Author Topic: Stopping erosion  (Read 3945 times)

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Stopping erosion
« on: Oct 09, 2009, 07:15:27 AM »
I have an area on a slant that I need to build up. How? It's right outside my back door on the right side of the back sidewalk. Erosion is taking it's toil. It slants into the back yard so the problem is I can't build up the entire yard. I need to build up the part that is at the edge of the sidewalk so it won't wash into the back yard. Make sense?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Stopping erosion
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2009, 09:34:49 AM »
I've taken some pictures.  We use this area as a pathway into the grass in the backyard.  It's probably only 3 feet until the grass.

side view

on the back step looking to the right

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2009, 05:38:29 PM »
I don't know if this would work or not, but what if you filled it in some and planted low growing ground cover that could grow between the stones as well. Would that help?
This is me ->?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »
There was some ground cover in that area when we moved in but I ended up pulling it up because it would kill anything else I planted there.

What do you think about some type of water feature in that area?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2009, 09:30:51 PM »
sheri, that would be the perfect place for the pond like thing i have.  it is 3 tier and would sit nicely in that slope.  and you could put stones around it to step on.  like gravel or river rocks.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2009, 10:20:30 PM »
A retaining wall would help, but you would have to ask someone else how to go about it. I need one now for our driveway, but can't quite figure out how... ::)

A pond would really be nice, but if the water naturally drains in the area, the pond still might overflow. Make sure you have some rock around it to keep your fishies in the pond (if you have fishies in it)... :grinnnn:

If you want ground cover, I have bugleweed (ajuga reptans). I have plenty and will share. I have heard it called invasive, but I think it is really pretty... :BigGrin:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2009, 10:34:53 PM »
I love my ajuga.  Though it does not look good raked over it sure spread a TON this year.  The 2 foot wide spot that it started out as is now about triple that.  Love, love, love it as a ground cover.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2009, 11:14:47 PM »
It is beautiful when it blooms. I'm over run with ajuga.
This is me ->?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2009, 08:39:26 PM »
I have ajuga too.  I could transplant to this area.  I think for sure we're going to go with some type of water feature.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2009, 08:41:08 PM »
bayou girl, do you have a picture of your pond.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »
an old picture, but shows the set up pretty well

it is about 38 inches  in height from top to bottom. but that is adjustable.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2009, 09:10:25 PM by bayou girl »
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »
Johnny and I were out there last night and have rethought the situation.  I think our lab, Porter, would destroy a water feature in that area.  He hangs around on that side of the house and that's were he loves to drink out of the faucet.  Plus there is a big tree that shades the area so the pond or water fall or whatever will stay constantly full of leaves.  So we have decided to build a retaining stone wall, add dirt, and continue to have it as a flower bed.

Offline Jayrod1972

« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2009, 02:42:37 PM »
Build small steps to put there either out of trated wood or concrete... or you could build a box to plant in, or a storage box of some sort, beer cooler, heh just a thought.  :BigGrin:
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2009, 02:44:53 PM by Jayrod1972 »
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me”

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2009, 02:45:27 PM »
Jayrod, that's in our plan.  We're going to build it up except for one spot and then put in steps because I think it will look so good.  Thanks.

johnnie

« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2009, 03:26:27 PM »
Have you thought about terracing the area or making it like a rockery with sort of stepping stones in the middle

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2009, 05:32:24 PM »
I did think of terracing Johnnie and just may do that.  We were going to start working this weekend but it's been raining for 2 weeks and it's very wet.  Maybe have to put it off a week or two.

Wish I could talk you into crossing the sea and visiting for a while.  You could use my shovel. :idea:

johnnie

« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2009, 03:52:44 AM »
perhaps you may get an idea if you look at my pond sort of thing, if you look at it with the view of creating a terrace and instead of being a waterfall it could be steps and create terracing either side. I'm not saying make it the same but maybe use the theory behind the idea.  :ScratchHead:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2009, 10:23:26 AM »
good idea.

Jessica

« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2009, 10:28:51 AM »
Can't wait to see what you do with that area, Sheri.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal