Author Topic: Turkey pot pie  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Turkey pot pie
« on: Nov 22, 2007, 10:38:46 AM »
T= tablespoon
t=teaspoon
C=cup

3T butter or veg. oil
1 1/2C diced yellow onion
2t minced garlic
3T flour
3C turkey or chicken broth
salt & pepper to taste
1C diced carrot
1C diced celery
2C diced yukon gold or red taters
4C diced cooked turkey meat
1C green peas (thawed if frozen)
2T Chopped flat leaf parsley
2 9 inch prepared pie crusts, frozen puff pastrysheets (thawed), or other topping of choice such as leftover mashed taters.

heat butter in a saucepan, saute onions until opaque, add the garlic till aromatic (1/2 minute) add the flour, stir constantly, till pasty and thick. Add the broth, whisk well to work out any lumps. Bring to a boil then quickly reduce the heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened, 15 minutes. Season with salt and peper.
Heat oven to350*
Add carrots, celery & potato to the broth, simmer until the vggies are soft.
Add the turkey and peas, remove from heat. Add the parsley.
Spoon mixture into individual crocks or a baking dish. Cut pastry to fit, and cover the filling, Cut vents in the crust and press to the edges of the dish to seal.
Bake until the pie crust or pastry is golden and flaky. About 45 minutes for 1 large one or 25 minutes for individual crocks.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline patches

Re: Turkey pot pie
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2007, 01:19:24 AM »
Hey, Wrennie, this sounds delicious.  :ThumbUp: I think I'll go with the chicken broth instead of turkey broth and definitely make small individual pot pies.  ;)  Have you ever frozen these?   :SmileyQmarks:   :ScratchHead:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2007, 08:23:46 AM »
This sounds finger licking good and it's just the recipe I was looking for.  Thankyou for sharing it.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2007, 08:29:36 AM »
This is a recipe from my local paper that originated at the Culinary Institute. I will be trying it for the first time this year. I dont see why you couldn't freeze them. Or even freeze the filling and put a topping on later.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2007, 09:31:13 AM »
Yummy, those sound so good and so easy to make, i like the idea of freezing some too.

Offline patches

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2007, 02:52:04 PM »
freeze the filling and put a topping on later

What a great idea, Wrennie;  :idea: especially, when you have mashed potatoes left over from the night before to use as a topping.   ;) 
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2007, 05:37:14 PM »
This sounds great!  I'll definitely be adding it, if I have enough leftovers.  Thanks for sharing it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal