Author Topic: okra recipes pleeeze!  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
okra recipes pleeeze!
« on: May 01, 2008, 07:09:47 AM »
I'm going to try and grow some okra this year. Anyone have a favorite recipe to share? I know I can look online but thats not the same as your favorite.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Re: okra recipes pleeeze!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:02:26 PM »
Sorry it took me so long to find this but here are the two recipes that I use (not including gumbo but I'm not very fond of that recipe).

Fried Okra

10 pods of okra sliced into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices
1 Egg, beaten
1 Cup Cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a small bowl soak okra in egg for 5-10 minutes.  This helps the wash to stick to the okra.  Also, if your okra is pokey, de-poke it by wiping it with a dry cloth a few times.  Heat your oil in a large skillet on med-high heat.  Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl, dredge soaked okra in mixture and carefully place okra in hot oil; stir continuously. Reduce heat to medium when okra first starts to brown, and cook until golden. Drain on paper towels.

Pickled Okra:
2 pounds fresh okra
5 cloves garlic, peeled
1 quart white vinegar
1/2 cup water
8 tablespoons pickling salt
1 tablespoon celery seed

Wash okra.

Using manufacturer's directions, sterilize five one-pint jars along with lids and rings.

Pack okra in jars, alternating facing up and down until jars are full. Mix remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Pour over okra and seal. Let stand 3weeks before serving. Chilled before serving for added crispness.

This is also great to stuff in some cherry pick peppers or any other pepper you like with the okra.  Hubs can't eat enough of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal