Author Topic: Any Ideas??? [solved] "Flower Drift" Daffodil  (Read 2980 times)

Offline patches

Any Ideas??? [solved] "Flower Drift" Daffodil
« on: Apr 16, 2007, 01:25:39 AM »
I have no idea what this is but about 10 of them showed up in one of my garden beds this spring.  I don't remember planting anything like this, but perhaps the squirrels brought them over from a neighbors yard. The leaves look similar to a Daffodil, but they were much thicker.  The flower is beautiful and has a sweet smell.  The texture of the petals are not thin like those on a Daffodil, but seem a lot heavier.  I guess the texture would be more like the feel of the petals on a Gardenia.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm stumped!!! ???   :-\

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2007, 10:51:49 PM by Jim »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Patty S

Re: Any Ideas???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2007, 01:44:13 AM »
Hey Patti, I'm glad to see that you finally got your camera & your puter to agree on something! (I wanna see more pics from your yard, IF your weather ever starts being gardener friendly!)

That flower is awesome, but I'm not sure what it is... you don't, by chance, have a pic of the whole plant, do you?

I think it's high time those squirrels brought you something, after all the things they've stolen out of your yard in the past!  I just hope that if they DID move this to your house from somewhere else on the block, that the neigbors don't think you went over in the middle of the night & helped yourself! 

BTW, did your Stargazer ever come up last year?  I remember early in the year, that you thought the squirrels had dug them up.  (I wonder who ended up with it!)   
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 01:47:41 AM by Patty S »

Offline patches

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2007, 03:56:57 AM »
Sorry Patty, I don't have picture of the whole plant, and I can't take one now because it's mush just like a lot of other things around here.  The freezing temperatures really zapped everything and they are saying it will be about 8 weeks until we actually know the expent of the damage.  The good news is they are saying it below freezing temps really shouldn't have killed most of the perennials, but they may not look too good this year.  I covered my strawberries and some of my plants, but I just couldn't manage to get everything covered.  There's just too much!  I protected my strawberries with a commerical grade landscaping fabric, and a lot of the plants were covered with trash cans, pots, boxes and anything else I could get my hands on.  I put all my potted plants in my mini-greenhouse and set it next to the house.  I put plywood on two sides then covered it with a blanket at night and set gallon jugs of hot water in there and around it, so I'm hoping that helped.    ???   :-\     

My Stargazer never did come up last year,  :( but I've bought some more bulbs this year so we'll have to wait and see what happens.  They're in the ground now and they said freeze we had shouldn't hurt them either. ;)
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2007, 06:50:11 AM »
Patti, I am wondering if it is a carnation. That is one beautiful bloom...

We had a cold spell, too, that zapped our crepe myrtles, lorapetalums, and sycamores. They are young trees and were just starting to get their "feathers" out again this year. My irises and strawberries (I think) made it through in the front garden bed, but I am waiting to see if anything else survived...

SC lost most of their peach crop this year due to the cold snap. I am not sure what other major crops will be affected...

I will be watching this topic closely to see if you get the bloomer identified. I would love to have some of those!
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2007, 06:59:57 AM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2007, 11:17:41 PM »
And I think it is a narcissus of some kind, like a daff.  They can be thicker petaled and leafed. That was my original thought when I saw it.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Patty S

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2007, 12:38:39 AM »
Tina, I thought the same thing, but as I said a while back, over in the Spring has sprung thread....

Some of these Daffs (maybe all) ??? might actually be Narcissus... I'm not sure that I know the difference yet!

I'm finding out that Narcissus come in soooo many colors & petal patterns, I might just stay confused about them forever! 

Not intending to hijack the topic here, I'd like to share some eye-opening info that I ran into while wondering about the diff between Daffs & Narcissus. Several Websites seem to be in agreement about one thing...

• Although "daffodil" and "narcissus" are often used to refer to large and small-flowered forms respectively, botanically they are all classified in the genus Narcissus.

• The name daffodil is reserved for the large, normally
    yellow, single trumpet flowered cultivars of Narcissus pseudonarcissus. Without a doubt, modern, large flowered daffodils are the most popular type of Narcissus planted today.

Then there's this tidbit, from the American Daffodil Society...

• ...There are at least 25 species, some with a great many different forms, and several natural hybrids. In addition to the species, the current printout of the Daffodil Data Bank lists over 13,000 hybrids which are divided among the twelve divisions of the official classification.

Whew! I'm beginning to think that it's perfectly OK to be confused!
(Or maybe there's no confusion at all!)

I think that Tina hit it right on!

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 12:45:09 AM by Patty S »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2007, 11:23:21 PM »
Patti, You can just call it your double daff and enjoy it. The thing with daffs is that they are poisonous and the critters won't eat them. They might dig them looking for something else nearby but they won't eat them. They are even deer-proof.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2007, 01:21:15 PM »
Have we not figured out exactly what this plant is yet? Is it a double daffodil?
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 01:23:19 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2007, 01:42:45 PM »
This picture looks a lot like your picture.

http://brecks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_67256

Offline Patty S

« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2007, 03:31:54 PM »
That "Flower Drift Daffodil" looks right on, Duh!
Nice going!  :ThumbUp:
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2007, 03:34:20 PM by Patty S »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Any Ideas??? [solved] "Flower Drift" Daffodil
« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2007, 12:13:52 PM »
Thankyou, glad I could be of help.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal