Author Topic: A Strawberry "How-to" for SouthernSpiritHunters  (Read 7052 times)

Offline Patty S

A Strawberry "How-to" for SouthernSpiritHunters
« on: Mar 15, 2007, 02:19:52 AM »
             A Strawberry "How-to" for
                SouthernSpiritHunters

I've been raising strawberries for longer than I can remember, so I'd like to share what I've learned about them over the years, and give you some tips on care and cultivation.

Getting started
When purchasing new Strawberry plants, try to find out what variety and type of plant you're buying. (With any luck they'll be properly marked, but generic labeling seems to be the going thing these days.)  There are two types of Strawberry plants; everbearers* (also called Day Neutral) and June bearers* and it may be difficult to tell them apart, as they have a lot of the same characteristics.

June bearers are larger plants with more stately looking leaves than ever bearers. They produce larger berries, but have a shorter production period than everbearers, while everbearers will set fruit throughout the growing season and on into autumn in warmer climates. Both types have the same care requirements. 

*Tribute, Quinalt and Tristar are the most popular everbearing (day-neutral) strawberries.
      *June-bearing varieties include Earliglow, Surecrop, Redchief, Allstar, Jewel, and Lateglow.

Planting
The best time to plant strawberries is September, so the plants can settle in and establish their root systems before they go to sleep for the winter.  But... if you're like me and put things off, you can do it early in the spring and still enjoy a fairly decent crop the first year.  First year plants may may not always meet expectations, but look out the second year... they'll take off and be terrific, as that's when they're in their prime!

Strawberries require full sun (at least 6 hours per day) and well-drained soil. I plant mine in 1/2 garden soil and 1/2 sand, to ensure good drainage and to make it easier for the plants to distribute their roots out evenly.  I've heard that growing them in sandy soil makes for sweeter fruit.? I don't know first hand if that's accurate, but I haven't had any problems and I can tell you that the flavor is great!

(Had to sneak her picture in here somehow... it's a Grandma thing!)

Because it's very important not to bury the crown (the base of the stem), plant them so the crowns are even with the soil surface. 

Covering the crown will smother the plant.
           Planting too high will damage the roots.

I've read that everbearers should be planted in rows, 1 foot apart, for optimum growing conditions and production.  I suppose that would make harvesting and weeding easier and allow places for runners to go, but since we left Montana (where we had acreage) I haven't had that kind of garden space.  My strawberries have been in planters for the past few years, planted only inches apart, and they seem to be happy... so I suppose that the distance between your plants would be determined by the space you have available, but take care that the roots won't crowd each other & compete for nourishment. (When they get too rootbound, they may produce more runners than fruit.)

Immediately after planting, I douse the plants with a starter solution, using 2 - 3 tablespoons of a 5-10-5 or 10-10-10 water-soluble plant food to one gallon of water.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2008, 09:38:12 AM by Jim »

Offline Patty S

Re: A Strawberry "How-to" for SouthernSpiritHunters
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2007, 11:26:14 PM »

(This should have been included in the planting section:)
When you plant new strawberry plants, do it late in the day and/or in the shade. Exposing them to the heat of the Sun right at first seems to stress them or something, as some don't seem to make it. I always keep mine shaded for a few days, so they can get used to their new location and start getting their roots where they want them. (I don't know that it's "necessary", but that's what I do, and have had very few casualties with new Strawberry plants by doing it like that.)

Pest Control
I have a tremendous problem with Spittle Bugs, because they love the moist environment of strawberry beds.  To discourage them, I start out with a real soapy dish water, The soap is not only caustic, but also tends to dry them out.  (They can't live outside their protective bubbly sack.) When using soapy water, don't "water the plants" with it... The application should be "topical", just on the leaves.  I use my 1 gallon garden sprayer or a spray bottle, depending on how widespread the infestation is. If dishwater doesn't work, I move on to other non-chemical methods, such as spraying the bugs off the plants with a forceful stream if water, and as a last resort, I'll use Ortho's Sevin. The label says that it's safe for food plants within a certain period of time before harvesting, but when I do use it I only do it early in the growing season, before the fruit is forming. (Fortunately, the only time my Spittle bugs are out is during the first few weeks of spring, when the strawberry blossoms are first starting.)

Slugs and snails, on the other hand, don't seem to be fussy about what season it is!  I have all of my strawberries in planters, which eliminates having to contend with them altogether, but they make themselves at home in berry patches and can do quite a bit of damage.  I've lined my rows with crushed egg shells, lain down strips of copper (or pennies), and it was also pretty common to see my little helper on a Slug hunt with a salt shaker.  Of course, you've probably heard that Slugs like beer, but it doesn't like them.? If you use the beer in the ground in a pan method, be sure to set the container down in the ground, where it'll be easy for them to fall in and drown while they're partying!

Watering Your Strawberries
Good drainage and lots of water are essential for healthy plants and good fruit production. The only time that well drained strawberry beds/planters can be overwatered is when the roots sit in water for a long period of time. They do like (and use) lots of water, but can't tolerate soggy feet, as the roots are delicate and will start breaking down rapidly (within a week or so). While the fruit is forming, draught conditions may cause the fruit to malform ...which makes for some pretty bizarre Strawberry shapes and also affects the flavor and texture of the fruit.

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008, 10:09:43 PM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2007, 12:18:41 AM »
                 Plant Energy – Flowers and Runners  
  Strawberry plants have an abundance of energy, but they need a little assistance to use it in the best way that'll help it earn its keep.   

Removing the first blossoms of the season will force energy back into the plant, building a stronger plant with better berry yield capability throughout the growing season.  It will also help to build the stamina necessary for the plant to endure the following winter.  (A rule of thumb is to keep the blossoms pinched off for the first month.)  Where I live, it's too cool outside for the bugs to be present for pollination when the first flowers come on, so I figure that it’s pointless to let the plant use up energy for nothing but flowers that will die only off without making a berry.  I know it's hard to "waste" a flower after waiting all winter for something to bloom, but you (and your plant) will be happier with the results, later!

Strawberry plants do only two things:
   1. They make berries.
   2. They make babies.
It makes no difference to them what we want them to do, so they're perfectly happy as long as they’re being “fruitful” or “multiplying"... and they don’t particularly care what order they do it in!      It's up to their gardener to let them know what's expected of them!

Your Strawberry plants might send runners out at any time during the growing season... or perhaps not at all! (I have no idea what determines that.) A runner-producing plant uses its energy to make runners, and will probably not give you any berries at the same time.

Runners come in ALL lengths.  Some take off and go half way across the garden, while others are very short and stay close to the plant (I don't know why that is, either... probably for the same reason that some people are short and others are tall, for all I know!)   

Runners don't come from the leaves, nor do the leaves turn into runners.  Notice that the runners grow from the heart of the plant and appear identical to the stems... but, instead of forming flowers (which will later turn into berries), the runner will produce little buds as  the crown of a new plant forms.

Here, you can see the beginning leaves of new plants forming on the new crowns.   

Many runners (regardless of length) will only produce one new plant, and others will produce several crowns along the stem, as seen on the runner in the foreground above.  My gardening pal and I have had runners with as many as 6 crowns on them.

(Just had to slip her pic in again!) :giggle:

The new plants will continue to feed from the mother plant, through the runner, until it finds a place suitable to send roots down of its own.  Some crowns will start to form roots even without being near soil (As with runners that hang down from a planter), but will eventually die off if it can't reach a place to set roots down.

Here are new runner plants in different stages of development.  Until they begin to form buds for their roots, they shouldn't be separated from the runner.

This one is ready to dig in and set roots down. It would probably survive if removed from the runner, but I leave mine attached for a week or so, just to be on the safe side.

Since good production will only last a few years from each strawberry plant, I always let several of mine keep their runners so I can have new plants coming every year.  If I get a runner that I notice is slow to produce a new plant, I snip it off and hope the plant will use its energy to flower, instead of putting out another runner. (When making babies doesn't work, they often decide to make berries instead.)
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008, 10:39:45 PM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2007, 12:41:14 AM »
           The Life Cycle of a Strawberry Plant
I was told by a professional Strawberry grower that the plants are "done" after their third year and will mostly only make leaves and put out runners.  You can tell the older plants by their crown (The base of the stem). An old Strawberry plant has a very thick, woody crown, whereas first year and most second year plant crowns will be tender and fleshy. These are the "producers". While a 3 or 4 year old plant might still make berries, the fruit is usually inferior in size and flavor, so it's best to let them keep their runners so they can be replaced with new plants.)

If you're in an area where you enjoy a late harvest (through September), I'd say to snip the runners off when they form, and hope that your plants will decide to use their energy to produce berries instead, and allow them to send runners out later in the season. If you're in a zone where the weather starts cooling way down in August, you may as well forget about harvesting berries late in the season, and leave those runners alone... (The 'up' side being that you can try again next year with even more plants!)

Instead of eliminating ALL the runners, you might just want to take a close look at the plants on those runners and decide which ones you want to allow to continue, and plan on having them in next year's strawberry bed. (If you’re starting out small, with just a dozen plants, later in the season you might want to let 1/3 of them keep their runners... you'll have a nice start on a strawberry patch that'll keep you in young plants for as long as you want to continue to raise them.) Meanwhile, snip the runners off the other plants, so they can start "producing" over again.   

Either way, keep an eye on them and pull runners off early, so they'll use their energy to flower-up and give you berries. First year plants may (or may not) meet expectations, but look out the second year, when they're in their prime... they'll take off and be terrific!

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008, 10:23:08 PM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2007, 01:31:38 PM »
          Strawberry Towers

Dianna wanted me to put something here about my strawberry towers, so here goes....

With a strawberry tower you'll find that where you might normally compete with the Slugs & crawly bugs, that won't be an issue any longer with your plants off the ground... (& the weeding is virtually done away with!) Most importantly, there will be absolutely no more achy back after picking enough to make a batch of Jam!

Before I had my knees replaced 3 years ago, I had taken up all the runners from my established strawberry patch & got new plants going in six-pack containers over the winter.  My plan was to plant them all in long planter boxes & wire those to my chain link garden fence, because I knew I'd have a hard time picking strawberries at ground level after my surgery. However, when I saw a guy on TV demonstrating the making of a "Strawberry Tower" I knew I had to try it, because I had over 100 first-year plants!

My little helper and I bought 3 sizes of regular plastic pots, to make our tower with. I cut flaps for plants in the sides of the two upper pots, because we didn't want the pots to show, once the plants got bigger... (but discovered later that they weren't necessary!)  We removed the drip trays that snap onto the bottoms of those plastic pots before nesting them, to ensure good drainage.

By June, the leaves had covered every bare spot inside the pots and were hanging down over the sides. The tower looked more like a big green ball, and there was hardly any sign of pots being under all of that! This picture was taken in August, when the strawberry runners had gone nuts and cascaded down to the floor of the deck (...and then some!)

At this point we weren't getting very many berries from the towers, but then I realized that the reason was because the plant's energy was being spent on runners, instead of on making fruit! We thought it was pretty that way, so we just left it alone.  (We had plenty of berries in the planters I'd attached to the garden fence, anyway.)  Our tower made a beautiful centerpiece/conversation piece, just the way it was... and even upstaged my Daughter's lush Geranium, on the other end of the deck!)

This photo was taken in November, after we had trimmed all the runners off. Even without the runners it was still gorgeous as the leaves had started turning red, making it apparent that fall was in full swing!

The smaller tower was one that I'd originally put together for someone else, but it turned out so well that I couldn't bring myself to part with it! It sat on the rail at the corner of the deck all summer, where we let it go to runners, as well.

My buddy and I spent many  hours cutting the runners off and potting up the new plants for my Garden Club's autumn plant sale... we got nearly 200 plants from the runners off those towers! Apparently, not very many people know that Fall is the best time to plant strawberries, so 144 of those plants ended up back at my house. (I babied them over the winter and gave them all to Triss when she made a trip down to see me last March!)

As I mentioned, we had plenty of berries from the planters... running end-to-end for 18 feet, on BOTH sides of the garden fence! THAT'S a lot of strawberries!)

My Mother-in-law had cautioned me about over-watering them, and said they probably wouldn't do very well in towers. I found out though, that over-watering wasn't the problem at all, but keeping them watered enough, was! On days when the temperature hit above 90* F, we soaked them down twice each day. (It's very dry here & seldom rains during the summer months.)

The bottom pot is about 15" (across the top) & the smallest one is about 11". We didn't count how many plants we put in, but we used lots more than we really had to, as it turned out.  Most Strawberry planting directions say to put the plants 12" apart, but that'd be silly for a decorative tower!  We had so many plants to play with, that ours were more like an inch apart! My sidekick & I built a tower for an elderly lady from our church last summer, & her largest pot was 17" at the base!  (Much larger than mine.) That one took 66 plants!

Planting method, soil, feeding and watering requirements are the same as for in-ground strawberries.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008, 10:50:56 PM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2007, 10:43:22 PM »
You have some beautiful strawberry plants, Patty! And, a beautiful little helper, too! Thank you for writing this up for us...

I am wondering if I can plants strawberry plants all over in my bulb garden. Instead of putting landscape fabric or mulch down, I was wondering if I could use strawberries as sort of a living mulch? Would having the flower bulbs in there make my strawberries taste funky?

Reading through your "how-to", I discovered the reason that I lost most of the strawberries I have ever planted. I had dirt on the crowns, too! No wonder the little things up and died on me!

Until they begin to form buds for their roots, they shouldn't be separated from the runner.

Are the little buds going underground when you plant them? I am wondering how you tell where the crown part is?

I am sorry if I am asking some "huh" questions, but I am ignorant when it comes to strawberries. I, usually, just pick my berries up at the market... ::)

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2007, 10:55:05 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »
Thank you for writing this up for us...

Thank YOU for letting me get all this info in the same place!   I've had all of this information scattered all over the place, & it's nice to finally get it all together!

Are the little buds going underground when you plant them? I am wondering how you tell where the crown part is?

I should have clarified that these little buds...

are the beginnings of roots.

Kick me hard!  I could have sworn that I'd included an important sentence in the planting (or runner) part of my earlier post! I can't find it, but I did just find it in my notes: "Just set the baby plant on top of the soil & press it down just a tad, keep it moist (but not real wet), & allow it to put roots down on it's own. Little plants already having established roots should be planted with the top of the crown above the soil line, with the roots (ONLY) under the ground." A few times, I've found a mature baby plant (still attached to a runner), with roots already formed on those little buds! (I have no idea how they can do that!)

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't plant strawberries in your bulb garden.   I've never tried anything like that, but I'd sure be interested to know how it works out for you.

Guess what... you're STILL going to have to weed, I'm afraid!  I dont know that there's a cure for weeds!  When my berries were in the ground, I still fought weeds constantly ...the same with where my bulbs are planted. 

Oh... I might add that strawberrys are fast growers... it'll take only a matter of days for roots to shoot out of those itty bitty buds!  Again, sandy soil facilitates root distribution & allows the plant to get on with its business.  Last year I had a runner plant form & dig in early in the spring, & that puppy shot up flowers & put out a couple berries during that same growing season!
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008, 10:37:32 PM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2007, 01:56:28 PM »
Dadblame it! I thought I was going to get out of the weeding part of gardening!  ::)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2007, 04:05:24 PM »
Well, Patty, I picked me up another strawberry plant today after we got through setting up for tonights gig. It is an ever bearing. At least that is what is on the tag... ::)

I plan on putting it out there in my bulb bed with the other plant. Wonder how many I will need to get a good start on my mulching project? The bed is two feet by about 50 feet... ???

I, also, picked up some strawberry seeds! Got any experience in starting them off as seeds?
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2007, 04:07:35 PM by Dianna »

plants n pots

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2007, 05:11:40 PM »
I am sooooo jealous of you all!!!
I cannot grow strawberries here!? Well... let me clarify that - I CAN grow them, it's just that every year that I tried, the chipmunks stole each and every one just before sun-up on the day the berry ripened!? >:(? They would take the berry - take 1 stinkin' bite out of it, and leave it for me to find!? I ended up pulling every single plant out - runners and all, and used the area, and also hanging pots for other plants.

I'd still like to try them again - I think you've inspired me to try again, but beware when I come here to complain!? :'(

Offline Patty S

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2007, 09:59:52 PM »
Dianna, the books say to plant them 12" apart. (But I never do!) I would think if you got another couple dozen plants, that would be a nice start... or even a dozen, cuz they're going to make babies & you'll have lots more next year.

I've never started them from seed, cuz each plant can make so many babies, there's little point in messing with seeds. (I don't know that I've even seen seed packets for Strawberries ...but glory knows the berries make enough seeds to go around, if a person wanted to go that way!)

Lynne, would it work if you made a Strawberry tower & put it on a tall plant stand like mine & set it away from railings or other things that the critters couldn't jump to it from? (Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to not have any reason to know what the habits of squirrels & chipmunk habits are.)

What about those windows you have upstairs? Is there any chance you could have window boxes up there, that could be accessed by popping the screens off when it's time to water & pick berries?

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008, 10:42:41 PM by Patty S »

plants n pots

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2007, 11:44:21 PM »
Patty - no can do on upper windows - the screens are full length, and very hard to take out without dropping them down below!  We NEVER take them out!!!

I don't know if putting a tower on a high plant stand would do much, as they were able to get to the plants in hanging pots!!!  Devious little devils, huh?!?

Offline Patty S

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2007, 02:21:11 AM »
Well how the heck are they getting up to those planters? (Do they play on the roof & maybe drop down into the hanging pots from the rain gutters?) They're either devious or they've figured out how to fly!
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008, 10:53:32 PM by Patty S »

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2007, 02:43:27 PM »
Patty, Dianna and I bought strawberry herb seeds over the week end. Are you familiar with that? This is the first time I've seen it.

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2007, 02:49:21 PM »
I am wondering if this is the wild strawberries that we have always called snake berries?

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Offline Jim

• Administrator
  • What have I gotten myself into?
    • KT4JK Amateur Radio Web Page
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2007, 10:58:04 AM »
Look at this Patty.  Number 1 when you search for "southernspirithunters" on Google.

Great job, Patty.
Former SMF Support Specialist

Offline Patty S

« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2007, 11:45:14 AM »
  So does that mean I'm a star now?

Just trying to help get SouthernSpiritHunters "on the map"!
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008, 10:55:55 PM by Patty S »

Offline Jim

• Administrator
  • What have I gotten myself into?
    • KT4JK Amateur Radio Web Page
« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2007, 08:15:10 PM »
Of course you are!  Thanks for all the activity that you bring!  We appreciate you being here and promoting Southern Spirit Hunters.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2007, 01:05:22 AM by Jim »
Former SMF Support Specialist

Offline Patty S

« Reply #18 on: Apr 07, 2007, 02:51:45 AM »
Huh?   Looks like I got the Award, just for mentioning SouthernSpiritHunters!! 

Gawsh, thanx guys! (That beats the heck out of "Cow Patty", "Chatty Patty", "Patty Whack" & some of the other more derogatory "Patty" awards you could have come up with!)

~~~~ :thslap:

Speaking of Strawberries.... 

I've been so busy in the other parts of my yard, that I havent paid any attention to my Strawberry planters.  When I walked past them yesterday, I noticed little white blossoms all over the place!   

I almost talked myself into leaving them alone... until I remembered what I said to Dianna a month ago...

....you may not like doing it, but it's good to snip off those first flowers to force energy back into the plant early in the spring, cuz it'll increase your berry yield. (Those first flowers probably won't turn into berries anyway, cuz the plant is barely regaining its strength right now... & besides, there aren't enough insects out yet, to pollinate them.)

... I figured that I'd better practice what I preach, so I got the snippers out of the shed & hacked off all those darling little flowers! I felt like such a meanie, but I guess it's like taking our new babies in for their shots... (they'll thank us later!)

BTW Jim, if you take the spaces out from between "Southern Spirit Hunters", you just might hit the Google list... & get your own self a star! 
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008, 11:09:33 PM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #19 on: Apr 07, 2007, 03:25:21 AM »
I didn't intend to ignore your question, Bonnie!  Actually, I thought I had already replied, but I sure don't see it!

Quote from: Bonnie
Patty, Dianna and I bought strawberry herb seeds over the week end. Are you familiar with that? This is the first time I've seen it.

I am wondering if this is the wild strawberries that we have always called snake berries?

I've heard of them, but am not familiar with them at all. The wild strawberries that I remember from when I was a kid weren't something that grew in our gardens, but were all over, out in the woods. They were always real teeny, but they tasted 100 times better than any of the "tame" ones!

I'll be interested in what you come up with. 
Are you planting the seeds in containers?
What does the package say about how long it'll be till you can harvest them?
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2008, 11:12:18 PM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2008, 02:10:48 PM »
** One thing that I've started doing since I posted here last year, is "feeding" all my gardens with alfalfa pellets. (With the exception of Morning Glories... they do best in the deadest soil you can get your hands on.) Sarah-bc has used alfalfa pellets for years, & it's an absolute wonder-booster for everything! :Yahoo: She works it into her soil, broadcasts it in her beds & under trees & shrubs... & even makes alfalfa tea to water with occasionally, throughout the growing season.
:tuschel: & her garden pics are testimony to the results! :Gardeninhail: 

I buy it from a feed store in 50# bags (be sure to get the kind made for horses), & it's around $9.00... not expensive, when compared to the more common "plant foods".  As I understand it, there's no such thing as using "too much" alfalfa, like there is with regular plant foods, which may contain synthetic or chemical additives, or that can "burn" plants, if applied too heavily or too often.

Try it.... you'll be amazed!

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2008, 02:18:32 PM by Patty S »

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »
I have a question.  I absolutely adore strawberry jam.  Can you tell me how many plants I would need to get a reasonable harvest (a few quarts maybe) all at once?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2008, 09:15:13 PM »
I used to make frozen strawberry jam from berries I picked but I can't remember the recipe or how many strawberries it takes.  If anyone knows I'd love that info too.  I remember it was easy and tasted great.

Offline notherdigger

« Reply #23 on: Apr 10, 2008, 03:21:16 AM »
     I got to tell you I really appreciate this little simenar* on strawberrys.  I'll have toread it again and again to absorb it all(not enough sand in my system?) lol but the fence idea is a godsend.  I have been wanting to start a strawberry bed but the fence is a better idea cause I have also been wanting to do an eyecatcher and this will certainly be one.  I'm curious which of the two types of berries you prefer or did I miss that previously?  I have read lots about berrys but it takes just the "right" info to really catch, at least thats me.  So thanks for taking thetime to share this with all of us.
     One more thing, what did you finally use for containers, did you build hanging beds or a series of pots or....?  thanks again.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2008, 03:23:42 AM by notherdigger »

Offline notherdigger

« Reply #24 on: Apr 10, 2008, 03:30:24 AM »
     I see now that you have planters on the fence, it appears that they don't have to be that large to make good berries?  Sorry for missing that but now you know what I mean when I say it takes me awhile to absorb these things lol.  Another thing too.  I also am a big believer in the alfalfa.  I have researched it on the web and it seems to be good for everything and safe as can be.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal