Author Topic: Adding fiber to baking... so kids don't notice.  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Adding fiber to baking... so kids don't notice.
« on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
I need some help.  Zack needs to ease into a diet that is much higher in fiber than we are currently eating.  I am going to ease the entire family into it by switching to brown rice, a whole wheat look-a-like white bread and other things but I would like to know other than just baking with wheat flour, how to add more fiber to the things I bake. 

What other grains can I add that will not necessarily change the flavor of the kids favorite things but be more healthy.  Thanks.

ETA: Edited title to kids instead of kinds.  Hope that was correct.!  :grinnnn:
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2009, 03:21:29 PM by Jim »

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Adding fiber to baking... so kinds don't notice.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2009, 10:31:13 PM »
Granola, oatmeal, there is powdered stuff  (phsyllium or something like).
Triss, I went to recipezaar and looked up high fiber stuff.  A lot of baking. There are a lot of ideas there. I also just googled high fiber lists and there are a bunch.
But it is hard to come up with recipes when I don't know what he will eat. I know he eats well but is a little picky.
Pumpkin is about my favorite form of fiber. Take a half cup of canned pumpkin in a blender with a dash of milk and a few ice cubes. Add a little cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and whirl away(leave it slushy though). He can drink it. But if he doesn't like pumpkin that won't fly.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2009, 11:03:03 PM by Tina »
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:08:18 PM »
More research. One of my favorites from back in the day was to tuck in soy flour into all of my baking. At the time I wasn't going for fiber so much as to bump up the protein value. But it has very high fiber to add.
Add in Bran products where you can.
Other things with high contents are split peas, beans (with black beans being highest), dried fruits (with figs topping the list). So feed him fig newtons.
I love this type of research.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:17:34 PM »
You are so good at it too!  I have not even started the research yet but I did dig out my MIL's recipe for English Tea Muffins.  They are made with dates, 100% bran, and then more bran flakes and I am going to do them with whole wheat flour as well.  They will be packed full of good stuff and they are yummy too.

I will hunker down tomorrow and start really searching.  I do not think he will eat the pumpkin shake but all of the kids love pumpkin bread.  I do not know that the billions of eggs and oil needed for the recipe make the fiber worth it though.  Then again we are trying to get him gain weight so maybe pumpkin bread with whole wheat flour would be great.  I can also throw in some soy flour into any of my other baking.

I wonder if he will eat soy beans... edamame?  1/2 cup is 3 grams of fiber.  I have to make sure and not do too much because that will rob the body of other vitamins.  The doc says he needs 19 grams a day.  The Fiber One bars I will be sending to school as an afternoon snack if he likes them have 9 grams of fiber so that gives me 10 or so to play with every day.

The doc also mentioned flax seed... I have never had that and wonder how it changes the flavor and texture of foods.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:30:46 PM »
Mash up chick peas (garbanzos) with some sauteed in olive oil garlic,  a dash of lemon juice and yogurt to smooth it out and spread it on whole wheat crackers. The kids will think they have a real treat for race day.
I love this stuff and can't think of the name right now.
Looked it up. It is called hummus. Add some tahini (sesame paste) to that if you can find it. I can't yet in my regular stores. Gotta go to a mid eastern place to find it.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2009, 11:37:20 PM by Tina »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:31:39 PM »
You can get flax seeds. They add a nutty taste and texture. You can get ground flax seeds and hide the texture.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2009, 01:39:02 AM »
I personally do not care for hummus.  Unfortunately Zack is not into dips.  He does not care for nuts either so that is why I want to ramp up the things I make normally and then add in a couple of additional changes for the whole family like switching to brown or wild rice and a whole grain bread.

A nutty taste with the flax seeds is good because a lot of the sweet breads I make and the cookies already have nuts in them (though Zack picks his out) and it would not change the flavor much.  It is on my list so I will pick it up and start experimenting with it.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:18:23 AM »
While you are out, check out the Fiber one products. Does Zack eat cereal or yogurt? Fiber One comes in these forms.
Check the labels in your vegetarian section in the grocery freezer. Most veggie based things are soy based.
Toss lentils into your spaghetti sauce. Mash them first  if they aren't hiding enough.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2009, 09:23:23 AM by Tina »

Offline Tonya

« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:46:50 AM »
Triss- you can also use Fiber sure. I use it and there is no smell or taste. You can add it to your baking or just mix it in well with whatever drink he is drinking. :ThumbUp: Hope you can find something that works for you all! :ThumbUp:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2009, 11:40:05 AM »
He eats cereal, I am not sure that is one I am going to change, he really enjoys eating the kid type cereals on occasion but I will be on the look out for the higher fiber cereals that all of the kids will eat.

I was working on it some last night.  If I switch to a brown rice and a better pasta, serve one of those or baked potato for dinner, he is getting 3-4 grams with just that.  Adding in the good veggies to dinner as well gives 2-3 more grams.  The Fiber One bar that I am sending to school is 9. So with just those changes he is getting 14 grams of the 19 that the doctor says that he wants.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
I love the FiberOne bars -- they really do taste like something edible and yummy.  It is the only think I can eat for breakfast that doesn't make me sick all morning long.  (Breakfast and I are not friends.)  I've tried a ton of fiber products and a lot of them are unappealing.  I haven't tried the Fibersure but then again, I like to drink liquids at all.  If only I could live without having to drink anything ever again... 

I like to add wheat germ to baked goods and often will substitute in 1/4-1/2 the flour with WW in a good deal of baked items (even stuff like brownies) without anyone noticing.  I also use several recipes that use kidney or black beans (the canned ones).  I never had any luck with brown rice -- Adam hates rice and absolutely loathes brown rice.  I wish you better luck with that one.

My family loves to eat whole wheat pancakes with blueberries in them and then homemade chunky Blueberry syrup on top.  I just looked it up to get the exact amount and blueberries have 3.5 grams fiber per cup.  Blackberries have 7.6 grams, and raspberries a cool 8 grams/cup. 

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2009, 12:41:39 PM »
On the rice issue, everyone here is going to have to deal with it... :grinnnn:  I do not mind it and the kids can cover it in soy sauce if they prefer. 

We are planning on switching from having apples readily available to having pears.  Pears have 4.3 grams and apples only 2 so that is a good switch.  Strawberries are great as well with 3.9 grams per cup.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2009, 05:55:31 PM »
I really don't care for brown rice as well as white, myself. But I love wild rice.
It sounds like you have a handle on this situation, Triss. And you are the one who knows best what Zack will actually eat for you. And what you can get the rest to eat too.
I am just thrilled because I recently found a second flavor of Trix yogurt that Ted will eat. Finding his favorite available all of the time gets tricky. It must be a favorite of a lot of little people. So a second favorite is a boon.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2009, 07:15:15 PM »
Second favorites are great!

I made what my MIL calls English Tea Muffins.  I used buckwheat flour for half the flour in addition to the dates, and bran cereals.  I have to figure out the per serving  but there is a ton of fiber in them.  The boys all wanted one after school.  Jonny loved them and so did Charlie and Zack flat out told me he hated them.  That is a rare word for him to use with regards to food.  I asked him if he would like it better with butter on it and he said... "Oh yeah!"  So there is still hope.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2009, 08:50:53 PM »
Or try some of the berry preserves, Triss. If he will eat those.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2009, 08:59:33 PM »
He likes the strawberry jam I made. 

Charlie has been sneaking the muffins... I think he had 4 of them.  Probably not good.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »
Charlie might just spend the night on the toilet.  :Groaner:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:21:15 PM »
He is still in diapers.  But they will not be pretty.  I guess it is good he likes them.  They are up and out of the way now.

Offline UNCLEG

« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »
Something I do just because to me it taste better....when making meatloaf, instead of using breadcrumbs or crakers, I use shredded wheat, the plain kind I just cruble it into the mix.  It makes a good binder and keeps the meatloaf moist, also just a shortcut, make meatloaf burgers instead of loaf, it cooks faster.(I broil mine)   Also when making hambuger patties I use shreeded wheat in mix, adds flavor and keeps burger moist.,  Crumble it up and know one will know its there.

Also as a snack instead of chips use shreeded wheat and your favorite dip. I like to get a bowl of shreded wheat and add my favorite salad dressing and eat it.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2009, 03:51:46 PM by UNCLEG »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »
That is a great idea.  I have some soy filler right now that I have been using and the kids do not seem to notice it much.  I will have to give the shredded wheat a try.  There is no way Zack would eat it as a snack though.  It is hard to have a picky eater.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal