Author Topic: Beef Bundles...  (Read 6022 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Beef Bundles...
« on: Jan 14, 2009, 02:37:27 PM »
I called around for beef bundles from the local shops and here is what I got:

Berridges                                           Jacksons
$199.99 (plus tax)                              $119.90 (plus tax)
60 lbs                                               50 lbs
$3.33/lb                                             $2.39/lb
30 lbs. grd chuck (95% lean)                14 lbs. grd beef (95% lean)
5 lb. chuck roast                                18 lbs. roasts (chuck, arm, and rump)
5 lb. arm roast
5 lb. Charcoal steak (what is that??)      18 lbs. Steaks (Round, sirloin, T-bone, and Rib)
5 lb. Round Steak
5 lb. T-bones
5 lb. KC Steaks

Jackson's is my normal place to get meat and seems to have the best price, hands down, however I don't know anything about roasts or steaks.  Which direction would you go and why?  The jackson's bundle is actually only sold in 25 lb increments but doubled it here so that the poundage would be closer to the same for the two bundles. 

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Re: Beef Bundles...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2009, 02:43:01 PM »
This is what it looks like if I was arranging it by price, perhaps this is a better way to view it....

Berridge’s                       Jacksons      
199.99                           179.85               
60 lbs                            75 lbs
3.33/lb                           2.39/lb
30 lbs Ground Chuck          21 lbs. Ground Beef
5 lbs. Arm Roast              27 lbs. Roasts (mostly chuck also arm, rump)
5 lbs. Chuck Roast
5 lbs. Charcoal steak        27 lbs. Steak (Round, Sirloin, T-bone, Rib)
5 lbs. Round steak
5 lb. T-bones   
5 lbs. KC Strips
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2009, 02:45:14 PM by landofoz »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2009, 02:56:11 PM »
Hmmm...I've never bought a "bundle", always a half of a specific cow, hanging weight + cut/wrap, and you tell the butcher what you want for cuts. Last time, we asked for just a standard cut, this time we asked for more ground, less steak, because i use way more that way, and it goes farther ground.

If you look on your craigslist, is anyone offering locker beef, or grass-fed beef? You may want to compare that price, as well...
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:38:49 PM »
If these are you only two or best two choices after checking out Sarah's ideas, then the one you know and trust is the much better deal of course.
I don't know arm roast but might by another name. rump can be roasted or pot roasted and chuck is most often pot roasted (with added liquid)
Round steaks (and roasts) make the most awesome stew meats or fajita or other things where the meat is cut up smallish like sliced thin for stir fries or beef stroganoff type meals. Round also makes London broils, swiss steaks, or pound the beejeebers out of it for  other things. Round has little fat and a little tough because of it if left alone. Sirlions, t-bones and rib steaks can be left as steak. They are a  more tender.
And I remember being so lost in the world of meat cuts. (grew up on ham or hamburger for the most part).  I am better now but sometimes I still need to refer to a picture book or my cookbooks to figure out how to best use something.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2009, 05:09:23 PM »
Adam's uncle has sold us a half cow before, however, his cows bombed really bad one year and he hasn't raised any since. 

I did check Craigslist (we're too small for our own, so I check the one for a city about an hour away) and there were a few listings there for beef.  The grass fed was $5/lb plus processing and there was one for just "homegrown beef" however the end price per lb was 2.47 -- which is still a smidge more than the Jackson's bundle--and it's sitting in a locker about 3 hours away.   :razberry:  There is a large amish community in Yoder (not far from me) and they have a huge *touristy* meat/cheese place.  I know lots of people get their meat processed there though.  I'll have to check -- maybe someone has a free half or they have better bundles...

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2009, 05:22:27 PM »
 :yikes: $5 a pound? Is beef gold there? :yikes: There are several ads on our craigslist now for $1.85/pound hanging weight.

Do you have a feed store nearby? They usually have bulletin boards with beef on them...

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:00:22 PM »

Do you have a feed store nearby? They usually have bulletin boards with beef on them...

What an odd place to hang beef.  :laughmao:

We have a store here that does a "pick 5".  Basically, I can go through the meat dept and pick 5 meat items for $20.  Items eligible have a "pick 5" sticker on it. The choices include pork, beef and chicken in a variety of cuts, including steaks and roasts.  If  I choose wisely, I can get about $50 worth of meat for $20. Not a bad deal.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:10:25 PM »
Your pick five is a very good deal.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:29:02 PM »
We have that at our local IGA but I rarely see really good deals on it.  I have been lucky once in a while though.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:54:29 PM »
Yes Triss.  As I said, I have to choose wisely. At times there isn't anything that make's it worth it.. but other times I get killer deals that way.  Gotta know the normal price of things before going in the store.. lol
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:49:51 AM »
That could be a good deal--depending on the meats they have for you.  Isn't it odd how people will buy stuff just 'cause they think it might be on sale? 

I checked down in Yoder a fully dressed half is 2.50/lb which isn't that bad.  However, we don't have the cash to purchase $875 worth of meat at this point in time.  I think we'll stick with Jackson's.  I am an extremely loyal customer to them (local owned business, 3rd generation owners, I get call 'Hun' and my kids are recognized or I'll get asked, 'Where are your little ones today?', excellent quality meats). 

Thanks for the help, ladies!  I needed it.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2009, 01:30:58 PM »
I would stick with Jackson's as well based simply on how they treat you.  I am willing to pay more for great customer service than to save a little bit and get none.  With the good prices and the way you get treated, it sounds like the best deal.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2009, 10:13:54 AM »
I agree! It sounds like they take care of you well.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2009, 10:37:28 AM »
They really do.  I picked up my bundles yesterday (got 2 of them) and everything looked really good.  Of course it's all wrapped up in the lovely white butcher's paper, but that's why I like going to the butcher and not Dillons/Walmart.  I can TRUST this meat enough so that I don't have to look at it before I purchase it. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal