Author Topic: Sewing Help and Questions ~2~  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Sewing Help and Questions ~2~
« on: Jan 01, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »
Here we go again.........
New sewing machines, and those of us learning to sew you knew we'd need a help topic again!
 :BigGrin:

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008, 09:42:06 PM by Rita »

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

MassMama

Re: Sewing Help and Questions ~2~
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
I am going to go get those links, and Post them here so you will be able to find them easily..

Yep here we go Learn to sew!
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/video/howtovideos.html
If there are any I missed please go ahead and post them  :ThumbUp:
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008, 08:18:15 PM by Rita »

christy

« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2008, 11:50:11 AM »
sewinmechine trouble shootin

:ThumbUp:   thought is add this one too,   

now that the holidays are over n spring aint here yet its a great time to sew,  :BigGrin:
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008, 08:23:49 PM by Rita »

MassMama

« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2008, 11:56:14 AM »
It sure is Christy .. I think I am going to get my table all set up down cellar so I can chop up some stuff..  :ThumbUp:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:43:14 AM »
Rita you have the power of the eraser right? (You can edit other peoples posts?) Maybe you could put all the links into the opening post, whoever starts it, of each sewing help topic, so we ont have to search for them?? Just a thought.

Like a master list of all the help links...

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

MassMama

« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2008, 07:09:35 AM »
I do have that power I just wanna make sure it is ok .. I think it is a great Idea so nobody gets lost in the thread.. And It would be easier to ask questions as well..

MassMama

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »
 :ScratchHead: :unsure: Ummm Dianna... Penny how is the sewing going? Have you even tried to thread them?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2008, 11:28:48 AM »
Rita, I haven't tried to do anything with the machine yet, but Aunt Bonnie gave me some material last weekend so I would have something to practice with... :grinnnn:

I will get to it, I promise...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

MassMama

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2008, 11:53:35 AM »
 :yikes: Dianna I thought you were suppose to do that Last weekend  :naughty: :naughty:

christy

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »
 :shock:  awwww  :naughty:  :naughty:  dianna   :giggle:   good ya got meterial tp practice with  :ThumbUp:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:57:45 PM »
Well, Rita, you and Christy made me feel guilty, so while dinner was cooking, I threaded the darn sewing machine. Jim helped me locate the parts with the manual and we even got the bobbin loaded. I will be ready to start sewing tomorrow...

I plan on making Aunt Bonnie a dress.... :laugh1:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »
One step at a time Dianna and you will get there!  Remember to stop if you get to frustrated so you will be willing to go back to it.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

christy

« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2008, 11:37:04 PM »
  :ThumbUp:  :ThumbUp:  :ThumbUp: thats a start, that bobbin n threadin alone can drive ya crazy  :giggle:

MassMama

« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2008, 04:37:11 AM »
 :Glee: :Glee:  :yay_jump: see ya did it!! I knew you could do it!!  :clap: .. they have that pre made dress material at joanns ... I should find that and send it .. I think you only have to sew one seam  :Whis:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2008, 06:51:04 PM »
Ok here is a question.  When making clothes from a pattern, do you cut out the pattern pieces based on the size you want to sew or the largest size of the pattern?  Ok I found this answer and it is to trace the pattern onto another piece of paper so you do not destroy the master pattern.  Makes sense.

Any other helpful tips for sewing from a pattern?
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2008, 07:02:28 PM by Triss »

MassMama

« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »
Ohhhhh that is a tough one for computer work Triss.. I Usually cut out the size I need.. It is easier that way. I usually only use one pattern the one time though. Kids don't like the same cloths year after year ... (I know I didn't) but if there are any of the tech questions like the markings on the pattern that you need help with let me know and I will do my best to help you.
I use to use patterns all the time and have gotten away from it.. I usually just trace and cut something I already have and add or subtract from it ..

BTW Dianna how is the sewing going?  :Whis:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:07:22 PM »
Oh well that makes sense.  I was just laying out my pieces while Dan is putting dinner together and I can see where it would be a royal pain in the rear to cut the material smaller than the pattern.  I will go ahead and cut the pattern for her length cuz you are right that she may not want the same thing next season but if she does, I should be a pro by then and be able to adjust. 

One thing I did have another question about, it says to "cut the notches out".  AM I right that wherever that little triangle is, I cut a triangle in the fabric the opposite way so that I know where the pattern will line up later?

MassMama

« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:10:33 PM »
Yes that is how you know you have it lined up the right way.. all the notches should match.. It is a pain but usually if you have a tape to measure you should be able to just write on the pattern 1/4 in ect to adjust it to her new size  :ThumbUp:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:14:04 PM »
That all "sounds" pretty straightforward. :grinnnn: 

I am actually having fun with this.  I measured her and she is kinda between sizes so I will be for sure pinning it on her before I start to sew and doing the cutting on the larger size.  I am sure she will need the length in the skirt part but her top is still the smaller size, barely. 

MassMama

« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:17:16 PM »
Is this for an occasion? easter or something I forgot if you said.? If its just a little big on top I don't know if I would bother .. or maybe make a fake seam .. Ya know do the bigger size and take it in to the smaller so you could let it out in a month.. ( ya know how fast they grow lol)

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:20:30 PM »
No special occasion though she is hoping I am done with it by her birthday.  (ya right :laughmao: )

I love the idea of the bigger size and taking it in. 

MassMama

« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »
Should be easy to pop out the stitch and not have it make a huge difference. ...  (like in color an such of the fabric)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal