Author Topic: Special dishes for holidays  (Read 2626 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Special dishes for holidays
« on: Oct 14, 2008, 11:23:34 AM »
The holiday season is almost here again. I've been cruising recipe sites, looking for some great new dishes to add to the many, many holiday dinners I end up hosting.  :grinnnn:

I thought I'd start a thread of ones that look good, and ones I've tried and liked, so if one of you are looking for a new idea, they are all in one place.

First up is a corn and wild rice side dish:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/10/fresh-corn-with-wild-rice-a-delicious-holiday-sidedish/

I made this to go with dinner the night before last. It was AWESOME! Now, to be fair, and so you know I'm not totally martha-ish, I used canned corn, and a mix of wild and organic rices, and I cut the butter by at least half. Next time I will cut it more. I also used 3/4 of a cup of heavy whipping cream, and 1/4 cup of water...worked just fine. I like to live with the delusion that that made a huge difference in the number of calories I consumed.  :laughmao:

However, it was totally worth every calorie. I wouldn't add this recipe to my daily rotation of recipes, but as a once or twice a year holiday dish, I'm in love. :BigGrin:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Special dishes for holidays
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2008, 11:56:06 AM »
Aww come on Sarah, you did not strip the corn off the cob.  :grinnnn:  WOW, that looked like a lot of work for a side dish.  It is a pretty dish but I cannot imagine anyone but me trying that one.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2008, 12:11:52 PM »
Looks like I better stick to the simple recipes topic... :laugh1:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2008, 01:19:30 PM »
Actually, it went pretty fast...while the rice was simmering, I put together the corn mixture, whe the rice was done, impatient me spread it out on a cookie sheet to cool, which took maybe five minutes. Then I threw it in the oven with the rest of the stuff I was baking for dinner. It came out about 15 minutes before the main dish, but was still toasty warm when served.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2008, 05:25:52 PM »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »
Or, how about this one:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/recipedetail.cfm?objectid=0575A357-D165-EAD9-CE4423F416B551EE

I'm not a fan of stuffing, but this one sounds good to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal