Author Topic: Chrysanthemums  (Read 5155 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Chrysanthemums
« on: Jul 27, 2009, 09:17:46 PM »
I have read somewhere that you should pinch your mums back in July so that they will bloom again during the fall/winter. Is this true? My mums are blooming right now. Should I wait until they stop blooming before I do? How far do I pinch them back? Could I use scissors instead of pinching? :SmileyQmarks:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

johnnie

Re: Chrysanthemums
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2009, 03:46:26 PM »
The secret is to really pinch them out early (certainly before they flower) pinch them back to a joint then this will enable you to get sprays rather than big blooms in September. If you want big blooms then pinch out the side shoots (this is called disbudding). it is a trial and error task but not too difficult.You can use whatever you are able to cut with, secateurs better than scissors sometimes the growth is very woody and tough but when disbudding it should not be too difficult to nip them out between thumb and finger.
 Here is a link that may be helpful to you. sorry I am not allowed to post links I will send it PM
johnnie

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2009, 09:59:33 PM »
Thank you for the information, Johnnie. Sounds like I am a little bit late on doing what I should have already gotten done. Would it hurt to do it now? :ScratchHead:

After you have made 20 posts you will be able to post links into a topic. As an administrator of another SMF forum, I am sure that you understand why we put that into place. :grinnnn:

Thanks for the PM. I will go check out the link now... :BigGrin:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2009, 02:55:57 AM »
I am glad this came up. I need to go out and look between what is left of my columbines and see if the mums are coming up.  I did not clip them last year and they were so leggy.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

johnnie

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2009, 08:48:59 AM »
Dianna
Yes of course I understand about the links. It is not a problem.
With the SC climate I would have thought it would be fine to do it now, after all when Augusta comes around the rhododendrons and azaleas are in full bloom on the course, when here they have not even started to think about blooming.Trim them back to a leaf joint (a pair of buds) just as if you was dead heading them only take them a bit lower. When they have finished for the season cut them right back about 4" from the ground for a good growth start next year. chrysanths here will bloom right up until the first frosts then it is bye bye's until next year. Do you actually get a winter in SC ???  SC= :hot: UK=  :badmood: :rain3:
johnnie

Offline Skhilled

• Retro Gamer!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2009, 09:02:40 AM »
The secret is to really pinch them out early (certainly before they flower) pinch them back to a joint then this will enable you to get sprays rather than big blooms in September. If you want big blooms then pinch out the side shoots (this is called disbudding). it is a trial and error task but not too difficult.You can use whatever you are able to cut with, secateurs better than scissors sometimes the growth is very woody and tough but when disbudding it should not be too difficult to nip them out between thumb and finger.
 Here is a link that may be helpful to you. sorry I am not allowed to post links I will send it PM
johnnie

Will that also work for herbs like basil? I know it's a little off-topic but am having probs with them.

johnnie

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2009, 09:45:10 AM »

Yes a bit off topic but here you go.,
Basil originates from India and throughout asia so it is exremely frost tender, frost will kill it stone dead. We can only grow it outdoors in the uk during the summer months. Basil also loves moisture so a mulch will always help.

Pinch off the flower buds as soon as they begin to emerge. Basil will usually have to be pruned every 2 to 3 weeks.
if you want good crops
johnnie

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2009, 11:40:45 AM »
Here is the link that Johnnie sent me in the PM for the others that are interested. It has lots of great information on it. Thank you, Johnnie... :grinnnn:

The azaleas that I have bloom in the Spring here, Johnnie. It may be the type I have, though. :(

The first winter we were here we had an ice storm. We were without power for quite a few days. That is the exception for our winter instead of the rule, thank goodness. Our winters are quite mild compared to others. I am thankful for that... :BigGrin:

johnnie

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2009, 02:53:06 PM »
Our frosts can continue up to the end of May you dare not plant anything that is tender until the first week June if you do then you are taking a chance. most of the stuff that is summer flowering like dalias, gladiolis. pelergoniums, salvias, the list is endless can only be grown outside after the frost have passed. Tomatoes! well you need a heated greenhouse to bring the seedlings and a cold greenhouse if you want tomatoes early july, tomatoes outside will not ripen until August- September. I have seen tomatoes in the US in the garden (yard) they are huge.
johnnie

Offline Skhilled

• Retro Gamer!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2009, 09:10:30 AM »
Thanks. :)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2009, 06:05:43 AM »
I have bought two pots of mums this year both in full bloom of course.  The one that I brought with me from the old yard has just gotten buds on it which I'm going to let bloom.  The Gladiolus have just stopped blooming and this is the perfect time to see the mums.  This fall the old clump will get divided.  I'm looking forward to being able to spread them around.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2009, 07:55:05 PM »
If all my mums had spread like a couple did, the front flower bed would be full of blooms. Some of the mums are having problems, though. I can't figure out what caused this...

And though these two are in the same bed, with the same care and started off the same size, they are not growing much at all. Wonder why the others just sprouted up so much larger?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2009, 08:23:51 PM »
those are so pretty dianna.  problems and all.  i need to get some mums.  but i have to get my beds ready first.  that isn't happening like i'd like.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

johnnie

« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2009, 03:58:43 AM »

Looks like mildew or boritis to me. cut all the dead stuff out, rake the bark out from in and around the plant drench roots and leaves (not flowers) with anti fungal chemical then replace with different bit of bark or other mulch.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2009, 08:48:40 AM »
Looks like a dog peed on it to me.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2009, 01:16:45 PM »
Thank you, Johnny. Now if I can just figure out how to do the drenching of the leaves without wetting the flowers, I might be in business... :grinnnn:

Wrennie, no dog has peed on the mums. Angel is a girl baby and doesn't lift her leg. :giggle: There aren't any male dogs around at the neighbors, either... :wink5:

johnnie

« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2009, 05:42:52 PM »
part the blooms and stick the nozzle of the can or spray in the middle of the plant.Alternative: :smile: spray the whole plant, with your climate it's possible that it will bloom again this year

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 19, 2009, 06:52:40 AM »
I agree, it looks like a mildew of some sort, pretty plants though.

Jessica

« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2009, 11:37:44 AM »
Pretty mums, Dianna! I hope you can get them healthy again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal