Author Topic: Candy apple jelly  (Read 3638 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Candy apple jelly
« on: Feb 01, 2008, 01:42:55 PM »
Candy apple jelly

7-8 pints

15 min 5 min prep

7  cups apple juice 
1  cup red cinnamon candies 
8  cups white sugar 
1  box Sure-Jell   

Measure apple juice and cinnamon candies into an 8 quart saucepan.
Heat and stir to melt candies.
Measure sugar into a seperate bowl.
Stir in fruit pectin into fruit juice in saucepan.
Add butter.
Bring to a boil (rolling) stirring constantly.
Quickly stir in all sugar.
Return to full rolling boil and boil EXACTLY 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat.
Skim off foam and ladle into pint jars leaving 0.125 inch head space.
Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline patches

Re: Candy apple jelly
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:04:05 PM »
Hey, Sarah, this really sounds good and perhaps it's something even I could manage.  ;)  Actually, I think I'm a great cook, but I've never really done any jellies or jams, :smileyNo: but I can remember my mom and aunt making grape jelly and they put some kind of wax on top of the jelly because there were no lids.  They just used those little juice glasses that the pineapple cream cheese came in (and still does), but they had the pry off lids.  Do I have to do the wax on top?  :dunno:

Skim off foam and ladle into pint jars leaving 0.125 inch head space.

Sarah, are you talking about these those heavy mason jars with the two peice metal lids?  :unsure:  I used some of those when a friend let me come up to her house and supervised me while I made and canned some antipasto from my aunt's recipe.  This was a ONE time thing, which I would never have attempted on my own.  :yikes: Sorry for all the questions, but this is all very new to me.   :ScratchHead:
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2008, 03:06:22 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:09:59 PM »
That sounds really good Sarah, going to have to try some of that when I can this year in addition to the regular apple jelly.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2008, 08:07:52 AM »
you don't have to use wax although my mom did too.  Just use your canning jars and the lids and rings you can buy for them. 

Thankyou for the recipe this does sound good.  How much butter do I add?

I do the apple mint jelly and I'm still looking for an apple butter recipe.  I do like apples.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »
Patti,  You can use the mason jars with rings and lids, you would easily be able to seal them in a large pot like you would cook spaghetti in.  The only suggestion I have is to get new lids and rings,  You do not want to reuse the lids.  For jams and jellies, 8oz jars are a great size and you can get the rings/lids pretty much anywhere.

Offline patches

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2008, 02:08:17 PM »
Thanks, Triss, I have to get the jars, lids and rings.  When I did the antipasto she just lent me four of her jars which I returned to her.  ;)
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:59:50 PM »
Well then the box of jars comes with the lids and rings!  If you decide to try this, let us know how it turns out.

Offline patches

« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2008, 08:48:11 PM »
Hmmm, a BOX of jars, how many jars are in a box?   :dunno:  Geesh, I'm not planning on making a career of doing this canning thing.  :smileyNo:  I just thought this sounded like something I might really enjoy, but couldn't get in the store.  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2008, 08:50:14 PM by patches »

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:54:40 AM »
Wow, does this ever sound yummy, might have to try this one for sure!!

Offline Patty S

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2008, 01:04:14 PM »
Patti, canning jars come in cases of 12.  When I reorganized our attic a couple weeks ago (well, it's not done yet... BG & I still need to get the Christmas stuff together in one place), I unburied more than a dozen boxes of canning jars! :yikes: (A variety of wide mouth & narrow mouth quarts & pints, half pints, jelly jars & 3 cases of resealable pop bottles.)

Since I haven't done much home canning since the kids all grew up & ran away, & LaRelle & Kari have started their families, I plan to ask them if they want me to teach them how to can, & let them have my canning jars & supplies.  (Amy has such a big brood at her house, she only cans in gallons.)  Now, if you would just move away from Illinois & over here to God's country, you could have your pick!  :BigGrin:

The US Health Dept (or USDA... not sure which) have declared that sealing jelly jars with wax isn't sanitary anymore... Although it worked fine when my Mom did it when I was a kid, & I also did it that way, for years. :rolleyes1:  The only trouble I had with it, was that the mice would get into the root cellar & eat the wax on their way to my jams! :tickedoff:

Now that you've discovered the wonderful world of yard sales, keep your eye out at them, for canning jars.  Just be sure to run your finger around the mouths of the jars, to make sure there aren't any chips.  (They'll prevent the lids from sealing.)
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2008, 01:09:31 PM by Patty S »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2008, 01:54:37 PM »
WOW Patty, that is a great supply of stuff!

Patti, you can get a box (12) of the mini jars that are 4 ounces, I think.  That would probably be just enough for one batch of jelly for you.  And with the smaller size, perfect for you.

Offline patches

« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2008, 04:46:10 PM »
Now, if you would just move away from Illinois & over here to God's country, you could have your pick! 

Hey, thanks for the offer, Patty,  :thx:  but I think buying a small box of the mini-jars might be a little cheaper than moving out there.   ;)

Boy, Triss, I really love the idea of mini-jars because I think that size would suit me fine,  :yesssss:  since I don't eat a lot of jelly and jam.  This flavor just sounded like something I would like on toast or English muffins.   :smile:

MassMama

« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2008, 05:26:21 PM »
this does look good
Duh here is an apple butter recipe you may like as well
http://www.recipezaar.com/93886

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:07:29 AM »
Wow Patty, thats quite the stash of canning supplies you have up there!!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:38:22 AM »
i'm drueling over your canning supplies I wish I had a bunch like that.  I have some of the 4 oz quilted jars for the homemade Horseradish.  And I have the 12 oz quilted jars for homemade jams and jellys. Then I have the pint jars for canned fruit and veggies because I'm canning for one lol.  Then I have the wide mouth quart jars for the "cakes in a jar". 

Thanks Rita for the apple butter recipe.

pharmerlaura

« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:34:59 PM »
  :BigGrin: Sounds like a good recipe. I think I would use real apple juice..from cooking them down. Love the smell of cooking apples. We have made alot of apple butter also. Crock-pot kind. Boy that smells great. & tastes great too. Give some away for gifts.
 :BigGrin: Boy we could have used some of thoses canning jars a while ago. Bought 8 dozen cases last year.  :BigGrin:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2008, 11:24:16 AM »
wow 8 dozen.  I'm not sure I use that much in a year.  lol.

Offline patches

« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:34:14 PM »
We have made alot of apple butter also. Crockpot kind.

One of my friend's made some apple butter in the crockpot over the holidays and it tasted so good.   :yesssss:   Apple butter has never been one of my favorite things, but I do enjoy it occasionally.   ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 01:40:24 PM by patches »

pharmerlaura

« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2008, 05:32:42 PM »
Now that Phil has taught me how to can I love it. Esp the jellies & preserves. Apple butters..different batches all taste a little different. As I dont make them exactly the same. I am going to make some of this jelly tho.. :BigGrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal