Author Topic: Learning to Quilt  (Read 11694 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Re: Learning to Quilt
« Reply #75 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:33:35 PM »
Well I finished my first paper piece block.  And I noticed something.  If the blue in one piece runs into the same blue in another piece it kind of messes up the design doesn't it?

:dunno:  I'm not quite sure what your question means...I'm confused although it is pretty easy to confuse me.   :stars:

And a zipper foot for paper piecing??  I'm not sure why you would need to use one.  I always use my regular foot.  The only reason why I can think it would say zipper foot would be so you could see the line you are sewing better.  I would say, use whatever foot you are comfortable with, just make sure you are sewing on the proper line. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #76 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:48:34 AM »
Yep that's what I was looking for, a way to stay on the line.  But I'm getting there.  I also noticed that I lost my 1/4 inch foot somewhere between the library where the club meets and home.  That hurts.

Well I got 4 more of the paper pieces made so I can do another three blocks and then put them together for one block of the sampler.  Then it's on to the next lesson.  Can't wait to see what it will be.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #77 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:39:58 AM »
Calculating Yardage, I have to ask are they kidding?  I'd need a phd in math to follow that lesson plan.  Arrrrrrgh.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #78 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:56:59 AM »
Well I got the material cut for the next three paper piece diamond blocks.  But I felt to nervous to actually do the pinning and sewing.  I'm not sure what is up with that.  So I went on and cut the templates for the 9 inch cobblestone.  That's going to be my center piece for the sampler.  Or at least I think it will. 

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »
I always guess and try to buy a bit extra.  It has only came back to bite me once.  I can't wait to see your sampler!!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #80 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:26:53 PM »
well i got 3 of the pieces together on 3 of the mini blocks so 2 pieces to go.  Then it's just a matter of putting them all together. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #81 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:54:57 AM »
Well I went out to the car and found the 1/4" foot I'm so glad.  I'll definitely put all the feet in the carry bag when I'm travelling around rather than leaving it on the shank from now on.

I ordered a book from Amazon called "The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide: From A to Z-- Hundreds of Tips and Techniques for Successful Quiltmaking."  It had a bunch of rave reviews so I'll hope for the best.

I had better speed up on the sampler because I've run into 2 other projects I want to do.  One is a Euti box and the other is a pocket that hangs down the sewing cabinet to hold all the tools that you use at the sewing machine.  They both sound like wonderful projects and I can't wait to try them. 

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #82 on: Jan 20, 2010, 01:57:03 PM »
the other is a pocket that hangs down the sewing cabinet to hold all the tools that you use at the sewing machine.

I have a project just like that, except it also has a mini catchall on it for things like thread, bits of fabric, etc, that need to thrown away but usually wind up all over the floor, or in my case, stuck to my clothes.  I've been meaning to make one...  I can post a link to the tut if you are interested.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #83 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:23:54 PM »
I'd be very interested.  Thank you for offering.  Even if I don't get to it right away I can bookmark it for later.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 20, 2010, 04:47:14 PM »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #85 on: Jan 20, 2010, 05:44:19 PM »
That is very cute.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #86 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:42:09 PM »
Notice that person has a bandaid around a finger.  That's why I don't sew.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #87 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:00:14 AM »
That is cute.  I've read that they have them that have different pockets to hold snip sissors and other things that are frequently used at the sewing machines.  I think I'll look for those.  Especially since I'm left handed and all the tools keep ending up underneath the material and then on the floor.

Last night I got the last two triangles sewing on the 4 4 inch diamond pattern block.  and then I trimmed all for mini blocks.  After that i trimmed the edges.  Today the plan is to sew them all together and have them all come out with their point together.  What do you think my chances are? lol I can guess.  It's fun to try; but, I may not feel that way after I see the completed quilt.
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010, 08:03:44 AM by duh »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #88 on: Jan 21, 2010, 11:31:44 AM »
Well howdy-do it came out just fine - except it is an 8 inch block rather than a nine inch block so I'll have to add a 1 inch boarder before it can go on the quilt.  But that's ok.  I'm sure boards are going to be a future lesson soon.

After completing that block I was so excited that I did the cobblestone block.  It came out very well and is the same size as the bowtie so I'm on a roll.

The next lesson is an Applique Block.  The lesson plan doesn't give me a template so I found one of a butterfly and I'm going to try that.  This technique is using the needleturning technique.  I haven't blind stitched in just about forever so this could take some time. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #89 on: Jan 21, 2010, 11:53:49 AM »
Well I cut out the butterfly Templates.  I may need to practice my rotary cutting techniques before I even think about cutting into the material for this project.  So I'm going to take a break and watch some tv.  And maybe even take a nap.  It's a gray day here and it is sapping my strength.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #90 on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:20:31 PM »
You sure have gotten a lot accomplished Tammy!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #91 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:30:30 PM »
It's not really that much but it's a start.  I don't know how I'm going to cut out those butterflies unless i use a paper pattern and scissors.  And I'm thinking I'll by pass the needleturning and just get the fusing and do it that way.  That means the next thing for me to practice is the satin stitch on the machine.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #92 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:05:29 AM »
Well not being in the mood to attack the applique I decided to print out the rest of the blocks I want to have for the sample quilt.  That will save me running back and forth to read the directions.  The computer room is at one end of the house and the multipurpose room is at the other end. 

So I have now put a dent in my color inks and I have the directions and templates for the other blocks.  I'm feeling like I've accomplished something so that's good.

Now maybe I can get some other things done.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #93 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »
Well I went to Wal-mart to see if they had the Fusing web - they didn't.  But I did get a quilting 6 1/2 inch see-thru ruler, a pencil sharpener for the colored pencils, a 1/2 inch binder and 50 document protectors along with a legal sized expandable file holder with 26 pockets.  So given alittle bit of time I'll be much more organized. 

Jessica

« Reply #94 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:02:32 PM »
Our Wal-Mart does not carry any fabric anymore and not much as far as craft supplies go. I am disappointed.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #95 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:26:31 PM »
Our walmarts have also gone to no fabric and very little in other supplies. My town actually has no fabric places any more. I have to travel for fabric.

Jessica

« Reply #96 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »
My town doesn't have any fabric either and never has because we live outside a small town.  I was surprised Wal-Mart quit carrying it.  I can go to Jo-Anns in the same town though so it isn't too bad.  Just makes for an extra stop if it was something I could have just picked up at Wal-Mart.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #97 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:42:40 PM »
Our Jo-Anns closed before Walmart stopped carrying the fabric. I live outside a big town/small city. (pop. 205k  +) I can zip to 5 different Walmarts in under an hour. But no fabric.

Jessica

« Reply #98 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:45:52 PM »
I live outside a town of 4,000.  I drive 30 miles to a town of about 50,000 and they have a lot of stores.  3 or 4 fabric stores and then Wal-Mart, Target, Kohls, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.  So, I guess I shouldn't complain.  Sounds like you have to go even further.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #99 on: Jan 22, 2010, 03:35:13 PM »
No, I think it is about 25 miles to the nearest town with a Jo-Ann's. They also have another fabric store that the name escapes me right now. I just think it is odd for a town the size of ours to have no fabric stores.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal