Author Topic: Chocolate Mousse  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Chocolate Mousse
« on: Nov 11, 2007, 08:59:04 PM »
My mom sent this one to me and I tried it tonight.  Great stuff.   And if you are nervous about using raw eggs, this website gives awesome instructions for making your eggs safer.  Raw Eggs 

This Epicurious.com recipe:
DARK CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
has been sent to you from Mom

Mom wants you to know: This is easy and yummy...read all the reviews...especially the first one about the safety of raw eggs. I'll be sending more

You can view the complete recipe online at: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/231332

DARK CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
4 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter, diced
2 tablespoons espresso or hot water
1 cup cold heavy cream
3 large eggs, separated
1 tablespoon sugar
Combine the chocolate, butter, and espresso in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not simmering, water, stirring frequently until smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool until the chocolate is just slightly warmer than body temperature. To test, dab some chocolate on your bottom lip. It should feel warm. If it is too cool, the mixture will seize when the other ingredients are added.

Meanwhile, whip the cream to soft peaks, then refrigerate. Once the melted chocolate has cooled slightly, whip the egg whites in a medium bowl until they are foamy and beginning to hold a shape. Sprinkle in the sugar and beat until soft peaks form.

When the chocolate has reached the proper temperature, stir in the yolks. Gently stir in about one-third of the whipped cream. Fold in half the whites just until incorporated, then fold in the remaining whites, and finally the remaining whipped cream.

Spoon or pipe the mousse into a serving bowl or individual dishes. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours. (The mousse can be refrigerated for up to a day.)

Bouchon
By Thomas Keller with Jeffrey Cerciello
2006-05-16 16:12:53.0

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Chocolate Mousse
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2007, 09:07:26 PM »
Thanks for posting this recipe, Triss. Did you say in the SL that you will be serving this in chocolate bowls? I don't believe I have ever seen any of those. Do you make those, too?
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2007, 09:12:21 PM »
I am going to serve them in a type of chocolate bowl.  Going to be playing with that this week and see what I can come up with.  I have never made them before either but was thinking it would be a great do ahead project and one I could store pretty easily in a cake pan with a lid if the mousse was in some kind of small chocolate bowl.  Will see if I can actually make that happen.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline patches

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2007, 07:14:18 PM »
Oh, Triss, this recipe sounds absolutely wonderful and Chocolate Mousse is one of my favorites. :Wow: Of course, when I get started on it, I find it hard to stop!  :Whis:  It just seems to go down so smoothly!   :laughmao:
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2007, 07:16:44 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline patches

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2007, 03:40:11 AM »
Okay, here's my recipe for Chocolate Mousse Pie!  It can also be made in a regular pie shell (baked), but I like the chocolate crumb crust better.   ;) 

Chocolate Mousse Pie

Ingredients:
1 (9 inch) chocolate crumb crust
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup white sugar
4 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Sprinkle the gelatin on top of 2 tablespoons water. Separate the eggs.

In a small saucepan, heat the chocolate, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons water, and coffee; stir constantly until melted. Add the softened gelatin to tha saucepan, and heat until it's completely dissolved. Remove pan from heat, and gradually beat in egg yolks. Return to pan to heat. Cook until mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool slightly.

While chocolate mixture is cooling, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar, and beat until stiff but not dry. Fold whipped egg whites into chocolate mixture. Whip 1/2 cup cream until stiff, and fold into chocolate mixture. Spoon into pie crust. Chill.

To Make Topping: Add cocoa and confectioners' sugar to 1 cup whipping cream. Chill mixture 30 minutes, then whip until stiff. Stir in almond extract and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Top the pie with this chocolate whipped cream. Chill several hours or overnight until set (I chill mine overnight).  The filling with be a little soft, but that's okay.   

"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal