Author Topic: Homemade Ornaments  (Read 19032 times)

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Homemade Ornaments
« on: Dec 03, 2007, 01:27:28 PM »
Does anyone have a recipe for homemade ornaments?  I am looking for something similar to cinnamon ones that will smell pretty and have a nice color to them.   And in case you want to make some, here is the recipe for Cinnamon ornaments.

Cinnamon Ornaments from McCormick

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 1/2 hours, or 1 to 2 days drying time
Makes 12 to 15 ornaments.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup applesauce
1 bottle  (4.12 ounces)  McCormick® Ground Cinnamon

Supplies needed:
cookie cutters
drinking straw
colorful ribbon

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 200°F.

2.  Mix applesauce and cinnamon with hands in small bowl until a smooth ball of dough is formed.  Using about 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll dough to 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch thickness between two sheets of plastic wrap.  Peel off top sheet of plastic wrap; cut dough into desired shapes with cookie cutters.  Make a hole in top of ornament with drinking straw.  Place ornaments on baking sheet.

3.  Bake for 2 1/2 hours.  Cool ornaments on wire rack..  (Or, to dry ornaments at room temperature, carefully place them on wire rack. Let stand 1 to 2 days or until thoroughly dry, turning occasionally.)

4.  Insert ribbon through holes and tie to hang.  May be decorated with opaque paint markers found in arts and crafts stores, if desired.

Tip:  If a different size bottle of cinnamon is used, measure 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cinnamon.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tonya

Re: Homemade Ornaments
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2007, 02:20:46 PM »
Here is one for homemade ornaments that you can paint.....

These are NON -edible cookies!!!

4 cups white flour
1 cup salt
1 1/2 cups water

Mix flour and salt. Slowly add water and mix with your hands. Knead the dough a few minutes until it is claylike, thenm roll it out on a flour dusted surface. Cut out different shapes using cookie cutters, or sculpt shapes as you would with clay. Try to keep ornaments no more than 1/4 inch thick, or they may be too heavy to hang on your tree. Be sure to make a hole at the top of each ornament to insert the hook or ribbon. Place the cookies on a cookie sheet and bake at 300 for about 40 minutes or until they are hard. After cooling- decorate with acrylic paint. Allow to dry completely and add a coat of shellac or varnish to both sides.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2007, 02:25:51 PM »
You want the same sort of dough and bake thing?
I found this site with all sorts of home made recipes for dough/clay etc and a different cinnamon one.
the holiday zone

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:58:03 PM »
I have several dough one but I want to avoid the whole painting thing.  I am looking for spice type ones like the cinnamon.  Those two on the site you posted Wrennie have more than just the cinnamon in them, they look good.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:34:30 PM »
I used to make clay-dough ornaments. Instead of painting i would add food coloring and mold the different color clays together then clear coat.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:50:50 PM »
Oh now there is a thought and one that did not occur to me at all.

MassMama

« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:58:43 PM »
you could always buy some of the cinnamon sented pine cones ( or find your own) and tie some cinamon sticks at the top and put a pretty bow on them

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2007, 01:42:41 PM »
This is a cool idea - I don't think I've ever heard of cinnamon ornaments.  Are they something that you make and trash this year?  I'd imagine that their smell would wear off by next year though...

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2007, 02:02:59 PM »
I have a lemon that I studded solid with whole cloves. It is more than 10 years old and still smells wonderful. Not as strong as the first year, but awesome still.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

MassMama

« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2007, 03:31:18 PM »
I have seen them done with oranges too Tina.
I would love to do a natural christmas tree (except for the lights.. ) take it out after christmas and let the birds eat and have a happy bird christmas  :grinnnn:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2007, 04:47:39 PM »
Both of those are good ideas.  It would be neat to let the birds have at a decorated tree once you are done with it.

I picked up the cinnamon today but wouldn't you know it, I forgot the applesauce.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2007, 09:41:17 AM »
If you can find them, take the big pine cones, put peanut butter all over it, and dip in bird seed, and hang from a tree with a ribbon or string that you attatched prior to dipping in the peanut butter....somthing for our feathered friends.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2007, 09:54:56 AM »
I sure hope someone will post pictures, if they do any of these crafts!

I wanna see!!! :Watching:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2007, 11:19:15 AM »
I used to sell wildlife tree kits here. It had pinecones popcorn seed and various natural ornament forms to make that the critters would eat when you put them out. Let me see if i can find al link or something.....

Heres a pic of what I used to sell. I didn't get them in this year. Maybe I should have...
http://www.squirrelstore.com/site/744999/product/wil22
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2007, 11:31:59 AM by Wrennie »

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2007, 11:28:51 AM »
Here are some cool ideas;
http://backyardwildlifehabitat.info/wildlifexmastree.htm
this one out of england is cool too
http://www.blueworldgardener.co.uk/articles/xmas_tree_wildlife.html
you can make your own bird suet with peanut butter (natural is best) mix in loads of nuts raisins and bird seed. Pack it into those little crafty wicker baskets and tie it on with ribbon. Make a ball of it around a piece of twine to hang it with.

Just dont use thread or fishing twine when you string popcorn etc for birds. They can easily get tangles up in it. (bad)

One of my seed companies makes bird ornaments that are seed cakes made into festive shapes.
Heres some homemade recipes
http://www.bcpl.net/~tross/by/birdtret.html

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2007, 12:33:41 PM »
The kids would love to make shaped ornaments and we could use the suet recipe I already use.  All of our family enjoys feeding the birds so that would be a nice addition to the baskets as well.

I will be making the cinnamon ornaments and will post pics of them when we work on them.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2007, 12:40:08 PM »
I would love to see some pics Triss when the kids do them, your house is going to smell yummy too!!!

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2007, 12:41:10 PM »
Oh I know, I am looking forward to that part for sure!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2007, 01:36:50 PM »
I have an outdated jar of applesauce in the fridge. ANd too many jars of cinnamon. I may just make some of those too.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2007, 01:44:44 PM »
Great idea, your not eating them so i dont see why you couldnt use that and make some.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2007, 03:09:40 PM »
I picked up the applesauce today so we will be making these this weekend for sure!

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2007, 05:08:51 PM »
I actually decided to try these out to make sure they would be easy for the kids.  Major word of advice, do NOT breath in the cinnamon... gives you a wicked headache!

These are the ornaments I made with one batch of dough.

They are easy enough for the kids to do, a dough consistent with playdough so they will be able to handle it easily.  They are really going to have fun with this and the house smells awesome!

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2007, 09:15:13 AM »
 :ThumbUp: They look awsome Triss, i bet the house smelled yummy  :ThumbUp: :ThumbUp: :ThumbUp: :ThumbUp:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2007, 12:26:51 PM »
It sure did.  I rolled the ornaments too thin though and will have the kids do them a little thicker.  I am really glad I tried them out before they did.  They are looking forward to the project this weekend.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2007, 12:55:57 PM »
How thin was too thin Triss? 1/4" good ya' think??

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal