Author Topic: Siberian Pea shrub  (Read 2311 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Siberian Pea shrub
« on: Dec 21, 2007, 08:38:25 PM »
I am thinking about planting some Siberian Pea shrubs, as food for both my hens and my family. Does anyone here have any experience with them?
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Re: Siberian Pea shrub
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2007, 11:38:47 AM »
Never heard of them, let me go google..........zip................
Mostly I see it can be an invasive noxious weed. But the seeds are edible for fowl. And edible but bland for human food.
...........zip...............
Hmm
Is there a plant that is more productive for food?
What else do chickens eat that you can grow? Soybeans? ( :unsure: ) wheat? ( :unsure: )

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2007, 12:15:37 PM »
I have read that it can be a noxious weed, but not in heavy clay soils, which I have. I like the appeal of the pea shrub being a perennial, because I could use it to line the outside edge of the chicken run, and it wouldn't hurt them to eat it.

I also grow them beans and sunflowers and such, along with using clover as a living mulch in the areas of the gardens that they are allowed to free range in. I figure, every bit of food I grow for them is a bit less I have to buy, and the cost of feed has been climbing.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2007, 12:22:36 PM »
Do they eat/like soy beans, millet? I dont know what else is easy to grow that they eat.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal