Author Topic: Some type of Baby's Breath? [Solved] Wild Caraway  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Patty S

Some type of Baby's Breath? [Solved] Wild Caraway
« on: Jun 19, 2008, 11:11:22 PM »
This is growing in front of my deck planters, & I'm not sure what it is.

Closer look at the flowers...

and the leaves...

I seem to remember that a few years ago (before the new deck got built), a similar plant came up somewhere around this same spot, but I hadn't seen it again, before now.  At that time, I think someone said it might be a Wild Baby's Breath. :dunno:

Whatever it is, I like it & it apparently isn't invasive.  I'm thinking that it would be good in flower arrangements & I'd like to move it, but I'm not sure if it'll transplant well. :ScratchHead:  (I've tried & tried to get "real" Baby's Breath to grow from seed & it just won't work for me, for some reason.) :Crybaby2: 

« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2008, 10:57:40 AM by Patty S »

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Re: Some type of Baby's Breath?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2008, 07:26:36 AM »
Gypsophila (Baby's-breath; Gypsophila is a genus of about 100 species of flowering plants in the family Caryophyllaceae, native to Europe
heres the google images
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&resnum=0&q=gypsophila&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
I cant tell what the flower looks like in your pic.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Patty S

Re: Some type of Baby's Breath? [Solved] Wild Caraway
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2008, 11:03:28 AM »
Thanx for your reply, Wrennie. :smile:  I tried to get clearer pics of the flowers, but my cheap-o camera just doesnt want to do it for me.   I took some down to the Master Gardeners at the county extension office yesterday, & they say it's Wild Caraway.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »
Oh that is exciting Patty, caraway seed is awesome in cooking.  I have not ever been able to get any to grow for me.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2008, 10:22:50 PM »
When I first saw the pic, I thought gyp, too, so Wrennie wasn't by herself in that. After googling, I can see it as wild caraway... :)

It would still be pretty in floral arrangements... :wink5:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal