Author Topic: Easy Apple Coffee Cake  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Easy Apple Coffee Cake
« on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:26:55 AM »
My brother learned to make this in home-ec class in 4th or 5th grade. This is the original ditto (remember dittos) of the recipe. I usually make if for him every Christmas. He used to make it for our Grandma when she had her lady friends over for tea.

1/2 cup chopped nutmeats (we use walnuts)
2 Apples (granny smith)
2 cans refrigerator biscuits (ya know the kind you hit on the edge of the counter and they POP open, buttermilk ones are good)
1/2 cup butter or margaine melted
2/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon

*Grease a 9" round cake pan (I use a pie pan too) sprinkle on 1/2 the nuts.
*Quater and core apples, quater each piece into thin wedges. Don't pare.
*Dip biscuits into melted butter, coat on all sides with mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
*Overlap biscuits in the pan, about 15 around the edge and the rest in the center. with apple slices tucked in between each one. (here it looks like dominoes that have fallen on each other chain reaction style)
*Sprinkle with remaining nuts
* Bake at 375* F for 25 to 30 minutes.
*loosen from pan, invert over serving dish.
*Let stand a few minutes before removing pan.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 08:31:51 PM by barleychown »

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Easy Apple Coffee Cake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
That sounds simple and easy enough that even I could do it! :laugh1: I will have to try this when we have company again. Jim and I don't eat a lot of sweets, but this sure sounds good.... :licklips:

(ya know the kind you hit on the edge of the counter and they POP open, buttermilk ones are good)

I call those "whop" biscuits. You whop 'em on the counter edge to get 'em open.... :BigGrin:

Looks like you have saved that recipe a long, long time... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:41:04 AM »
Looks like you have saved that recipe a long, long time... :grinnnn:
Yup. Thats the one John brought home from school. How old is a 4th or 5th grade kid? 8 or 9? He's 45 now. Thats the actual recipe he would take to grandmas kitchen and bake from. Few drips of butter have landed on it ya' think? :laughmao:

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:54:18 AM »
Just a few drops! :laughmao:

I bet his teacher would be amazed to know that the recipe is still in your family on the original sheet of paper! :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline patches

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:56:25 PM »
Hey, Wrennie, seeing the original recipe with all the butter stains is a great testimony to just how good this recipe must be.  :yesssss: This really sounds delicious, plus it's quick and easy too! :wink5: Hmmm, now I'm thinking I would like to try it sometime using brown sugar instead of the white sugar, because it might give a more caramel-like taste to the apples.  :ScratchHead:
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2007, 11:10:30 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal