Author Topic: Half Barrel Ponds  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
Half Barrel Ponds
« on: Jan 22, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »
I am really thinking that in the spring i'd like to get one of the half barrel ponds, since i cant have one in the ground.  :rolleyes1:(big dog & no room)
Does anyone have any ideas what kind of plants and most importantly, how to keep the neighborhood kitties out of it  :unsure:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Re: Half Barrel Ponds
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2008, 01:18:25 PM »
Water hyacinth is pretty, keeps the wayer clean and spreads like crazy.
Do you get lots of visiting kitties? Mine never bothered with my pond when i had one.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »
I have one thats the next door neighbors and he is an absolute BULLY, i guess i could put some metal screening on it, but it defeats the purpose right.

MassMama

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:27:34 AM »
Are you going to put Fish in it Penny? My cats like to drink out of the pond but have never gone fishing..as long as you have stuff for them to hide in *fish* you should be ok..

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:11:34 AM »
I would love to put a couple fish in there, but if the neighbors cat becomes a problem, maybe the fishies will have to come indoors into a secured fish bowl, since i have 2 in here.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:45:51 PM »
I bet if you go with the deeper liner, and put a terra cotta pot on it's side in the bottom, the fish will have no problems.

My cats all play in my ponds and fish tanks, and they never manage to catch anything but plants, much to their dismay.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

MassMama

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:50:40 PM »
Yep my cats are some super hunters they bring home daily treats  :oops:  but never caught a fish.. not much for water though. I know mine will not try to dig to deep in the pond.  :smileyNo:

Offline Tonya

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:01:18 AM »
I think the fishies will be safe from the cats as long as they have some shelter like everyone suggested.......not sure how they would do with the cold, tho...Are you planning to bring them inside in the fall?

MassMama

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:51:16 PM »
gold fish and koi will freeze and defrost in the spring .. just in case you were wondering about that .. Yeah I have done it .. they are fine!  :ThumbUp: Pretty cool actually ..

christy

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2008, 03:06:32 PM »
 :clap:  sounds like a great project penny!
i think as long as its deep you shouldnt have a proublem, cats dont like to get wet,  :ThumbUp:
i have 5 cats n they never caught my fish, they dont even bother with my ponds to much, maybe to get a drink
  coons did   :Crybaby:  they knocked over all my plants, n ate my fish  :tickedoff:
 dogs also! if they get loose theyll jump right in   :Groaner:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2008, 12:35:11 PM »
 :laughmao: No fear here on my dog jumping it, the barrel wouldnt be big enough for him  :laughmao:.....but forgot about the racoons though  :razberry: :razberry:

christy

« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:12:20 AM »
 :laughmao:  there wouldnt be a barrel left if kobe jumped in
we got tons of coons here, hubs sits on the porch at night feeding them, they'll take food right out of his hands,
if you could put a lid like a screen on top should be ok,  mines in the ground so easy excess to em,

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:17:34 PM »
 :laughmao: :laughmao: :laughmao: I know eh....i have visions of it getting stuck on his head......but i do like the idea of the screen  :idea:, i could have Brad whip up somthing and still make it look good too  :ThumbUp: :ThumbUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal