Author Topic: Memorial Quilt..?  (Read 3881 times)

MassMama

Memorial Quilt..?
« on: Feb 29, 2008, 07:28:40 PM »
Its never a happy time when someone passes.. But as you may of read Keiths grandmother Pass this week.. today was her funeral.
I was approched outside and someone asked me to make a quilt for her father that passed earlier this year.. (My almost sister in law)
I was a bit taken aback but agree to do this for her mother for mothers day. They said they would pay me but I refused anything but supplies. In a way I am bothered they would approch me at this time but .. I guess they hurt as well ... Any how .. Ummm I am now feeling a bit odd about putting someones picture on my work that I don't know that well.. As well as I don't know her family ...
I mean I am new to this hole quilting think and if they critic me I will be mortified  :SmileyFear: :SmileyFear:
Sooo to all you girls out there sewing what would your take on this be if you don't mind

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Memorial Quilt..?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2008, 11:52:01 PM »
I think I would take some of these feelings and tell them. It is a large undertaking, really. If you lack the confidence to do a worthy piece of work, you need to tell them to find a professional so they can get what they really want.
Sewing for yourself and for a few gifts is one thing.  Any small glitches are just part of your love project.Taking it sort of professional puts a lot of pressure on you. 
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

christy

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2008, 01:38:39 AM »
ooo rita you do beauitful work!  :naughty:   :tapfoot1:  you wont be mortafied! 
it may have been a odd time to ask but being at a furnal, mighta made her own grif overwelm her,  people dont often think when their grivin. you could call her n talk bout it, tell her if your gonna do it, your doing it your way n if she wanted somthing particular you arnt comfy with shed haveta  go somewere else.

you could do a easy fast pitchure frame quilt if your putting his pics on it. n ask if they still have some of his clothes to use for the frames.

MassMama

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2008, 07:26:05 AM »
I did mention to her that I would draw up some designs I could do.. If she liked it fine .. But when you adding pictures there is going to be an element in over all design that will be missing.. I will try and scan a few ideas that I came up with.. Also this is a HUGE family we are talking about .. I think there are 8-9 kids and 20something grands.They did look for a professional . and in this area they will only add One picture to a quilt.. the family wants all the kids grand kids ect which will be a lot of work. So this will mostly be a block quilt anyhow.. The fabric is going to be tough to decide but I thought what ever area he is from (over seas ) I would try and use his country colors..
I will talk to her more about this before I even think about actually doing it and make sure she knows I can only do so much... If she still pushes then I will just do it..

Offline Tonya

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2008, 07:45:57 AM »
Rita- I think you will do fine! If you are concerned- just tell her that you are not a professional, but you will do the best you can. You need to believe in yourself! I think you do fabulous work!!! :kissies:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
Let them pick the colors and whatever design you draw up that they choose. I think there will be so much emotion attatched to a quilt like that, that they wiouldn't care if not one seam lined up.

Hows this for a business "Ritas Jerky ~ Hot Sauce ~ Cheese ~ and Quilts"

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

christy

« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
  :ThumbUp:   thats true wrennie  my cousins made a memory quilt n its was just pitchures ironed on fabric sewed together, nothing else. no frames/strips, no designs. n no quilting, it was just tied together here n there.  when their fam see it they just focous on the pics n memorys, not how it was made.
  :giggle: rita you keep it up n you can stay at home n work with all you do  :grinnnn: that would be great!

MassMama

« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2008, 07:35:58 PM »
I seeewwwww would if I could.
I would be more happy if I didn't have to have a licence for this and that either!  :Whis: maybe I could just sell it on ebay  :laughmao:

I was messing around with a few thoughts and I will talk to her on monday I believe.. She better get a move on or I will not have enough time to finish it before Mothers day .. Well if she wants complicated :Groaner:

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 05:07:08 PM by barleychown »

christy

« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2008, 09:34:06 PM »
 :Wow: that a great idea rita! love how you put him in the middle, kids then grand kids  :ThumbUp:
is that the hole quilt or each block?

MassMama

« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »
That will be the whole quilt .. but it would also make cool blocks  :BigGrin:

those are all on a one inch scale if you wanna use it ..
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2008, 09:38:58 PM by Rita »

Offline Tonya

« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2008, 02:07:55 PM »
That's gonna look great Rita!! Let us know what she says!! :ThumbUp:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2008, 02:24:35 PM »
What is the finished size going to be? Lapsize or really big?

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

MassMama

« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »
I am thinking lap size would be good.. I couldn't imagine having something bigger.. If she wanted to put it on the wall or something she still could..

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2008, 08:13:23 PM »
That really does look good, Rita. I didn't mean to sound discouraging in my first post. I really hated it when people found out I sewed and asked me to make them things. Or alter things. I worried that that would be the thing my machine ate never to be seen again. It was never something that I felt good enough about to even think going pro. You have shown us some great work here. If you want to do it, I'm sure you can do a great job.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

MassMama

« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2008, 08:28:54 PM »
No I was not offended at all.. It is not like I will accept any money for this either.. If they think it is good then that is all that I want! With all the kids ect this will be a tough job .. But I like to make people happy, and I will do my best, to make sure I do the best I can!!
I will Never touch anyones cloths unless they are my familys  :smileyNo: I don't like sewing cloths! And people can get so mean if its not just so!!  :o

christy

« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2008, 10:26:17 PM »
 :ThumbUp: a lap quilt shouldnt take you long to do at all  :ThumbUp:

MassMama

« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2008, 10:32:19 PM »
No its the applyin the pictures thats a pain in the hind end.. And making them look good too..  :shock:

christy

« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2008, 12:03:37 AM »
im sure youll get em lookin good,   did she say she had alot?   i put a couple pic fram ideas in my pids  if ya wanna go see.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2008, 01:05:49 PM »
Rita, the design you choose is a good one.  And if you can get a better feeling about it, then go for it.  If after talking about it to her and you are still on the fence, then I would not do it.  I only say this because it would not be fun for you and you could not put love into it like I know you would want to do.  It would become a chore and that is never fun at all.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2008, 10:23:48 PM »
I think a memorial quilt is an excellent idea. I'm sure it will be lovely. Please post a picture when you get it done.
This is me ->?

MassMama

« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »
Sad news my (almost) SIL broke her tailbone this week and can't get me the pics.. I am thinking of making the top the way I want and then they can get me the photos by Mothers Day for their gift to mom.. even if its a few days off I am sure it will be loved!  :smile:

christy

« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2008, 10:03:34 PM »
outch! hope she gets better soon,  yep it will be loved if late,  :ThumbUp:

Offline Tonya

« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2008, 08:37:23 AM »
A few days won't matter....she'll love it just the same! :ThumbUp: Hope she heal soon- tailbones are the worst!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal