Author Topic: Crockpot Fatfree Refried Beans for the Freezer- OAMC  (Read 3471 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Crockpot Fatfree Refried Beans for the Freezer- OAMC
« on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:50:57 PM »

2 quarts, may multiply as needed
One side serving is 1/2 cup, which also makes about 4 tacos or burritos
These are a great side dish, may also be used for burritos, and can be served as a main dish with plenty of shredded cheddar and salsa on top. Pintos or pink beans are traditional, anasazi are delicious.
1 pound dried beans, soaked overnight
4 cups water
1 cup brewed coffee
3 cloves minced garlic, OPTIONAL, don't substitute powdered
1 onion, diced OR may substitute 1 bunch parsley or cilantro, OR 1 cup celery and leaves, chopped with stems
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon salt, to taste

Drain soaked beans and place in a crockpot along with remaining ingredients except salt. Stir well, cover and cook on low all day, about 8-10 hours, until tender. Add salt.

Use a potato masher or heat safe (canning) jar bottom to mash well and stir with a wooden spoon. Continue to mash and stir until desired consistency.

To freeze, put in a freezer ziplock and flatten into a layer to freeze, or no more than 2" deep in freezer containers.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Re: Crockpot Fatfree Refried Beans for the Freezer- OAMC
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2007, 05:40:51 PM »
Do these taste like canned refried beans?  I'm a BIG fan of refried beans and would love to have my own recipe for them.  I once made a big pot of them and they were terrible.  Your recipe sounds really good, though!

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2007, 07:01:52 PM »
They are very close to the canned vegetarian refried beans. If you mince the onion really small they are hardly noticeable to kids.

I'm still looking for a recipe to make them like the Mexican restaurant does...I know it involves lard, so they are sooo bad for you, but soooo good!
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2007, 07:31:13 PM »
Traditional refried beans in most Mexican homes that I have been in don't have any chili in them. Neither do real Mexican restaurants that I've eaten at. But these do sound good. I've never frozen them, though. I wonder if it messes with the texture after they are defrosted?
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:26:09 PM »
I freeze beans and they are just fine when they defrost.

For my basic beans, all I do is toss a hamhock and a bunch of beans into water and let them cook.  If I have it on hand, bacon grease from the mornings breakfast.  Let it cook all day long and that is pretty much it.  The hamhock gives the beans flavor and oil as well.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:29:28 PM »
That's right. My mom froze beans all the time. I forgot. They do come out well.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2007, 10:25:25 AM »
I can't do the coffee but if you find the other recipe you are discussing for refried beans I'd love to have it.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2007, 10:41:53 AM »
Can I sub in some beef broth for the coffee?  There has never been coffee in my house and I plan on keeping it that way.  :laughmao:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2007, 10:57:30 AM »
That does sound like a good substitution.  I never would have thought of that.  Good thinking landofoz.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:08:31 AM »
I wind up doing subs a lot since we don't drink alcohol or coffee.  It seems that beef broth is the recommended sub for most wines, beers, and coffees.  Thank goodness for Google!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:34:37 AM »
i'm the same way no alcohol, coffee or tea.  I usually substitute the corresponding vinegar for wines, and beers.  I've never thought of substituting for coffee.  I'll definitely try beef both in future for recipes that call for coffee. 

Offline patches

« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2007, 07:58:21 PM »
These sound really good, Sarah, but two or more quarts of refried beans would probably last me a year.  :yikes:  I am going to share this recipe with a friend who could probably go through that much in a month or less.  :rofl1: Geesh, one day when I stopped by her house, she was having refried beans with her eggs.   :nutz:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:41:38 AM »
Here is Cook's Illustrated's Refried Beans Recipe.

Refried Beans

If you wish to use dried beans, you can find our basic bean recipe, (see related recipe). Substitute reserved cooking water for chicken broth (you may need to add another 2 to 3 tablespoons of cooking water or broth in step 3 if the beans appear too stiff).

Makes 3 cups

1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth   
2 (15.5 ounces each) cans pinto beans , drained and rinsed 
1 tablespoon vegetable oil   
3 ounces salt pork , rind removed and diced very small 
1 small onion , chopped fine (about 3/4 cup) 
1 jalapeno chile , seeds and ribs removed, chile minced 
1 poblano chile , seeds and ribs removed, chile chopped fine (about 1/4 cup) 
1/4 teaspoon table salt   
3 small cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 1/2 teaspoons) 
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin   
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves   
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (optional) 

1. Process broth and all but 1 cup of beans in food processor until smooth, about 15 seconds, scraping sides of bowl with rubber spatula if necessary. Add remaining beans and process until slightly chunky, about ten 1-second pulses.

2. Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add salt pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until fat has rendered and pork is well browned, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer pork to small bowl with slotted spoon and set aside (you should have about 2 tablespoons of fat left in skillet.)

3. Increase heat to medium-high; add onion, chiles, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans and stir until thoroughly combined. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are thick and creamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and lime juice, if using, and serve.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal