Author Topic: Book Suggestions  (Read 2707 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Book Suggestions
« on: May 24, 2009, 08:34:41 AM »
Our library just lost it's budget for books.  They are down to maintenance and salaries only.  So I'm trying to help. 

Right now they are short on books on the following subjects.

How to learn the piano
How to learn the guitar
Egyptology
Military Entrance Exam
And pretty much any new best sellers

If you can suggest any books in these categories I'd appreciate it.  Or if there are books that you just love I'll check and see if the library has them.  I don't want to loose our library so any help would be really helpful.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Book Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »
Tammy, did you find any books for the library? Are they only looking for the "how to" books? If it is for any kind, I can suggest some authors for crime dramas... :BigGrin:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2009, 10:05:47 AM »
It's any subject.  Those were just the subjects that I know are missing. 

I've been able to get them a couple of books on egyptology, and learning to play the piano, and the military entrance exams. 

I'd love to hear what you would suggest in the crime drama areas.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2009, 11:49:28 AM »
crime drama or mysteries in general?
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline desirey

• The Brat
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »
You need the Vampire books now!!! Stephenie Meyers,and L.J. Smith books are really good. Go with the Twilight Saga and NIGHTWORLD!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:33:54 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions.

It's a library.  There is room for just about any kind of book.  I'm just looking for the ones that area good read.  It seems like a lot of them they have are the bottom of the pile so to speak.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2009, 11:15:18 AM »
John Sanford, James Patterson, John Grisham, Karin Slaughter, and Patricia Cornwell all stand out in the crime drama area, Tammy. They are really great reads.... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:03:41 PM »
I've never heard of John Sanford or Karin Slaughter.  I'll see if the library has any.  If not I'll add them to my list of authors to look out for.  Thank you for suggesting them.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:06:37 PM »
Tammy, I like biographies or autobiographies.

Are you buying books at yard sales and such and donating them to your library?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:06:24 PM »
joan hess, sue grafton, john mac donald (he does mysteries/crime dramas and historical books, including non-fiction), dick francis, of course agatha christie, lewis carroll, c. s. lewis, and the lord of the ring series.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2009, 08:48:48 AM »
Pretty much, I see if I have any money left over after I pay all the bills and then I use that to buy "like new" books on Amazon; or, I go to the used book store in Lynchburg.  Our local second hand store does have a bunch of books but they aren't in any type of order and they are double and triple stacked.  Really hard to go through to look for a book.  I just don't have the strength to stand there and look through them one at a time. 

I like biographies and autobiographies.  Do you have any suggestions?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2009, 09:28:40 AM »
that's so nice Tammy.  Have you mentioned that you're doing this to the local book places.  Maybe they'll donate.

I enjoyed the biography of Mary Todd Lincoln.

Know what else people might like is all those books "for dummies."  You know like Computer for Dummies, Cameras for Dummies....

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2009, 12:25:43 PM »
I'll look for that biography.  Thank you for the suggestion.

We have a fair selection of How to books but I'll check it out against what is available and talk it over with the librarian.  Again thank you for the suggest.  I completely ran out of ideas after a short period.  I guess my reading in recent years has been pretty selective.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal