, Christy. Samwiched sounds like a good way to put it!

MassMama

« Reply #97 on: Dec 31, 2007, 04:36:55 PM »
Is this your machine?

You are on "call", right? :laugh1:

Yep any time you need help Dianna .. At least I can see the picture and go from there  :idea: I have a web cam... I wonder if that would work to show you a live step by step like on Yahoo or something ?? Mine is VERY simalar!!  :clap:
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2007, 07:57:13 PM by Jim »

MassMama

« Reply #98 on: Dec 31, 2007, 05:36:50 PM »
I'm going to lock this one up before we get over the limit.. I sure hope you are enjoying this thread and we all can help eachother some more  :ThumbUp:
 :thclosed:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal