Author Topic: Teddy Bear  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Peggy

Teddy Bear
« on: Apr 28, 2007, 04:00:46 PM »

Here ya go, Patty!
Here is a picture of Teddy Bear, this was taken yesterday afternoon.  He's quite the poser.. he sees the camera and almost always seems to have to do a little dance!
LOL. Our baby chicks were put in the little chicken house yesterday.  Just couldnt stand the smell of them in my kitchen anymore.  :) The first night they were out, I kept having nightmares of screaming chicks. But they all survived.  Teddy's hens still have not adopted them as I had hoped, but they are doing fine.  The ventured out today and are busy chasing bugs, and sitting in the sun, and scratching, just like the big chickens do.  So, every one seems to be fine! :) Hugs, PEg
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2007, 10:01:15 PM by pegrowe62 »
How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Teddy Bear
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2007, 11:02:20 PM »
What a pretty rooster! :) What kind is he?

I've always loved baby chickens, but I am scared of them when they get big.  ::) I think a rooster chased me when I was small and traumatized me...  ;)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Peggy

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2007, 11:42:14 PM »
He is a little banty (spelling??) rooster.. He's got such a cute crow!

And he is sweet and tame (thank's to Patty's kids).  The neighbors love to listen to him becuase he's not loud like a big rooster. We just kind of laugh and say, "Ya, we have a rooster with a broken crow."

He's very attentive to the hens too.. if I throw in some goodies, he makes his little noises to call over the girls.  He shows them the goodies and let's them have first choice. 

As far as I am concerned, If I ever have to have another rooster, it will only be a banty.  :)  Hugs, Peg

Offline Patty S

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2007, 11:31:39 AM »
Thanx for posting the pic of Teddy Bear, Peg.  I'll have to remember to show it to Mariann next time she comes over... she'll be glad to know that he's been a good boy & that you haven't had him for dinner!   She snuggled him all the time, from when he was too little to be able to tell if he was a hen or a rooster, & that's why he's so tame.  It sure sounds like he has some strong "maternal" instincts... must come from all the warm fuzzies he grew up with! (BTW & FYI, Teddy Bear is a Silver Laced Wyandotte Banty.)  I always liked my Banties best, cuz they were so docile... except the rooster, when one of his hens had a brood.  He was so protective, it was hard to get in the pen to change the water & feed them, cuz he'd get his hackles up & try to look mean!

Speaking of roosters... I was at Dave & Amy's yesterday & took a pic of some of their chickens...

Amy told me that they're going to have to get rid of "Rowdy". (He's the pretty red rooster in the front.)  He's getting old & has become aggressive... pinned BG down a couple weeks ago, when all she did was walk across the yard! He's always been in love with Amy... so much so, that from the time he was young, he'd attack whenever he saw somebody touch her! It was cute then, but has gotten out of control at this point.

She says that because he's so old & muscular, he'll probably only be good for stewing... but they'd have trouble eating him (or even butchering him, for that matter), cuz you know how the "pet thing" goes!  I'm sure that you wouldn't want him around your kids, & he might even give the dogs a run for their money... but he'd probably be good for a couple meals, & you wouldn't have as hard of a time butchering him as Amy & Dave would!

Do you want him? (I have a pet carrier that you can borrow, & we can go get him on Wednesday, when you come in for the Garden Club meeting.)

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2007, 11:45:14 AM by Patty S »

Offline Peggy

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 04:01:21 PM »
Forgot about Rowdy..what a good name for a rooster! And what a pretty flock!  if they end up with extra hens tell them they have a home here. 

We lost one of the other hens the other day. I have absolutely no clue why, except to say it was on the one hot day we have had.  They are close to a shade tree, they have their house, they have plenty of water... honestly, i don't get it. 

A hawk discovered our little brood of babies. He/She/it found two of our babies before I discovered the problem.  So I rounded them all up, put them back in the original enclosure, put a tarp over that and now, so far, no more losses. And, I've not seen the hawk since.  I actually caught it in the act... it dropped the baby it had, in our back yard, then Brutus the boy of our two dogs saw the baby and tried to eat it..  I had to yell at him!  He was a good boy and dropped the chicken.  So, then we raced to see who could get the baby next!  This little baby survived this whole ordeal and is one of the remaining seven babies!  I thought, I'd let Teddy and the remaining hen have some babies.  They have five eggs.. we'll see what happens.

;0)  hugs, peg

p.s. just took pictures of my iris, bamboo, and some other flower i need help in identifying.  peg

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal