Author Topic: Buckwheats (like pancakes)  (Read 1707 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Buckwheats (like pancakes)
« on: Oct 27, 2008, 06:41:31 PM »
This is a very old family recipe (my great-great grandmother's, at least) and it is the most delicious and wonderful thing to eat on a cold winter morning. 

2 C. Milk
2 C. Water
1 pkg. Yeast
1 1/2 - 2 C. Flour
1 1/2 - 2 C. Buckwheat Flour
1/2 t. Salt
1/4 C. Water
1 t. Baking Soda
Cast Iron Skillet
Lard/Crisco

The night before:
Mix milk, water, yeast, flour, buckwheat flour, and salt together.  Mixture should be very runny, mostly smooth, and will start thinking bubbly thoughts shortly.  Let sit on counter, at room temp, at least overnight.  Be sure to put in a bowl at least double the mixture's volume.  If you like a sour flavor, let it sit longer.

Day of:
Heat cast iron skillet on med-hi heat (batter will stick to even the best greased stainless steel pan).  Using a paper towel, grease the bottom of the pan with lard/grease/Crisco (butter/margarine will stick).  You will probably need to do this between each buckwheat.  In a small bowl, combine the water and baking soda.  Add to batter.  When skillet is very hot, pour in a thin layer of batter.  These puppies cook quick, so keep an eye on them, when edges are dry and buckwheat is all bubbly, flip it.  Keep warm until serving.  Don't worry -- buckwheats should be thin but don't let that fool you, they are extremely filling.

Serve with huge pats of margerine/butter, hot syrup, and cream between each layer.  If I put on a cup of syrup, I generally put around 1/8-1/4 cup of cream.   :542: :542:

Hope you enjoy them!
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2008, 01:34:31 AM by landofoz »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Buckwheats (like pancakes)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2008, 11:36:31 AM »
Okay, I looked for buckwheat flour, and couldn't find it. Do you know if it's called anything else?  :dunno:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2008, 03:43:22 PM »
It is called that.  Since it is gluten free, they may not have it with the regular flours but in the section of the store that carries gluten free products.  I know that is where I used to get it when Zack was off gluten filled foods.  If not there then it is used in Asian cooking a lot and you may be able to find it in an oriental specialty food store.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2008, 05:52:58 PM »
Or try a health food store. Our fourth graders go out and harvest  their  own buckwheat for buckwheat cakes. (once a year). It grows wild here.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2008, 01:32:00 AM »
My Walmart carries it in with the boxes of Hodgson Mills Rye Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, etc.  I usually get it from health food or bulk stores as it is significantly cheaper there.  Hope you can find it!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal