Author Topic: Who is doing "Wonder" plants?  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Patty S

Who is doing "Wonder" plants?
« on: Apr 02, 2007, 10:34:05 PM »
Anybody doing Wonder Eggs this year? I'd never even heard of them before people started talking about them earlier this year. I don't know the first thing about these plants, although I've seen pics of Lynne's.

Lynne & Diane sent me some Wonder Egg seeds & someone else sent me "Wonder Berry" seeds & Diane also sent me "Easter Egg" seeds. I didn't get a very good start with seeds earlier this year... for one, I thought it was too early to start anything without them getting lanky, but we went ahead & started some Wonder Egg & Wonder Berry seeds at the same time, just cuz BG was so excited about them...
& was actually so disinterested, I didn't even write the date on the tag!
I think I planted them about a month ago, but anyway, here is a Wonder Egg plant (left) & a couple Wonder Berry plants (right) today.

I was wondering if they were the same plant that people just had different names for, but now I don't think so, cuz the leaves look totally different...

Here's a close-up of the teeny flowers on the Wonder Berry...

Any information I can get will be appreciated... such as, full sun/partial sun - water requirements, how big do they get, tips....

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 02:25:54 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Who is doing "Wonder" plants?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2007, 08:30:24 PM »
Mine doesn't look so "wonder"ful. I don't know what I am doing wrong! :'(

I started it from seed, Jim hooked me up with "grow" lights, they have been repotted, and still, they don't appear to be growing. I don't know what else to do for them... :(

It was outside this past week to get morning sun on the porch. It didn't receive sun in the afternoon. I was supposedly "hardening" them off so I could move them outdoors permanently. This weekend is going to be cold, so I brought them back inside....

I will be looking forward to reading any information that you find out about them, too....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 03:12:04 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

kratz7

« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2007, 08:14:18 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Here's a photo of my wonder egg plants. I started them from seed in December......They seem to be doing okay although I need to spray them occasionally.....

Kratz7

Edited by Dianna: Photos were removed out of photo bucket account by author, so they are no longer available.

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 12:34:06 PM by Dianna »

Offline jv

• Love animals and gardening
    • Jimmy the Critter Keeper
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2007, 05:53:58 PM »
Diane gave me one about a month ago it is doing OK but has not bloomed as yet. But I have saved a bunch of egg cartons for when they finally make eggs I will be ready. ;D

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2007, 12:31:28 PM »
My Wonder Egg is looking great now. It is finally growing and seems to be healthy...

Anyone else's showing any progress?

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2007, 12:37:27 PM »
I put mine in the garden last month, & it really took off.  I'll hafta get a pic of it today.

When did you start your seed, Dianna?

Offline Patty S

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2007, 04:48:56 PM »
I still don't know if there is a difference between "Wonder Egg", "Wonder Berry" & "Easter Egg" plants, but here's the Wonder Berry" that BG started indoors some time in March.

We started the Wonder Egg seeds outside 3 weeks ago, that Lynne sent.  They're up now, but don't look like much yet. They'll catch up, I'm sure.

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 04:56:45 PM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2007, 03:23:04 PM »
My Wonder Egg plants apparently didn't make it, cuz now I can't find them where we'd planted them.  This is the "Wonder Berry" that was started from seed in March.

It's been flowering right along, & is making lots of little "berries" now.  I have no idea how big they'll get.

Dianna & Jimmy, did your Wonder plants make it?
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2007, 03:35:30 PM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2007, 11:39:47 PM »
Here is what mine is looking like now:

It has got a bloom!  :ThumbUp: I can't wait to see the eggs...

Offline Patty S

« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2007, 12:45:20 AM »
You have purple flowers on yours! I notice that our leaves are quite a bit different.  How big is your plant?
Do you have a pic of the whole plant?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 04, 2007, 12:53:56 AM »
I will get you a pic of the whole plant tomorrow, Patty.  Remember that it is in a 6 inch pot. ;) I haven't figured out where I would want to plant it out in the yard...

Offline Patty S

« Reply #11 on: Jul 04, 2007, 01:23:27 AM »
I haven't figured out where I would want to plant it out in the yard...

Hmmm... lemme think.

How about one of those places where you've already weeded!

You know, don't you, that that puppy will probably take right off if it had a place to put down more roots!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 04, 2007, 09:08:31 PM »
I still haven't gotten the picture of the whole plant, yet, for you, Patty. We have really been busy around here. I will try to get it for you, though... ;D

I wish I could remember when I started my Wonder Egg plant. I haven't a clue, though... :SmileyQmarks:

I love that little Wonder Berry plant!  :grinnnn:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 06, 2007, 02:58:27 PM »
Better late than never!  ;)

This thing is really growing now.

It is in a six inch pot, Patty...

Offline Patty S

« Reply #14 on: Jul 09, 2007, 02:08:38 AM »
If that's the same plant that you posted a pic of on April 5th, I'm guessing that you started the seed somewhere around the last week of March. It looks happy enough, & I'm also guessing that once it gets out in the garden where it can let it's roots go, it'll take off & get lots bigger in no time at all. 

Now I wish I'd have replanted more of the Wonder Egg & Easter Egg seeds when the first sprouts didn't make it, cuz I did want to see them grow up together. :SlapSelf:  Oh well!
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2007, 02:12:31 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2007, 01:16:11 PM »
My Wonder Egg plant "laid" an egg!  :rofl1:

I need to repot into a bigger pot now, I think. It has started losing some leaves and I can see roots showing on top of the soil. I don't think I want to plant it in the ground...

Offline Patty S

« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2007, 11:41:13 PM »
Here's a close-up of my "Wonder Berries".  I'm not very impressed with them, but I guess I was hoping for egg shaped results. (Guess that's why the name is "berry" & not "egg", eh?!) :rolleyes1:

Dianna, when I first saw your pic, I thought the darned thing was the same size as the gazebo & I almost had a heart attack! :thslap: For pics that give some frame of reference as to size, please put a nickel (or a pencil, or a ruler... or something besides a whole building) next to whatever you're taking a pic of! 

That IS a cool shot of your "egg", though! :ThumbUp:
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2007, 01:44:28 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 05, 2007, 08:48:31 PM »
Well, my Wonder Egg has changed colors. Looks like the Easter Bunny dropped it into some dye. It sure is a pretty color... :grinnnn:

Patty, Jim took this picture and didn't have a nickel in his swimming trunks... ;)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2007, 01:34:35 PM »
It has friends now... :grinnnn:

:tuschel: Hey, Patty! I remembered my nickel! :wink5:
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007, 01:36:16 PM by Dianna »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #19 on: Aug 28, 2007, 11:37:08 AM »
Anyone have a clue as to when I should harvest the seeds from my little golden egg? :SmileyQmarks:

Do I wait for the egg to fall off? Is it ripe now? :D
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2007, 11:39:07 AM by Dianna »

christy

« Reply #20 on: Sep 01, 2007, 10:27:31 PM »
patty your wonder berries are cool lookin!

dianna some people let then get real ripe n dried out, n some people harvest when their golden, sorry that dont sound like to much help, this is my first time growing them this year,   :laughmao: i took a pic of a chicken egg beside one of my biggest eggs! couldnt resist! n my wonder eggs are growing in a basket! couldnt resist that either   :grinnnn:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 02, 2007, 12:34:59 AM »
Christy, that sounds like a neat idea with the chicken egg and the basket. Mine aren't as big as chicken eggs, though. :( Should they be? I would love to see your pics! :grinnnn:

christy

« Reply #22 on: Sep 02, 2007, 11:31:52 AM »
i dont think they "should" grow as big as a chicken egg, not all of mine has, i  just happen to get a couple of big one growing.

« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2008, 04:10:42 PM by barleychown »

christy

« Reply #23 on: Sep 02, 2007, 11:34:39 AM »
oops hit the post button instead of the preview, at least i did the pic right  :grinnnn:

heres the chicken egg to wonder eggs pic

« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2008, 04:11:31 PM by barleychown »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 02, 2007, 04:23:17 PM »
Your eggs are still a whole lot bigger than mine are, Christy! ;)

I have been checking the egg every day to see if it looks like it is dried, so I can harvest the seeds. Knowing my luck, I will forget one day and it will fall off and the seeds blow away.... :laughmao:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal