Author Topic: My sisters could use some suggestions...  (Read 2699 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
My sisters could use some suggestions...
« on: Feb 16, 2008, 01:36:50 PM »
My sisters will be working together to start a chapter of "plant a row for the hungry" here in town this year. They are also active members of their high school garden club, and have involved that group in plans to grow for "plant a row" this summer. I am so proud of them! :9536:

Of course, I will be helping them as much as possible, but would like for them to feel the sense of accomplishment of doing this themselves. We are working on planning and starting things for the gardens at school right now.

If you have any suggestions for easy to grow, prolific plants that you think would work great for them, let's hear them!
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2008, 03:18:39 PM by Patty S »
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Re: My sisters could use some suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2008, 01:58:11 PM »
I love my pole beans! Bush beans are nice but i find the poles give more per square foot of garden space. And no bending down to harvest. Yellow pear tomatoes always give me a good crop too. Theyre small like the chery varieties. Even the times i dont get my large maters to ripen I get a bunch of yellow pears.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Patty S

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »
...would like for them to feel the sense of accomplishment of doing this themselves.

How cool is that! :yay_jump: I love seeing the younger generation get involved in community, cuz I think our world is getting far too "ME"-ish, with little-to-no concern for those around them.

Hats off to the girls too, for picking such a great "garden coach"!  :wink5: (Great opportunity to teach them about companion planting while you're at it!  I assume that they'll be planting Basil & Marigolds, to help keep the bugs down?)

Keep us posted on the progress, Sarah! :clap:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2008, 03:58:46 PM »
Ooohhh...I had forgotten about marigolds!  :o Thank you for reminding me.

I guess it's back to seed trading for me! :grinnnn:

Wrennie...thank you for suggesting pole beans...I have only done the bush beans, so I'll add pole beans to the list. :ThumbUp:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2008, 10:14:45 PM »
I would recommend cukes, squash, and zukes.  Those things put out more than anyone could naturally consume.  If ya need seeds I've got commercial zuke and also commercial yellow pear tomatoes.  And cukes do great on a trellis - I'd guess all cucurbits do though.

christy

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2008, 11:09:58 PM »
thats so good of your sisters  :ThumbUp:  so this is there first year doing it?  thats a great idea, i never herd of a town doing it before.
with you n the other garden club to help they will do great.  if you need any seeds let us know.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2008, 09:27:16 AM »
I would definitely suggest the roma tomatoes because they ripen all season long rather than getting just one big harvest.  But cages or trellises may make that cost prohibitive.  So it depends on what's available.  definitely radishes, green onions or shallots, carrots and depending on your location you may be able to put in some lettuce or spinach and get a harvest before it gets to warm.  possible they may want to try some 3 sister plantings of corn but I'm not sure if it would be worth the garden space. 

i hope they have great success with their project.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal