Author Topic: Can You Name This Tree? [Solved] Ficus Elastica  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Can You Name This Tree? [Solved] Ficus Elastica
« on: Apr 17, 2008, 07:19:57 AM »
While visiting with Michelle and Justin, we walked up to her grandfather's house. He had a few plants that he had forgotten the name of and I told him that someone here could probably identify them for him. Can you give this tree a name for him? :BigGrin:

This tree is potted up in his house! :o He said he had to move it because it had gotten too big in the bedroom and now it looks like it is outgrowing his great room, too. Justin is 6'2" and the tree is towering over him...

Thanks for any and all help in giving this tree a name!

« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2008, 01:51:23 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Re: Can You Name This Tree?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
Looks familiar but I cant place it after looking all through one of my houseplant books. Close but not quite to a few things.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2008, 11:07:50 AM »
I was wondering if it was some type of ficus, Wrennie, but the leaves aren't right for that, I don't believe.... :ScratchHead:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2008, 07:41:30 PM »
Ficus have a lot of 'types'. A creeping fig is a vine that clings to anything with small leaves. A fruiting fig tree had a different kind of leaf. I think yours might be ficus elastica.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline notherdigger

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2008, 01:17:10 PM »
To me it looks just like a money tree(not true botanical name) I have in my bathroom.  The pharmacy here has one about your tree's size.  Just my guess.  I have looked up the true name before but forgotten, could well be the ficus.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »
I think yours might be ficus elastica.

I think you are right, Tina! :ThumbUp: I googled it and saw the different types and see a definite resemblance. Thank you...

Andy, I didn't know that a money tree could get that tall! I can't wait to see mine grow up... :grinnnn:

Offline notherdigger

Re: Can You Name This Tree? [Solved] Ficus Elastica
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2008, 03:11:47 PM »
You know what Dianna I got to check with the pharmacy and see if they said money tree or umbrella tree now that I think bout it.  I can't remember for sure.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal