Author Topic: Question about lettuce  (Read 2657 times)

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Question about lettuce
« on: Jun 15, 2009, 02:00:48 PM »
I usually keep a little lettuce bed growing in a shady area.  It's small, just enough to eat.  I throw out seeds and the lettuce comes up.  I've always used bib lettuce and it takes about a month for it to get big enough to eat.  This last time I put out some other type (can't remember what) and it's putting out flowers.  Some of the leaves are sort of red and the flowers are right at the top of a middle stalk.  The bib lettuce doesn't even have a stalk.  Any ideas what is going on?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Question about lettuce
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2009, 02:23:27 PM »
Sounds like your lettuce is bolting, Sheri. That happens when the weather is too hot for it. Lettuce is a cool weather crop from what I have read... ;)

Second paragraph of the link should answer your questions about it...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2009, 11:22:12 PM »
your right about it being a cool weather crop but I've never had a problem with it in this shady area.  I was out there tonight and I'm thinking that the road work has moved things around and now that shady spot is getting a little more sun.  The bib lettuce is still ok.

Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2009, 11:23:47 PM by bestofour »

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2009, 10:29:54 PM »
I got 2 different types of lettuce seeds and am going to plant in the same area again.  It's just a small spot and I'll put in new soil.  We'll see what happens.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2009, 10:40:46 PM »
I planted it in a window box and some hanging baskets last year and it done great.
This is me ->?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2009, 09:27:12 AM »
I've got window boxes.  That's a great idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal