Author Topic: Is this really a Hollyhock? [Solved] YES... Double Hollyhock  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Patty S

A plant appeared in my veggie garden last year & I thought it was a watermelon, cuz it was right there where my plant marker said so!   It turned out to be a Hollyhock.

The first flower just opened, & it sure doesn't look like the Hollyhocks that I remember from my Mom's garden when I was a kid. :ScratchHead: (I got in trouble more than once by picking the flowers & making ballerinas out of them... I'd fold the petals down so the stamen stood tall, & twirled it around.) :happy: 

This one is pretty enough, but it doesn't have ballerina flowers.   (What happened to NORMAL Hollyhocks?)
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2008, 11:41:40 AM by Patty S »

Offline patches

Re: Is this really a Hollyhock?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2008, 01:07:07 AM »
I agree, Patty, it sure doesn't look like any of the Hollyhocks I remember as a child.  :smileyNo:  It's beautiful.    :Wow:   
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2008, 08:57:18 AM »
That is a double hollyhock. Very pretty!
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Patty S

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »
Thanx, Sarah. I don't think I've ever seen a "double hollyhock" before... or didn't realize what I was looking at.  :Wacko:

I'm actually surprised that it bloomed at all, cuz less than a week ago, I dug it out of my veggie garden & replanted it at the other side of the house.  (The neighbor cut her hedge way back, so there is full sun there now.)  I must have managed the move just right, cuz the Hollyhock didn't even flinch! :Yahoo: 

I think I'll work on getting one of the old traditional "ballerina" types going, since the deer can't get in to that fenced area.  (I supppose they're called "singles".) :SmileyQmarks:

Anyone have seeds for those?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal