Author Topic: Lower Electric Bill?  (Read 2772 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Lower Electric Bill?
« on: Jan 01, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
I'm in shock.

Last year my December bill was for 1127 kWh of energy and it was very warm for December.  This year my December bill was for 684 kWh of energy and it's cold.  So what is different?  The only thing I did different is put up that insulation film for the windows.  It did say a 74% increase in insulation.  I guess they really weren't kidding.  I'm thrilled by the difference. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Lower Electric Bill?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2010, 03:53:06 PM »
That is wonderful and a good testimonial, Tammy.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:30:15 PM »
Yes it is. I may have to invest in some of it. My power bill went up by $100 this month. We had a couple of cold snaps. That is the only difference I can think of.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:34:54 PM »
wow!  what kind, give me all the info you can!!!  i need all the help i can get. and if it has uv protection too, i'm even farther ahead!  thanks.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
It's from Gila it's called Advanced Heat Control Window Film.  It's the one that comes in the green box.  Rejects 72% of sun's heat, blocks glare, reduces fading.  it's 3 feet by 15 feet for 1 roll.  It's a Home Depot product I guess at least it has home depot ECO Options printed on the box.  It costs 35 bucks a roll so it isn't cheap.  But then I've made that back pretty much this month.  And I bought 4 rolls. 

I can tell you that with 3 people it goes up really fast.  With two people you can get it up without to much problem.  With just one person I couldn't do it.  It stuck to everything except what I needed it to.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2010, 07:23:40 PM »
i need to check that out.  even if i got one roll at a time, i have 3 windows that during the summer, from what you are saying, it would pay for itself in one month.  between scott, matthew and me, we should be able to get it done.

does it go outside or inside? does it make it darker? (like tinting?)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:22:31 PM »
it goes up inside and makes it look like a mirror from the outside.  It does darken the rooms alittle bit but the difference hasn't bothered me.

I did my bay window and sliding glass doors first.  I still haven't done the bedrooms.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:10:18 PM »
cool.  so i would do the big window in the dining room first.  then the other windows.  that is the one that draws the most heat in the summer afternoons.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2010, 01:46:16 PM »
you know it's funny I didn't notice much improvement this summer but this winter now that was a difference. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal