Author Topic: Mystery weed - [Solved] Hairy Bittercress  (Read 4687 times)

Offline Patty S

Mystery weed - [Solved] Hairy Bittercress
« on: Mar 12, 2007, 03:49:44 AM »
These things popped up all over in my flower beds last year, & I see that they're back again, this year!

Their seeds look like little mini pods, all up & down the tips of the stems. When touched (no matter how careful you are), they seem to have some kind of trigger reaction, cuz those little pods will eject themselves & fly in all directions! (NOT FAIR! They're too tiny to find in the dirt!)

They're all over the place, with little whiite flowers on them when they're new.

The only way to prevent them from reseeding themselves is to get to the plant while it's still little, before the pod thingies form.? The plant ages rapidly, turning the pods a straw-color & dead looking after about a week... at which point it's nearly impossible to pull them up succesfully, as they almost collapse & fall apart when touched.

Anybody know what the heck they're called? I don't have a clue as to how they got here, cuz 2 years ago I didn't see even ONE of them ANYWHERE!

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 08:40:27 PM by Jim »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Mystery weed
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2007, 03:47:38 PM »
It would help if I could see the pictures, Patty! All I see are little red x flowers in a box....
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2007, 03:56:21 PM »
Now, tell me something, Patty. You took the pics away just to play with my head, didn't you?  :D

Anyway, I see them now. Thanks for putting them back in. I guess you went to look for the ruler, huh?  Then came back in and edited... ;)

I can't tell you what it is, but will be trying to help you find out.
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2007, 03:57:33 PM »

Good timing, Dianna... I'll bet you thought you were having a genuine Monday!
I didn't see that anyone else was on the site when I decided to post new pics with a ruler included.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 02:44:35 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!

Offline Patty S

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2007, 05:36:41 PM »
You're quick. girl! Thanx for the help!

Hairy bittercress seems to be what it is, indeed! (When I saw your link to ThisGardenIs Illegal.com, I thought I was in trouble!) I also found it on Google Image Search, & some of the pics there show those nasty seed pods.

The link you listed had some pretty interesting info:
"It growns best in soils that are kept consistantly moist or wet and have been cultivated"
Not surprised to see that, cuz it seems to rain here 8 months out of the year, & these buggers are primarily in my garden beds!

"It frequently will enter a gardener's yard through greenhouse purchased plants."
I guess that's another good reason to start your own seeds... but I can't believe that I actually got something I didn't pay for!

"It produces an explosive seed pod. If you touch the pod, it pops and shoots the seeds as far as 10 feet away."
The only reason that I was glad to see that, was because it proves I wasn't exaggerating!

"This is an edible weed. Try adding it to salads. It has a slightly citrusy flavor."
Oh goody! Something FREE on the dinner table! (I hate to cook, but free is my favorite thing... so instead of spending all that time "weeding", I can now call it "harvesting"!)

"Rating of this weed: Pain in the butt if it gets to the seed pod stage. I have seen it take over a newly seeded yard because of the exploding seed pods. But I have to admit, it is a pretty plant when it's flowering."
(What kind of a nut says something is "pretty", AFTER witnessing such an invasion?!)

A pre-emergent herbicide was suggested, & I might just try that this year, because I've been hearing more & more about it recently. **I'd be interested to hear opinions on pre-emergents, if anyone has had experience with that type of thing.** (My understanding is that it kills seeds ONLY, & not established plants with roots).

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 02:48:43 AM by Patty S »

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2007, 07:01:24 PM »
Ya'll just tell me where you are and I'll eat um' lol

Can't seem to get enough to eat lately
This is me ->?

Offline Patty S

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2007, 07:34:24 PM »
Bonnie, if you came here, you'd have to do all the cooking, cuz I go to great lengths to get out of it! (That includes all the cleanup too.)

You want I should just send you some seeds, so you can grow your own & have 'em fresh?
I have LOTS!
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 02:50:46 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2007, 08:24:02 PM »
? ? "It growns best in soils that are kept consistantly moist or wet and have been cultivated"
Not surprised to see that, cuz it seems to rain here 8 months out of the year, & these buggers are primarily in my garden beds!

I am surprised we don't have them all over the yard with this boggy mess we call a lawn. When it rains, it looks like we have a couple of lakes in the front yard. Darn clay soil...

so instead of spending all that time "weeding", I can now call it "harvesting"!)

You go, girl! Let me know how they taste....  :D

Bonnie, if you came here, you'd have to do all the cooking, cuz I go to great lengths to get out of it!

I think you and Aunt Bonnie would probably be going out to eat a lot, Patty. She doesn't much like cooking, either, though she is a very good cook!

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2007, 11:17:38 PM »
Thanks Patty, but I think I have some of them nasty little boogers too. Patty I cook a mean tomato sandwich. (no heat required)

I find it's cheaper and more convenient for me to eat out. It's more fun too.

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Mator

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »
  Patty I cook a mean tomato sandwich. (no heat required)

I find it's cheaper and more convenient for me to eat out. It's more fun too.

SOOOOO many possible things to say......

SOOOOO many ways to get into trouble!!!!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2007, 10:26:26 PM »
I am so glad you censored yourself, Mater! I wouldn't want to have to say,

I am so happy you joined us over here. I can already tell we are going to be laughing a lot...

Offline Patty S

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2007, 06:26:58 PM »
     I guess that means you can't think outloud around here!
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 02:53:56 AM by Patty S »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal