Author Topic: crazy block  (Read 4795 times)

christy

crazy block
« on: Feb 22, 2008, 09:06:24 PM »
k heres how i make a crazy block

* broken links removed *

1-first you need a foundation block.i just use whatever material i have, n cut a 8 in block, you can do what ever size block ya want.
2- place a scrap piece in the middle or somewere in the middle.
3- get a scrap piece n fold in a 1/4 seem line n place on the middle piece n sew,
you only have to sew the folded side, cause your other scraps you add on will cover up the raw edges.
 :Blush: oops, you sew it directly on the foundation piece
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 08:52:17 PM by Jim »

christy

Re: crazy block
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2008, 09:14:48 PM »
* broken links removed *

4- sew scraps around your middle scrap first, make sure you fold all like the first.
5- keep adding scraps working from the middle to edges, covering up the raw edges

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 08:52:48 PM by Jim »

christy

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2008, 09:23:14 PM »
* broken links removed *

6 sew enough scraps on to cover your hole foundation block,
7- flip it over n sew around the edges of your foundation
8- cut extra scraps off
9- turn over n see your purty crazy block  :grinnnn:
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 08:53:23 PM by Jim »

MassMama

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2008, 09:25:46 PM »
Thanks for the lesson Christy!! I will pin this to the top So it does Not get lost!!  :BigGrin:

christy

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2008, 09:26:20 PM »
 :laughmao:   :Blush:  glad you said somthing rita! i so forget to mention that n i shoulda  :Wacko:  :Blush:  :laughmao:

MassMama

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2008, 09:30:03 PM »
Did you just do that or did you do it earlier? I really like the style! Do you finish it like you would a regular quilt?  And how do you piece the squares together? I deleted my post earlier so it was not in the middle of your lesson  :Blush:

christy

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2008, 09:43:22 PM »
i  did that eairler today,
how you put it together depends on how ya want it, its pretty thick from the scraps overlaping each other, so you dont need batting unless you want it thicker, most people sew strips between the blocks, you could quilt the strips or just tie it.
you will need batting for the strips to match the thickness of the blocks, unless you use rely thin strips

also you could use shapes like hearts, stockings or whatever for the foundation n applique them in a quilt.

MassMama

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »
Thanks Christy!! No scrap will go unused or in the trash bin again!!  :BigGrin: Sounds like a cool crazy quilt will be in the making soon ... Hey you got a great hang of the zig zag stitch!! Great Job!!

christy

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:18:24 PM »
 :grinnnn:  i can do alittle better with the zigzag when bb's not helpin.  :giggle:  my other blocks have a few zigzags on the pices,  :Wacko:
o n you can quilt on the blocks if ya want to.  :ThumbUp: 

MassMama

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:21:07 PM »
 :Blush: I know my boys just love to help me sew too!! Its not easy having them hovering over me either!

christy

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:31:54 PM »
 :laughmao:  i know, somtimes bb drives me crazy, but the doubled zigzags adds a more crazier look to it  :laughmao: 
are you planin on makin one?  :grinnnn:

MassMama

« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:34:16 PM »
 :SmileyNailbiting: Well I have a lot I am still needing to do on my other quilts but I am sure eventually I will make one.. I need to start doing what you do and work with scraps in between quilts and have a block here and there to put together..  :ThumbUp:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:37:14 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause:

Great tutorial, Christy! I am sure that a lot of us will be referring to your lesson on crazy blocking when we want to do a scrap quilt.... :BigGrin:

Thank you for the tutorial! :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2008, 11:17:52 AM »
I LOVE it Christy........you make it look soooooo easy to do....thanks for the lesson~!

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2008, 02:03:28 PM »
That is a great technique and you described it so well.  It sure looks like a fun project and I am with Rita, no more scraps in the garbage!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

MassMama

« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2008, 12:24:49 PM »
 :ScratchHead:  If you had a REALLY big foundation block couldn't you just sew them right on it? Even though I know it would be a pain to handle .. It would be interesting wouldn't it!  :unsure:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »
I didn't even know you needed a foundation block. I though each bit was just pieced to the last. That would be cool Rita.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

MassMama

« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2008, 12:35:21 PM »
I have one of those blankets from the hospital.. ya know the plain ole white ones .. I thought I could use that and it would be nice and warm too!!  :Whis: and you wouldn't have to quilt it either  :ThumbUp:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2008, 01:02:02 PM »
I'm sure it could be done. It would probably be a bit awkward to turn the whole blanket on the machine.
Go for it and let us know.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

MassMama

« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2008, 01:04:13 PM »
Yeah whats the worst that could happen huh? It will end up in the scrap pile again  :laughmao: .. then when I get scraps I can just sew them right on  :ThumbUp:
It couldn't be any worse than doing actual quilting on a quilt top  :unsure:

christy

« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2008, 01:07:48 PM »
glad yins liked it  :grinnnn:
rita you mean big as in a hole throw or full sized quilt? instead of blocks?.  yes you can but in a diffrent way than the blocks are done.[unless you use realy big scraps, then you could do it like the blocks are done]
when you do the blocks you'll notice the closer to the outter edges the bigger scraps ya need, so you could sew  scraps together for bigger pieces then add them to the foundation or just keep sewin scraps together cause when you keep sewin you dont have to worry bout covering upthe raw edges.., or theres another way were you fold all sides of the scraps n sew all sides in.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »
It couldn't be any worse than doing actual quilting on a quilt top  :unsure:
Good point!!

MassMama

« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »
 :ScratchHead: I might just give it a go and see what happens then.. My scrap drawer is FULL!! Or I could use the satin pieces I have as well they are all BIG scraps  :idea: :laughmao:

christy

« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2008, 01:25:56 PM »
I didn't even know you needed a foundation block. I though each bit was just pieced to the last. That would be cool Rita.

:ThumbUp: yep thats another way of crazy quiltin wrennie, n ya dont need a foundation for it.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2008, 01:29:39 PM »
Lots of the original crazy quilts were mixed types of fabrics, lace embellishments, embroidery on top of the scraps.

google pictures

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal