Author Topic: Accidents in the kitchen...  (Read 2527 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Accidents in the kitchen...
« on: Apr 04, 2008, 08:46:55 PM »
Perhaps I'm the only one, perhaps not.  As I got ready to make lasagna this afternoon, I realized my sweet italian sausage was frozen.  I buy it in patties 'cause that is the only way I can find it.  Instead of defrosting the patties, I decided to bash the entire frozen package against the counter top's edge.  It made sense at the time.  Really, it did.  Since the patties were in 2 stacks, I thought I'd just whack the package right in the middle of the two stacks and only defrost one half.  On the third or fourth really hard whack - sure enough! - the 2 stacks of patties seperated.  Somehow I had neglected to consider the projection of the half that I was not holding.  That darned half pound of meat went flying through the air and smacked me square on the nose.  I have a swollen nose to prove it.    :stars:   :laughpound:

Do you have any embarrassing kitchen stories to share?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Accidents in the kitchen...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2008, 09:13:03 PM »
Aw, Sarah...don't feel too bad. I have more kitchen disaster stories than I care to remember.

Currently, I have no less than 4 burns on my hands and forearms, all "earned" in separate incidents. Apparently, if I have to use the oven above 350*, it's a given that I will burn myself.

I aslo routinely cut myself, mainly because my husband only rarely sharpens my knives....and never tells me when he does. When you are use to dull, and they are suddenly not, watch out! :yikes:

I have even burned a hole in my cornea with frying oil. Note to all...ice crystals on food you are about the fry are NOT your friends. DUCK!  :laughmao:

Hope your nose feels better soon. You are in good company...
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2008, 09:20:57 PM »
I know there have been some. Just off the top of my head, I cannot remember anything right now. Well, except spilling a large pot (more than a gallon) of stew all over the kitchen. Walls, ceiling, cabinets, etc. The good thing about that is that it was cooling to be put away and not boiling. We, boyfriend and I were goofing around running through the kitchen. I did take a slide through the mess and end up in the middle of it too. But no injuries except my pride.
I haven't done anything for a few years. We do learn from our mistakes, Sarah. You will probably never do the same thing again.
I'm sorry about your nose. It hurts, I know.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2008, 09:33:46 PM »
Ow, Sarah Loo! Sure am glad that you didn't get knocked out by that flying sausage! :SmileyNailbiting:

Cooking oil and ice crystals definitely do not mix, as Sarah BC has discovered, too. I am always getting popped with grease when I fry something that has been frozen. I try to remember to turn the burner way down when I am taking something out before I load it again. That helps somewhat... :wink5:

I have lots of embarrassing kitchen escapades, but they are too embarrassing to tell. :giggle: I try to stay out of that room, anyway. It is dangerous in there.... :BigGrin:

Hope your nose feels better soon! :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline patches

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2008, 11:31:19 PM »
Oh, Sarah, I'm really sorry hear that, but very relieved to hear that it wasn't any more serious than a swollen nose and bruised pride!!!   ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2008, 11:32:56 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2008, 12:08:11 AM »
Sarah, that sounds rather painful.  Hope your nose is feeling better.  And I am with you Sarah on burns, today while I was making cheesecake, I took the pan with the crust out of the oven and filled it.  I immediately grabbed the HOT pan to tap it to get the bubbles out of the filling but forgot the oven mitts.  My fingers hurt for hours.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal