Author Topic: how do I know when it's time to cut the cabbage?  (Read 3148 times)

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
how do I know when it's time to cut the cabbage?
« on: Jun 02, 2009, 09:56:08 PM »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: how do I know when it's time to cut the cabbage?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2009, 10:03:50 PM »
That is beautiful, Sheri. :BigGrin:

How large is the inside part? I would think that if it was about the size of a canteloupe that it would be ready to cut. :unsure: We haven't grown any though, so wouldn't know for sure...

Someone else that has experience will be along shortly to help you... :BigGrin:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2009, 09:53:26 AM »
first time for me too and I did it on a lark.  A man came to the school and gave all the 3rd graders cabbage plants a while back and gave me a few too.  I planted them in the same area and that's the only one the worms didn't get.  He said it was a new type that should get to 5 feet across.  I don't think that's going to happen.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »
That is strange, Sherri.  The neighbor behind me said that a guy came to her daughter's school and gave all the third graders cabbage plants and said that whoever has the largest one at the start of the year will get some prize.  Maybe it's a national program??

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2009, 06:24:04 PM »
I have a friend in Illinois whose 3rd grader got a cauliflower plant.  The man who brought ours is from Bonnie Plants.  I guess it's nation wide.  Cool.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2009, 04:47:11 PM »
at a farmers market yesterday there was a man with big cabbages.  They had holes too and he said it's not cabbage worms but slugs that were eating mine and insectisidal soap works some but not that great.   His had holes but he said the inner cabbage heads were in tact.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2009, 05:45:15 PM »
The prison work camp next to my office, who maintains our grounds, planted collards in our foundation beds this year. They also planted a couple of heads of cabbage. Our stuff is majorly eaten up. They harvested the collards once, but left the plants to grow. They also harvested the cabbage, but now those are putting out new heads... several per plant. Is that normal? Is this second growing of heads going to be as edible as the first? If so, I will prob snag at least one before they harvest again. Each plant has 3 to 4 heads on them now. They'll prob be smaller than the original.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tonya

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2009, 08:28:15 PM »
I usually wait until mine are the size of a cantaloupe like Dianna said. Not sure if that is the way you are supposed to do it, but it's how I do....

As for more heads.... Mine generally die back once I cut them... Never heard of growing more than one head per plant. I'll be interested to see how that is done.

Offline Ariel

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2010, 02:30:55 AM »
I planted some as well this year I agree with the comment above mine. That usually seems like a good size when u get them from the farm
"A Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help another up" -Anonymous

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal