Author Topic: Casseroles  (Read 5195 times)

Offline patches

Casseroles
« on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:40:25 AM »
Well, it's pretty cold here so I figured it was time for some good casseroles to take the chill off.  :wink5:

Here's one that I always liked, it's quick, cheap and easy! 

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup or Cream of Celery Soup
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp. chopped pimentos (optional)
1 cup frozen peas
2 cans (about 6 oz. each) tuna, drained and flaked
2 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles
2 tbsp. dry bread crumbs
1 tbsp. butter or margarine

Directions:
Mix soup, milk, pimiento, peas, tuna and noodles in 1-1/2-qt. casserole.  Bake at 400°F. for 20 minutes or until hot.  Stir.

Mix bread crumbs with butter and sprinkle on top.  Bake 5 minutes.

Note:  Actually, I usually don't bother with the pimentos unless I'm making this over the Christmas holidays.  I think it adds a festive touch with the red pimentos and green peas.  ;)

"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Tonya

Re: Casseroles
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:48:56 AM »
One of the "good" things I took from my ex was his mother's chicken casserole recipe.....here ya go! :ThumbUp:

Chicken Casserole

1 whole chicken, boiled and de-boned
1 onion chopped
1-2 cloves garlic- minced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
2 cans chicken broth
1 large bag of seasoned bread crumbs
1-2 cups frozen broccolli(optional- you could use any veggie you like....we like broccolli :ThumbUp: )
oregano- to taste
Worcheshire sauce
In a large bowl- combine both cans of soup and one can of the chicken broth. Mix well. Add onion, garlic, oregano, and veggie(of your choice). In 9x13 casserole dish alternate layers of bread crumbs, chicken, and soup mixture(reserving enough bread crumbs to cover the top). When finished- pour second can of chicken broth over top and bake at 350* for about 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and edges are crisp. 

Everyone loves this one- hope you guys enjoy it! I usually use broccolli since everyone likes it here. Spinach would be good, I bet.  :idea:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »
Oh wow, both of those sound sooooo yummy, good ol" comfort food I'd say!!

Offline patches

« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2008, 02:26:53 AM »
Hey Tonya, this sound great, but I have a few questions.  Our seasoned bread crumbs come in tall, cardboard like cans and they are 15 ounces.  I've never seen any bags of crumbs here.  :smileyNo: The only thing that comes in bags are the dried bread cubes for stuffing.  How many ounces are the bags of crumbs?  :SmileyQmarks:  I'm assuming you use the chopped frozed Broccoli, right?  I love Spinach, but I think I would prefer the Broccoli in this casserole.   I'm going to leave out the oregano since I'm not fond of the taste, but I will tolerate it in some Italian food.  :wink5: Is the Worcestershire sauce just a dash? 
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Tonya

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2008, 08:17:11 AM »
Patti- you are right, I meant the bags of bread cubes for stuffing. :Blush: I am not sure how many ounces the one I use has- I just grab the big bag(my store has 2 sizes....small and large). Yes- I do use chopped frozen broccoli. The worcheshire is just a dash( to taste) . It really is a good casserole....even if my ex's mom did come up with it! :laughmao:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:16:48 AM »
Well here are some of my casseroles and bakes

Bruschetta Chicken Bake

Makes 6, 1 cup servings

1 can   Tomatoes, diced and undrained
1 pkg   (6 oz) Stove Top Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1/2 cup   Water
2 cloves   Garlic, crushed & minced
1 1/2 lb   Boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tsp   Dried Basil Leaves
1 cup   Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Preheat oven to 400F.  Place tomatoes in medium bowl.  Add stuffing mix, water and garlic; stir just until stuffing mix is moistened.  Set aside.

Place chicken in 13 x 9 inch or other 3 qt baking dish; sprinkle with basil and cheese.  Top with stuffing mixture.

Bake 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:18:38 AM »
Candied Sweet Potato Casserole with Toasted Marshmallow Topping

For a more intense molasses flavor, use dark brown sugar in place of light brown sugar. To make ahead, follow the recipe through step 2. Refrigerate the sweet-potato mixture in a large microwave-safe bowl, tightly wrapped with plastic wrap, for up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, poke several vent holes in the plastic wrap covering the potatoes and microwave on medium-high power until hot, 3 to 5 minutes, and continue with step 3.

Serves 10 to 12

8 Tbsp   sweet butter (1 stick), cut into 1 inch chunks
5 lbs   sweet potatoes (about 8 medium), peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup   packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp   salt
1/2 tsp    ground black pepper
1/2 cup   water
4 cups   mini-marshmallows

1. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and water; bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring often, until the sweet potatoes are tender (a paring knife can be slipped into and out of the center of the potatoes with very little resistance), 45 to 60 minutes.

2. When the sweet potatoes are tender, remove the lid and bring the sauce to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat. Continue to simmer until the sauce has reduced to a glaze, 7 to 10 minutes.

3. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 450 degrees. Pour the potato mixture into a 13 by 9-inch baking dish (or a shallow casserole dish of similar size). Spread the marshmallows over the potatoes. Bake until the marshmallows are crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
End of the Month Casserole

Makes 4 servings

1 pkg   Macaroni & Cheese
1 can   Tuna, drained
1/4 cup   Non-fat milk or dry milk reconstituted
1 can   Peas & carrots

Prepare mac & cheese according to directions on package.  Only use 2 tablespoons of margarine.  Stir in tuna & milk.  Fold in peas and carrots.  Heat the mixture on top of the stove or in the microwave until hot.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:21:10 AM »
Kelly's Herbed Lentils & Rice Casserole

Makes 4 servings

2-2/3 cups Chicken broth
3/4 cup    Lentils, sorted and rinsed
3/4 cup    Onion, chopped
1/2 cup    Raw brown rice
1/4 cup    Water
1/2 tsp    Basil
1/2 tsp    Oregano
1/2 tsp    Thyme
1/2 cup    Mozzarella cheese (divided)

1.  In a 2-1/2 quart casserole dish add the chicken broth, lentils, onions, brown rice, water, spices and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.

2.  Cover and bake at 350*F for 2 hours, adding more broth if casserole seems dry.

3.  Top with remaining cheese and bake another 2 or 3 minutes until all the cheese is melted.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »
Beef Noodle Casserole

Makes 4 servings

1 lb lean    Ground beef
1 can   Tomato soup, condensed
1/2 cup    Onions, chopped finely            
3 quarts    Boiling water
1 1/4 cups Water      
2 3/4 cups Noodles, uncooked
1/8 tsp    Pepper
1 cup    Bread crumbs

1.  Brown beef and onions in hot skillet; drain.

2.  Place water in large saucepan; bring to rolling boil.  Cook noodles in boiling water for 10 minutes; drain and set aside.

3.  Combine soup, water, and pepper.  Stir into cooked meat.  Add cooked noodles to meat mixture.  Stir gently to avoid tearing the noodles.

4.  Spoon beef-noodle mixture into 9 x 13 inch paking pan.  Sprinkle bread crumbs over beef-nood mixture.

5.  Bake, uncovered at 300F for about 30 minutes.

Per Serving Nutritional Information:
      2 cups per serving
      Calories 595
      Total fat 18 grams
      Saturated fat 6 grams
      Cholesterol 86 milligrams
      Sodium 575 milligrams

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:24:49 AM »
Rice Mushroom Casserole

Makes 4 Servings

2 cups   Water
1 cup   Brown rice, cooked
1 can    Tomato soup         
1/4 cup   Milk
1/2 cup   Onion, chopped   
1/2 cup    Celery, chopped
2 Tbsp   Italian Seasoning   
1/4 cup   Dried Tomatoes, reconstitued
2 cups   Mushrooms sliced         
1/4 cup   Corn flakes, crushed

Preheat over to 350%*F.

Grease baking dish.

Precook rice in water.  Sautee onions and celery in a small amount of butter or steam in a small amount of water.  Mix the soup and milk together in baking dish.  Add in the rice, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, celery and seasoning combine ingredients carefully.  Sprinkle with crushed corn flakes.  Bake for 20 minutes or until it begins to bubble. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:28:09 AM »
Veggie Noodle Casserole

Makes 4 servings

6 cups    Water         
2 cups    Mixed vegetable, frozen
2 cups    Rotini noodles   
1/4 cup   Cherrios, crushed
1 1/2 cup   White Sauce      
1/2 tsp   Nutmeg
1/2 tsp   Cinnamon Basil   
1/2 tsp   Salt
1/4 tsp   Pepper

Preheat over to 350*F.

Grease a baking dish.

Make White Sauce:  See instructions in Sauce Section

Pour white sauce in baking dish, add cooked noodles, vegetables, and spices and stir carefully to combine.  Top with cherrios and bake for 20 minutes or until it begins to bubble.

White Sauce

Makes 1 cup

1 1/2 Tbsp   Butter
1 1/2 Tbsp   Flour
1 cup      Chicken stock or Boullion
      Salt and Pepper to taste

In a small saucepan, heat the butterover medium-low heat.  When melted add the flour.  Turn the heat to low and cook, stirring with a wire whisk constantly for 1 minute.

Stir in the stock a little bit at a time still using the whisk.  Cook until mixture is warm and serve immediately.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:30:34 AM »
The next set of recipes from me are acutually called "Bakes" and use a home made bisquick recipe as the base.  Of course you can just buy bisquick instead of making it up.

Biscuit Master Baking Mix

For biscuits, pancakes, waffles, muffins, gingerbread, cookies, cakes and lots of other good things.

9 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/3 cup baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk solids
2 cups shortening (which does not
require refrigeration)
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cream of tartar and sugar three times. Add dry milk. Mix well. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture looks like cornmeal. Store in covered container at room temperature.

NOTE:  If you use your whole grain wheat flour you will need to store it in the refrigerator or freezer and use it within 4 months.
To measure the Master Baking Mix, pile it lightly into cup and level off with a table knife.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:31:09 AM »
Cheeseburger Bake

1 pound ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 can Cheddar cheese soup
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (optional)
1/4 cup milk
2 cups Master Baking Mix
3/4 cup water
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Cook beef and onion in a skillet until beef is brown; drain. Stir in soup, vegetables and milk. Stir Master Baking Mix and water in baking dish until moistened; spread evenly. Spread beef mixture over batter; sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:31:37 AM »
Italian Bake

1 pound ground beef or bulk Italian sausage
1 cup chopped tomato
3/4 cup frozen green peas
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 cup Master Baking Mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie plate. Cook ground beef until brown; drain. Stir in tomato, peas and Italian seasoning. Spread in plate. Stir baking mix, milk and eggs with fork until blended. Pour into plate. Bake for 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 2 to 3 minutes longer or until melted. Serve with pizza sauce if desired.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:32:46 AM »
Saucy Chicken Casserole

3 cups cut-up cooked chicken or turkey
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 cups Master Baking Mix
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Mix chicken, soup, vegetables, poultry seasoning and garlic salt in ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Stir baking mix and milk until blended. Pour over chicken mixture. Sprinkle with parsley. Bake for 30 to 32 minutes or until crust is light golden brown. At high altitude, bake for 35 to 40 minutes.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:33:12 AM »
Taco Bake

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 can whole kernel corn, drained (optional)
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups Master Baking Mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook ground beef and onion until beef is brown; drain. Spoon into an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Stir in taco seasoning mix (dry), tomato sauce and corn. Sprinkle with cheese. Stir remaining ingredients until blended. Pour over beef mixture. Bake for 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve with sour cream, chopped tomato and shredded lettuce, if desired. At high altitude, bake at 375 degrees F.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:34:08 AM »
I hope some of these prove to be interesting.  LA LA LA LA LA 10 word limit lol.

Offline patches

« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2008, 03:12:59 AM »
Thanks a bunch, Tonya, for clearing up my question about the bread crumbs!   :thx:

Well, Duh, right now I've really got my eye on the Rice Mushroom Casserole!  :yesssss: I think I would also like to try it with Wild Rice, sometime, too!  ;)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2008, 10:18:39 AM »
Wild rice does sound like a good substitution.  I normally don't have it around but I think I might buy some the next time I'm at the grocery store.  Thanks for thinking about that.

Offline patches

« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2008, 06:40:33 PM »
Actually, Duh, I love any kind of rice, but wild rice is my favorite with baked chicken, pork tenderloin, and sometimes with steak!  Even if I'm having baked potato with my steak I will still do it as a side.   ;)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:21:46 PM »
Western Hash Brown Casserole

1 bag (20 oz) frozen Ore-ida Country Inn Creations Peppers and Onion Hash Browns   
1 can (10 ½ oz) condensed cream of chicken soup   
½ cup sour cream   
1 cup toasted bread crumbs   
2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted   

Heat over to 375 F.  In a large bowl, combine the soup and sour cream.  Add potatoes and blend into mixture.  Spread the mixture into an ungreased 9”x 13” baking dish.  Toss breadcrumbs with melted butter; arrange over top of casserole.  Bake for 45 minutes.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #22 on: Jul 14, 2011, 07:46:40 AM »
Bumping this......i forgot, and there are some pretty yummy recipes in here.....

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Jul 21, 2011, 08:01:45 AM »
This one is from a novel.  I haven't tried it yet.

Mimmer’s Squash Casserole
                        Serves 6 to 8

1 ½ pounds small summer squash (about 2 cups, cooked)
1 medium onion, chopped (save half for casserole)
3 Tbsp butter
½ cup milk (canned is good)
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup toasted breadcrumbs or soda crackers crumbs
¾ to 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
extra bread crumbs and a little extra butter
Paprika for color

Preheat oven to 350F.

Cook squash and ½ onion in salted water until tender; drain well and mash coarsely with fork.  Add butter, milk, eggs, crumbs, cheese, ½ onion, and salt and pepper:  Pour into greased casserole dish and sprinkle with extra crumbs.  Dot with about a tablespoon butter and sprinkle with paprika.  Bake for 45 minutes, uncovered.  Serves 6 to 8.

Jessica

« Reply #24 on: Jul 21, 2011, 10:45:19 AM »
Sounds delicious, Tammy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal