Author Topic: Testing my descriptive ability  (Read 4983 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Testing my descriptive ability
« on: Jul 18, 2008, 02:27:50 PM »
ok here goes:

Rising from a central stock are leaves that are set two one on each side of the stem at the same point.  The leaves are long ovals with smooth edges and a mid green in color.  the plant gets to about 2 1/2 feet tall.  The flowers have several rows of petals with a cone shaped center that becomes the seed head after the petals have died away.  It comes in all colors except blue and black.  It blooms all summer until fall.

Offline Patty S

Re: Testing my descriptive ability
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2008, 04:50:06 PM »
Good start so far. :ThumbUp:  How many blossoms & where, on the stalk, do they appear? (At the top of the stalk, or at the leaf bract.) Do you know anything else about the plant... such as, is it a full sun or shade lover; does a single stock constitute the whole plant, or is there more than one "branch"?

Right now, bells are ringing for several flowering plants that fit your description.   I ran into a cool web site once that identifies plants from a checklist, but wouldn't you know that I have no idea where it was! :Wacko:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2008, 07:29:54 PM »
My first thought was that it could be an orchid, until I started googling. I didn't find any that had the petals like you were describing, so I gave up on that thought. :ScratchHead:

Next I thought of coneflowers, but could never find a picture to show me their stems and leaves. Seems like all the pictures I could find just wanted to show the blooms... ::)

I haven't given up yet, though... :grinnnn:

Hmmmmm. Might it be a zinnia? :unsure: Gotta go check out my zinnias to see if they fit the description you have given.... :BigGrin:
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2008, 07:37:37 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2008, 06:56:24 AM »
you did it Dianna.  Did I choose one that was too easy?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2008, 07:07:16 AM »
I don't think it was too very easy, Tammy. It took me a few minutes to think of zinnias, and I wasn't sure until you said that I was right... :grinnnn:

Would you like to describe another? :BigGrin:

I am enjoying this little exercise... :)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2008, 10:30:04 AM »
I have one I can describe.

It is a very dark purple almost black leaved plant with heavily scalloped edges on the leaves.  The flowers are nondiscript and a light pink in color that grow from the main stem 4 at a time each facing in a different direction.  This continues until the top of the stems have tall flower spikes.  The plant grows in bush form and has a very pungent odor. I'll have to run outside and look at it again to see how the leaves attach to the stems.  I don't remember that right off.  The leaves attact two together at each point on the stem each opposite the other.  And it is an annual.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2008, 08:32:35 AM »
Hmmmm. :ScratchHead: Would it be a type of coleus?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2008, 04:24:01 AM »
That is a very good guess but not correct.  The leaves are one solid color that is a very, very deep purple and it has a Very Pungent Odor. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2008, 06:55:18 AM »
I haven't given up yet. It may take me awhile to google this answer up, though... :)

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2008, 11:43:25 AM »
purple basil?

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2008, 07:48:47 PM »
Purple basil would be my guess too.
This is me ->?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2008, 04:08:45 PM »
 :up:

Tammy, did Triss or Aunt Bonnie get the answer? :grinnnn:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Aug 06, 2008, 05:57:40 AM »
yes they did.  Way To Go Ladies.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 06, 2008, 06:26:38 AM »
Got another challenge for us? :grinnnn:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Aug 07, 2008, 04:50:33 AM »
Lets see I'm not sure that I can pull this one off but I will try. 

The flowers are light purple and globe shaped made up of many many individual bell shaped blossoms.  It makes a seed head rather than a seed pod.  It blooms in spring.  The leaves come up from the ground rather than a central stem and are long and thin like grass.  The leaves are edible. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »
A purple cleome? That's just a guess. I am still trying to figure it out... :grinnnn:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2008, 07:17:42 AM »
The leaves come up from the ground rather than on a central stem like on a cleome.  And it makes a seed head rather than the pods that a cleome make.  But nice try.  Think edibles.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 14, 2008, 03:31:38 PM »
chives?
This is me ->?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: Aug 14, 2008, 08:37:30 PM »
Chives would be my guess, as well.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: Aug 15, 2008, 09:12:38 AM »
yes chives.  I was afraid I wouldn't be able to describe it well enough to narrow it down.  I'm so glad you all got it.  I'll have to think really hard to come up with a good one for you all.  I'll be working on it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal