Author Topic: Imaginary friends  (Read 3032 times)

Offline UNCLEG

Imaginary friends
« on: Nov 07, 2008, 09:04:59 PM »
OK, today something just jarred my memory and I thought the subject may generate some good discussion.

When I was a child I had an imaginary friend named Jimmy, a little boy same age as me.  I remember "playing" and talking with him.  In my child's mind and imagination he was very real.

Fast forward, I now have niece who is the world to me and could not be more like me  if she was my child. 

A few years ago when she was 3-4 years of age she had an imaginary friend  her name was Jimmy.  Like me she talked and "played" with Jimmy.  I found it odd that she should have a female imaginary friend with the same name as my childhood imaginary friend.  Well curiosity got the best of me so I asked her what Jimmy looked like, her description was that of a middle aged man like myself....gray blond hair, sideburns and a goatee...now remember her Jimmy is a girl.

First thing that crossed my mind was that my Jimmy had grownup and was now playing dress-up with my niece.

Just thought it was amusing our imaginary friends had same name.

Thoughts?

G

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Imaginary friends
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2008, 09:12:10 PM »
My oldest had an imaginary friend adopted at age 2. Marsha was a very real presence in our home. And when we flew across country, from Calif. to Conn., Marsha had her own seat on the plane. (I believe the stewardesses wanted my two munchkins to have a lot of room where they wouldn't pester anyone else)
Soon after we arrived , Marsha left us and took a plane home on her own. I actually missed her a lot.  My daughter was only 2 years old during this whole time.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Jayrod1972

« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2008, 12:24:45 AM »
My little brother had a immaginary friend and the freaky thing about it.... his name was also Jim / Jimmie Stoshstun. I never seen him actually talk to him but did hear him talk to him, back then it never hit me that he might have been talking to a actual spirit. We never had any happenings where we lived at that time but, seeing the name Jimmie triggered that memory in my mind. huh, kinda weird.  :thspeechless-vi:
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me”

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2008, 02:24:18 PM »
G, I think that Jimmy knows how much your niece means to you and has been keeping her company.  That makes so much sense to me.  Have you ever felt as though you have had a spirit or guardian with you?  Perhaps Jimmy has been with you all along.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2008, 06:54:43 PM »
I find it interesting that your niece has a grown up imaginary friend. How old is she now and does she still have Jimmy for a friend? Also, how old were you when you stopped having Jimmy as a friend?

This is me ->?

Offline UNCLEG

« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2008, 08:44:46 PM »
Bonnie, My niece is now 6 a very grownup 6, having 3 older siblings 21,18, and 16, she is very grownup acting at times.  I have not heard anything about Jimmy in about 2 years since she was 4.

I think I had my Jimmy until I was 6 or first grade.

I found it very odd her imaginary friend was an adult male, although she would tell you Jimmy was a girl, but her description was that of a man.

Triss, no  I have never felt I have had a guardian spirit/angel, not sure if I believe in those, if they are real mine are often MIA.  Anyway some people have suggested that we share the same Guardian.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2008, 09:10:08 PM »
I absolutely believe in spirits and guardians though I do not think they always guard us but rather stay close and keep an eye out on us.  When my brother Jake passed away, my son Zack would often been seen talking to someone.  I always had the strong sense that it was Jake coming back to make sure he was ok.  There was always a sense of peace and calm when he was around.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2008, 11:41:55 AM »
I do think we all have spirit guides. Being that children are so Innocent they are more accepting of spirits because they haven't learned yet that they shouldn't be, and I think it very possible for them to come in the form of imaginary friends. With the older siblings she is probable more mature than her six years, and she has closed her mind to Jimmy. I also think that it is possible that her friend was your friend as well.

This is me ->?

Offline UNCLEG

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2008, 07:24:12 PM »
I like to think we had the same imaginary friend.  Its kind of comforting in a way.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2008, 09:11:15 PM »
Very comforting.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal