Author Topic: #2 Bird/critter in the spotlight Goldfinch  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
#2 Bird/critter in the spotlight Goldfinch
« on: Jan 02, 2010, 09:33:25 AM »
The American Goldfinch

Quote:This handsome little finch, the state bird of New Jersey, Iowa, and
Washington, is welcome and common at feeders, where it takes primarily
sunflower and nyjer. Goldfinches often flock with Pine Siskins and
Common Redpolls. Spring males are brilliant yellow and shiny black with
a bit of white. Females and all winter birds are more dull but
identifiable by their conical bill; pointed, notched tail; wingbars;
and lack of streaking. During molts they look bizarrely patchy.
from, http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Goldfinch/id

Alot of people call goldfinch wild canaries. They are not at all related to canaries. Well except for the bird part. Ya' know.
Also the bright gold is the males breeding colors. He molts to a grayish khaki sort of color in fall. Lots of people think they migrate because they dont see the gold anymore. Nope, they stay here(in the northeast) all year, they just change their "clothes".

My Goldfinch Story:
One day in the summer a couple of years ago, I had a finch feeder hanging on a 2 armed shepherds hook. The finch would perch on top of the hooks and wait for an empty perch. I look out, and theres a male goldfinch hanging upside down from the center of the hook, where the 2 arms meet. Well, they will hang upside down to eat, but he didn't look right. I walked over to the feeder and all the other finch flew away! He flapped his wings but his little leg was stuck! So I held him for support with one hand and tried to remove the second arm with my other hand. No good, it was rusted solid!! I give a light push/pull to see if his leg will just slide out, nope. I was so scared of breaking it or worse. So I try smacking it from underneath to get it to let go. (the arm not the bird) It wont budge. Now I'm standing there, smacking the hook, holding the poor little bird, crying, praying to God, mother earth, any deity that will listen to freaking HELP ME!
Another smack, and.......... *gasp* he was FREE! Yay! Huge relief! I looked him over, no apparent break or cut on his leg. I gave him a little pet, told him he's ok now and let him fly off.
Then I go looking for rope, or string or something to wrap around the arm in the nook, so no one elses leg can get caught. I was NOT going through that again! I get it all wrapped up. Came back out to watch at the hook, and this little yellow dart came from the tree across the yard right at me. I watch, thinking he's going to the food, nope, he's making a bee line straight towards my head!! (eek!) about a foot or two away he makes a hard left and lands in the tree next to me, he sits there looking at me chattering. Can this be the bird I just helped?? Then he goes to the hook. perches on top, holds out his right leg, looks at me, still chattering, looks at his leg, at the crook where he was stuck and back at me and stops 'talking'. Holy Crap! He just came back and said thank you! Truly one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had, and one I will never forget.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2010, 08:58:35 AM by Wrennie »

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: #2 Bird/critter in the spotlight
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2010, 12:35:30 PM »
That is a truly awesome story, Wrennie. I have been 'thanked' by parent birds for putting babies back in the nest a couple of times so I know it can happen.
I love our gold finches. They are a bright spot in any day to see.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Re: #2 Bird/critter in the spotlight Goldfinch
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:51:42 AM »
They are very pretty arent they? Sometimes a warbler goes by across the road in the shrubs. I kept telling Marton I was seeing them. He assumed those yellow flashes over there were goldfinch. Never knew it was something different.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:08:35 AM »
That is a fantastic story, Wrennie. :ThumbUp: I'm so glad that he didn't have a broken leg or something. Very sweet of you to fix the hook, too, so that no one else could get caught up in it... :applause:

I have had a bird thank me, too, for helping her...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:49:42 AM »
I know they turn colors in the winter but I don't see as many at the feeders once it gets cold.  Wonder where around my neighborhood they go to eat.   My favorite color is yellow.  I love seeing them.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
Wonderful story!
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:49:54 PM »
awesome story
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:13:22 PM »
Great story and such a beautiful bird.
This is me ->?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:23:29 PM »
Here's a picture of a goldfinch that was in my yard this summer.  I think the way their back feathers are fixed are so pretty.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:12:21 PM »
 :Wow: That is a beautiful picture, Sheri! :ThumbUp:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »
 :ScratchHead: i thought i said how pretty that was... guess i didn't.  but it is  :good2:
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:29:21 AM »
:BigGrin: pretty!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal