Author Topic: The Crochet Bug has bitten me  (Read 2550 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
The Crochet Bug has bitten me
« on: Oct 16, 2008, 08:12:16 AM »
I think I mentioned the t-towels with the crocheted tops in another post.  So when that was done I had started on an afgan for the living room but I didn't like the colors I had for that so I took it apart.  Then I decided that the yellow would work in the kitchen so I crocheted a toaster cover in a twisted fan pattern.  It came out pretty good I think.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: The Crochet Bug has bitten me
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2008, 08:15:14 AM »
My kitchen has forest green blinds and a green and puple striped valance.  I'm not thrilled with any of it.  But I thought if I took down the valance and put up some curtains that might work.  So now I'm using the forest green from the afgan that didn't work to make crocheted curtains using a trellis pattern.  I love that pattern but I always end up tearing out as much as a crochet along the way.  The pattern confuses me all the time lol.  But it's going to look great I think.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2008, 12:12:30 PM »
Sounds good Tammy.  I am sorry to hear that you did not like the colors for your afghan though.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2008, 04:42:33 PM »
That's me with colors.  I'm just not good at choosing them.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2008, 05:57:28 PM »
Hey I have done the same thing.  I have two baby blankets going and am not altogether happy with the colors.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2008, 10:14:20 AM »
would you believe that I went back to get more yard and they aren't even carrying that brand anymore.  Grrrrrh.  Now I don't have enough to finish the curtain.

So instead I bought a yard and a third of the maple leaf material and I'm going to make the curtains out of that.

Now ask me what I'm going to do with the green....I haven't a clue.  Maybe a pillow cover for one of my pillows.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »
Well that is a bummer Tammy.  I like the idea of a pillow.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2008, 12:46:24 PM »
It has been years since I have crocheted. I don't know if I could even remember how...

The last thing I worked on was a full-size bedspread for my mother. I never did get it finished, though.

I was told with the bedspread that it would need "blocking" when I got through with it. What is "blocking"? Will you have to block the curtains?
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2008, 10:43:09 AM »
Blocking is where you make the finished product square.  Usually the process requires laying out the item so that it is square and then applying a glue and water solution and then drying it either air dry or iron it dry depending on the material used.

I have found it useless on yarn projects but that's just me.  The cheaper materials I use stretch something awful and don't take well to blocking.

I don't block curtains even when I use thread because I want them to hang in a relaxed manner.  Not all stiff. 

The blocking technique is also used to make your christmas ornaments nice and stiff.  There it is absolutely necessary.

Don't worry I put down the crochet for years.  You pick it right back up as soon as you get your needle in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal