Author Topic: Bourbon Balls  (Read 2636 times)

Offline patches

Bourbon Balls
« on: Nov 21, 2007, 12:48:39 AM »
Bourbon Balls

This a really easy recipe made with bourbon, vanilla wafer crumbs, cocoa, pecans and confectioners' sugar.  These are NOT for children, so don't put them out with your other cookies!!!   :smileyNo:  They are GREAT!!!   ;)

Ingredients:
1 cup fine vanilla wafer crumbs
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup bourbon
1 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
confectioners' sugar, sifted

Preparation:
Thoroughly combine crushed vanilla wafer crumbs, chopped pecans, confectioners' sugar, and the cocoa. In a separate bowl, blend the bourbon and corn syrup. Stir this bourbon mixture into the dry mixture; blend well.

Cover and chill for at least a few hours. Sift about 1/2 to 1 cup of confectioners' sugar on a cookie sheet. Shape small bits of the dough into balls and roll them in the confectioners'. Store in refrigerator in tightly covered containers. Make these a few days in advance for best flavor, and roll in confectioners' sugar again before serving, if desired. These can also be frozen for longer storage.

Makes about 3 dozen bourbon balls.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2007, 06:08:49 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Bourbon Balls
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2007, 01:50:13 AM »
These are also great made with rum and substituting finely chopped coconut for the coating. Or not if you don't like coconut. (Triss).
Or brandy with walnuts.
Try using chocolate wafers (or add a tablespoon or two of cocoa to your vanilla crumbs) with kahlua. Sift some cocoa powder with your powdered sugar to coat. There are a lot of variations.
For kids use milk (a little less) instead of the booze and add flavoring of choice: rum, maple, vanilla, peppermint.
Can you tell I love these?
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline patches

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2007, 02:50:55 AM »
Geesh, Tina, I NEVER would have guessed that you like Bourbon Balls!!! :rofl1:  It sounds like you've been doing a lot of experimenting with these things!  :Whis: Actually, since I don't drink much alcohol, I really don't know what these different tastes would be like; but, I do know I've tasted Rum Balls before and I didn't like that taste.   :smileyNo:   

Try using chocolate wafers (or add a tablespoon or two of cocoa to your vanilla crumbs) with kuhlua.

Hmmm, I guess I'm not understanding what you're saying here  :unsure: because I already have 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey's) in my recipe.  I really do like your suggestions for the kids!!!    :Wow:

"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2007, 03:54:53 AM »
I didn't notice your cocoa in your recipe. Skip that.  I have made a lot of different kinds of these. I like no-bake recipes a lot.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline patches

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2007, 04:26:03 AM »
Tina, I like no-bake recipes too, especially in the summer, but to me these always seem to be more geared for the winter holiday season. :ScratchHead:  Did you ever see my Chocolate Cheesecake recipe?  :SmileyQmarks:  It's a no-bake recipe and it always tastes so refreshing in the summertime.   :ThumbUp:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2007, 10:16:41 AM »
Wow, these sound really really good and the different kinds of flavouring.....yummy!!

Offline patches

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2007, 02:31:40 PM »
Geesh, the Bourbon Balls and Buried Cherry Cookies were definitely a BIG hit yesterday, so I may have to start doubling the recipe. :SmileyFit: Actually, when I was asked to bring these cookies I didn't think many people would eat them with the Pumpkin bread, Cherry Cheesecake Truffle and all the pies they were having as desserts, but I was wrong. :shock: Perhaps it's because people can just walk by and grab one or two all day long.   :rofl1:   :ScratchHead:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2007, 02:36:33 PM »
Those really sound good and easy.  I like the idea of kahlua ones, but you are right Tina, no coconut here.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2007, 05:40:44 PM »
I've made something like these before.  You can also use a strong flavored jam, like raspberry, about 2 Tablespoons and you've got raspberry balls, kid friendly that way.  I made them, except with raspberry liquor and another batch with kahlua and took them to Adam's work.  They were devoured in about 20 minutes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal