Author Topic: Lotsa something in my garden is happy. [Solved] Wonder Berry  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Patty S

I'm not sure where seedlings stop being "seedlings" & become "plants", but I'll put this here, instead of in the "Seedling Identification" thread. :dunno:  

When I decided to plant all my available seeds this year, I didn't think I'd have a problem deciphering the weeds from the unidentified plants...  & now that I have a full bed of very happy somethings, I'm starting to wonder more & more, if they really ARE weeds! :eek: 

As weeds go, my rule of thumb has always been, "whatever there is more of, consider it to be a weed."    According to my marker, the plants could very well be something "good", & they're so darned happy, I don't want to pull them out before I'm sure. :ScratchHead:

There are 2 or 3 of this same plant, coming up in another bed, but nowhere else, which is another reason I'm stumped.

There are Dahlias & Moss Rose in this bed (mostly hidden among the green)  & another of my markers is labeled, "Easter Egg Plant - Dianna"... but my problem with that, is that I didn't use up that much of the bed when I planted those seeds.  (Although they might have washed up & floated around during our heavy rains this spring?)  Some of them have these little flowers on them.... 

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2008, 07:38:39 PM by Patty S »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Lotsa something in my garden is happy.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »
Well it does look a lot like a Easter Egg or Wonder Egg plant but I thought those flowers were purple.  And the weeds that I have that looks similar that that one have pink or yellow flowers so I am stumped.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Patty S

Re: Lotsa something in my garden is happy.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2008, 06:59:55 PM »
I had Wonder Berries (in that same bed) last year, Triss, & looking back at that thread, I think that's probably what they are.  They had white flowers, & Dianna's Wonder Egg plant had purple flowers.  Even though I planted some of Dianna's seeds this year, I don't see any purple blossoms anywhere in that bed.

I wasn't impressed at all, with the Wonder Berry... (it probably got the name after people wondered why they planted the dumb things in the first place) :rolleyes1:

Here we are, a week later, & some of these darned plants are two feet tall already!  Apparently, some berries fell off the plants last year, before I cleaned the bed out.

Even though the plant itself IS a pretty enough plant & other than self-seeding, it doesn't seem to be "invasive", I definitely don't want them again this year... & particularly not that many of them, so they're coming out of there!

I'll go carefully, as I "weed" that bed, & might let some of them go, in hopes that some of them are, indeed, Wonder Egg plants. The marker I put in when I planted Dianna's seeds should tell me where they're supposed to be, & I really did want to try growing them this year.

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2008, 07:05:02 PM by Patty S »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Lotsa something in my garden is happy. [Solved] Wonder Berry
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2008, 07:19:56 AM »
They look exactly like very health Chinese Lantern Plants. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal