Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 3925 times)

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
What is this?
« on: Oct 03, 2008, 08:00:10 PM »
I am looking for something I can maybe use for ground cover. They have this "in spots" at work. I wonder if any of you know what it is? It's small and low growing and feels like it would be fine to walk on, for the feet anyway, don't know how it would affect the plant. This first pic has a "baby bic" for size reference (and my foot..lol)

And for a close up:

Any thoughts?

Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2008, 08:12:13 PM »
It looks a lot like clover to me.  If it is it will get tiny pink flowers.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2008, 08:48:49 PM »
I don't think it's clover Triss, or at least not any like I've ever seen. the leaves are tiny and they are individual leaves..
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2008, 09:29:58 PM by Dianna »
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2008, 09:00:57 PM »
Wonder if it is pachysandra? :ScratchHead:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2008, 09:28:22 PM »
hmm.. these leaves are straight edged, looks like the pchysandra has ragged edges.  Also the leaves on this plant is maybe about the size of a finger nail.. my fingernail... on my little hands. lol

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2008, 09:32:53 PM »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2008, 09:36:14 PM »
I really wish the inmates would leave it to grow at least some.. sure would make it a lot easier to identify... lol

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »
I'm wondering if it might be Gold Thyme?  I'm not convinced though, what do you guys think?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »
Hmmm. :unsure: Sarah might be able to tell you if it is thyme or not...

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2008, 03:59:16 PM »
It looks sort of like thyme, but the smell should be a dead give away. Run your hand over it and sniff.  :grinnnn:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2008, 04:35:46 PM »
Did you ever try Sarah's suggestion, Barb? :grinnnn:

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2008, 08:13:53 PM »
I did, and it didn't have any particular or strong smell. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be spreading too much. It just kinda stays in the one low spot in the field.

Firefly

« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:03:51 PM »
Could it be  Creeping Jenny,      Lysimachia ?? :dunno:
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2008, 06:41:23 PM by Jim »

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
It certainly looks like Creeping Jenny. The link you sent said its supposed to be an evergreen though and the patch that I photographed back in Oct. is now dead. That's not to say that the "powers that be" that take care of that property didn't put something out there that would have killed it, though I doubt that as nothing else has died.  But it does look like the Creeping Jenny. Thanks Firefly!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal