Author Topic: Learning to Quilt  (Read 11693 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Learning to Quilt
« Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:13:37 PM »
Good luck jessica.  It's a great block but I don't know what I would have done without a teacher right there with me.

I've been looking over that website.  I've choosen some beginner blocks.  The size quilt I want would require 15 nine inch blocks of which I have one done lol.

I was thinking of doing 3 more of the bow ties one for each corner so there would be some regularity.  Should I do that or make them all different?

I liked these best of the beginner blocks I found in size 9":
Alabama, Dutch Nine Patch, Homeward Bound, Nine Patch Straight Furrows, Path & Stiles, Double Necktie, Roman Squares, Shortcut to School, I also want to do a medalion Square if it is possible.  That's from another website and I'm not sure about the sizes it can be made it.  I'm rather excited about the hole thing although I don't think I'm going to turn out to be very good at it.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #51 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:42:36 PM »
Jessica have you thought about your library?  My library does stuff like this all the time.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #52 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:30:23 PM »
Bummer that it cannot be read.  Thought I would try it.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Jessica

« Reply #53 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:32:20 PM »
I don't think my library does anything like this but I guess I can check.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #54 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:05:33 AM »
Ok next question.  Is the size of a block how big it is after it's sewn into the quilt or the size it is when the block is made and it isn't attached to anything?

And how do I cut a square so that it is actually square.  Do I make a template and then cut from it?  I know it sounds like such a simple thing to do but I'm having problems here.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:06:26 AM »
I've been saving cereal boxes and the like so I'll have tag board to make templates.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #56 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:36:47 AM »
I would think to get a perfect square you'd have to cut them out using a template.  Maybe even cut them with a razor to make sure it's even.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:27:36 AM »
I like to use a rotary cutter, ruler, and a mat  to get a perfect square, Tammy.  However it requires a $20-50 investment.  Well, I was just going to share how to do it but I found a tutorial wiht photos and I am sure it will be more helpful than any explanation I come up with. 

Make A Square Template.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #58 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »
I surrender.  I didn't understand the tutorial.  And I didn't see any pictures.  I guess I'm just to old and dumb.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:45:57 AM »
The pics run along the top of the page - just above the words.  It was kinda a crumby tute, let me see if I can explain it.

To make a 3 inch square:
Take a piece of uncut notebook or copy paper.
Pick your favorite corner and put an X on it, so you always remember that it's the best corner ever.
Point your favorite corner towards your tummy.
With a rule lined up on the edge of your paper, carefully measure 3 inches from your favorite corner, mark this spot. 
Don't flip over your paper - just go to the other side of your favorite corner and measure up 3 inches.
You now have 2 marks on the paper.
Go to the first mark you made and lay the ruler so it goes perpendicular (makes a T shape) with your paper, line up the hash marks on the ruler with the edge of the paper that has the mark on it.  Now draw a line 3 inches long.  Repeat this again for the other side of the paper and cut on the line.  You should have a perfect square.

I can take pics of the process if you need.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #60 on: Jan 14, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »
your not going to believe this but it didn't come out square.  When I folded it in half the triangles that result don't match up.  It's kind of like a parallelogram.  Betcha I messed up the spelling on that one.  Maybe my paper wasn't square to begin with?

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:42:15 PM »
I should have been square....  Hmm.  Can you cut straight??  I can't.  Without a rotary cutter I can't ever do a perfect square.  The main part with quilting is just to be sure it's close - it doesn't have to be dead on.  I can't sew straight either.  As a perfectionist, both of these inabilities drive me nuts and lead to lots of frustrated shoutings.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #62 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »
Well it was close about an 8th off I think.  Is that close enough?  No I definitely can't cut straight even with a left handed rotary cutter.  I even ran it against a metal ruler but the material moves.  It's really frustrating.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:29:10 AM »
You can always starch your fabric if it is being squirrely.  Larger pieces of fabric tend to be more wiggly than smaller pieces too.  I don't think that being off an 1/8 or less is bad at all.  I just try to get my stuff as close to the proper size as I can without going crazy.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #64 on: Jan 15, 2010, 01:54:29 PM »
Ok I'll try to stick to that. 

I've been studying the lessons on the website that was suggested.  I'm up to lesson 3 Paper piecing.  I've printed out the sample now I just have to do the rest of the lesson.  Maybe tomorrow I'm feeling alittle tired right now.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #65 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »
Match and Wack was mentioned at the meeting as a technique that one of the women used to cut her pieces out.  It looked really cool.  Does anyone know that technique?  It makes for a really cool patchwork quilt.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #66 on: Jan 16, 2010, 02:07:51 PM »
Well I'm up from my nap and I finally have the two templates made.  We'll see how well they work.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #67 on: Jan 16, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
Hope they do!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #68 on: Jan 16, 2010, 08:49:51 PM »
I still don't understand the paper piecing thing.  Couldn't you just do it the normal way and save yourself the pinning, sewing and copying?

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #69 on: Jan 17, 2010, 02:46:02 AM »
Yes, Tammy, you sure could.  I like paper piecing for more intricate patterns because you will get a pretty-darn-near perfect block every time.  I used it for a picky 4 inch pattern for my sister's baby.  Let me see if I can find a pic...
Here is is:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #70 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:50:38 AM »
I've seen that block I think.  Crazy Stars or something like that?  It looks cool.  Especially the way you spotlighted some of the squares by using lighter colored backgrounds.  Thank you for explaining why paper piecing is used.  I was getting flustered.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #71 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:58:37 AM »
That is a beautiful quilt, Sarah. I would be frustrated too.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #72 on: Jan 17, 2010, 10:48:43 AM »
Ok next question that isn't answered on the website because she probaby knows how to sew and assumes I do (so not).  Which zipper foot is best for doing paper piecing.  I used pretty much a standard one and I was about 1/8 inch off the whole way.  Would the invisable zipper one be better?  

And with a kenmore sewing machine is 1 the smaller stitch or 4?  

And why am I doing this to myself anyway?

And how do you store your templates?
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2010, 10:56:22 AM by duh »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #73 on: Jan 17, 2010, 12:09:35 PM »
Test out which is the smaller stitch. It used to be the larger the number, the smaller the stitch. (how many stiches per inch, kind of). I have no clue on the zipper foot thing.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #74 on: Jan 17, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
That makes so much sense.  I'm such a "duh". 

Well I finished my first paper piece block.  And I noticed something.  If the blue in one piece runs into the same blue in another piece it kind of messes up the design doesn't it?

Oh well that's what samplers are for lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal