Author Topic: Chicken carbonara  (Read 2794 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Chicken carbonara
« on: Mar 26, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »
1 packet alfredo sauce mix (we like garlic alfredo)
1 box penne pasta
4 to 8 slices of bacon
2 to 4 chicken breasts

Start by cooking chicken and bacon, then cut up into small pieces. While pasta is cooking, cook sauce according to directions on packet. Combine all together, and let set for a few minutes to mingle flavors.

Great with green salad and crusty bread.

* I usually use left over chicken, and have used baked, grilled, or fried. Also, when I cook bacon, I save some back, and keep it in the freezer until I make this.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2008, 10:36:58 PM by barleychown »
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline patches

Re: Chicken carbonara
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2008, 12:33:30 AM »
Actually, Sarah, this sounds pretty good, since it's nothing like the Carbonara recipe someone gave me about 5 years ago and told me it was wonderful.  It didn't have any chicken in it, just bacon, eggs and maybe some cheese.  Well, I made it, but it sure didn't do anything for me.  :smileyNo:  It was a waste of time and money because I felt like I was eating pasta for breakfast, so I just  trashed the recipe and never made it again.   
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2008, 07:59:40 AM »
Sounds like my kind of recipe. Fast, simple, and good! :542:

Thanks for posting this, Sarah! :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2008, 12:51:09 PM »
This sounds great!  And makes me wonder what exactly is a 'carbonara'--I assumed it meant the sauce?  But I have a recipe that Patches mentioned: bacon, eggs, onions, parm, and spaghetti and I think it is absolutely fantastic.  Not breakfasty at all.  Your recipe sounds like a cousin of alfredo and where do you get the mix?  I don't think I've ever seen an alfredo mix before.  I'm definitely going to try this and figure out what carbonara means!!

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2008, 06:03:19 PM »
Carbonara means with bacon (or ham sometimes. But mostly bacon) It is usually served with an  alfredo sauce which is your basic thin (or medium) white sauce with varying amounts of parmesan cheese in it (alfredo). Sometimes romano cheese as well. Almost always served with spaghetti. You can play with the basic recipe a lot. It is quick and reasonably inexpensive.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline patches

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2008, 08:43:54 PM »
Well, I actually might try Sarah's recipe, but I didn't like the one I made.  Guess I just don't like to think of eating eggs mixed with my pasta.   :yikes: :smileyNo:  By the way, Sarah, how many serving does the recipe make?   :ScratchHead:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »
Sarah, the alfredo mix is near the gravy mixes in my stores.

This recipe makes enough to serve my family of four, and I usually do garlic breadsticks and green salad with it.

Offline patches

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:59:04 PM »
Sarah, I just bought some McCormick's Creamy Garlic Alfredo sauce mix this weekend.  Will that be okay?  :dunno:  I'm really anxious to try this recipe because I didn't like the one with the eggs in it.   :smileyNo:   :smileyNo:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »
Patti, that is perfect! That is the one that we like the best.

Offline patches

« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:36:51 PM »
Okay, I'm making this tonight!   :yesssss:  Would this be good over the Angel Hair pasta or should I run to the store?  :unsure:  I've already got two boiled chicken breasts I was going to use for my chicken salad tonight, but this sounds a lot better, plus it sounds quick and easy.  ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2008, 05:40:09 PM by patches »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:41:47 PM »
Angel hair pasta should be fine. I hope you enjoy it.  :grinnnn:

Offline patches

« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2008, 06:07:25 PM »
Thanks, Sarah!  :thx:  Well, it look like I'm ready to go because I just fried up my bacon.  ;)

Offline patches

« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2008, 09:45:01 PM »
Definitely a keeper, Sarah!   :ThumbUp:  I loved it and so did my son!!!!   :yesssss:  Actually, between the two of us we ate it all and the creamy garlic was wonderful!   :Wow:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal